Connection Issues

Jey2024

Jey2024

Hello team,

First of all, I'd like to inform you that I found similar threads regarding my issue and tried all the troubleshooting steps, but I couldn't figure out the problem.

I signed up for a seedbox at seedbox.eu with the intention of installing an Android client to stream media from the seedbox. Initially, I tried Plex, but the movie kept crashing in the middle, so I uninstalled Plex and installed Emby instead. The web version of Emby worked great. It prompted me to create a profile, linked to the seedbox, and allowed me to add a library and stream without any issues.

However, I'm encountering issues with the Android app. Despite trying to add the server multiple times, I keep receiving errors stating "Unable to reach server." I'm using 4G data, not Wi-Fi. Remote connection is enabled, and the whitelist is empty, so it should allow all IPs.

In the Emby web dashboard, here's what I can see:

Version 4.8.3.0
Emby Server is up to date
Running on HTTP port 8096
In-Home (LAN) access: http://172.1x.x.x:8096
Remote (WAN) access: http://3.x.x.x:8096

Naturally, I tried using the remote access IP, but it did not work. I reviewed all the settings, and everything appears to be fine.

Next, I attempted to create an Emby Connect account and mapped that account with my Emby dashboard in the web interface. It connected successfully. However, when I logged into my Android device using that account, the server was added automatically, but the server IP was mapped to the in-home (private) IP http://172.1x.x.x:8096. Clicking on that did not work and resulted in the same error.

All I want is to stream my seedbox media using Android and my mobile data. Can someone assist with this issue?

Hi @jeyaprakash200eI would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

Connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

Next, I attempted to create an Emby Connect account and mapped that account with my Emby dashboard in the web interface

Please note, if you can't connect manually, then Emby Connect isn't going to work any magic to get around that.

Emby Connect is simply a shortcut to save you from having to enter the server address manually. It's nothing more than that, so I would focus on getting the manual connection to work first.

Jey2024
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi @jeyaprakash200eI would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

Connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

Thanks for the reply, Luke. I actually checked that guide. The problem is, I can't perform any local network troubleshooting or adjust firewall settings such as port forwarding because the Emby server is hosted externally by the seedbox provider.

I checked the external IP and port 8096, but it says the port is closed. It could very well be an issue with the seedbox provider. So, I'm going to open a ticket with them.

Jey2024

Update - 

As I suspected, they had a custom port number. Using that custom port, I was able to connect without any issues. The app is awesome and very responsive. Unfortunately, downloading subtitles requires a paid subscription, which is a deal breaker for me at this stage.

Thank you for the support.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, jeyaprakash200e said:

Unfortunately, downloading subtitles requires a paid subscription, which is a deal breaker for me at this stage.

Where does is say that?

Jey2024

While playing the video, when I press the CC button, it says "Off" even though the media comes with inbuilt subtitles. Then there is a "Search for Subtitles" option. When I click that, it asks me to sign up for Emby Premiere. The title says "Unlock Feature."

But I did some online research and it looks like we can configure opensubtitles. So, I created an account, added my account, etc. Then, when I go to the media list and click on three dots > Edit Subtitles, it gives me an option to search. But I always end up with "No results found" even after I changed the meta information.

- May I know why inbuilt subtitles are not loading in any of the media?

- I couldn't download the subtitles even after configuring opensubtitles. If I manually search the opensubtitles site, I can see the subtitle file, so that's not an issue.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, jeyaprakash200e said:

While playing the video, when I press the CC button, it says "Off" even though the media comes with inbuilt subtitles. Then there is a "Search for Subtitles" option. When I click that, it asks me to sign up for Emby Premiere. The title says "Unlock Feature."

But I did some online research and it looks like we can configure opensubtitles. So, I created an account, added my account, etc. Then, when I go to the media list and click on three dots > Edit Subtitles, it gives me an option to search. But I always end up with "No results found" even after I changed the meta information.

- May I know why inbuilt subtitles are not loading in any of the media?

- I couldn't download the subtitles even after configuring opensubtitles. If I manually search the opensubtitles site, I can see the subtitle file, so that's not an issue.

Okay yes during playback get subs is Premiere, but getting subs before playback is not.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, jeyaprakash200e said:

Need specific examples and server logs for what you are looking for.  But obviously needs its own topic

But would guess even with Premiere you would have the same issue that needs troubleshot.

Jey2024
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Need specific examples and server logs for what you are looking for.  But obviously needs its own topic

But would guess even with Premiere you would have the same issue that needs troubleshot.

Understood. Thanks for the reply. I downloaded 6 new movies. All 6 come with inbuilt subtitles. However, Emby is detecting subtitles for 2 movies as SRT, but the others are showing as empty. I will open a new topic if needed.

Overall, the connection issue is resolved. It might be worth mentioning in your troubleshooting guide something along the lines of - Please check with your seedbox provider or the service provider to see if they are using a custom port etc

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, jeyaprakash200e said:

Overall, the connection issue is resolved. It might be worth mentioning in your troubleshooting guide something along the lines of - Please check with your seedbox provider or the service provider to see if they are using a custom port etc

That is good.  But since most of these providers potentially do their own builds, it is out of Emby's control.  But If they are doing something beyond default then they should have a How To for you to follow as I know whatbox.ca has their own instructions and connection port in their Wiki.