45 minutes ago, dvesely said:

Here are my settings:

Subtitle Downloads

Download Languages

English

Subtitle Downloaders

Addic7ed

Open Subtitles
Open Subtitles requires additional setup on the Open Subtitles settings screen in Emby Server.
Enable and rank your preferred subtitle downloaders in order of priority. More subtitle providers can be installed using the Emby plugin catalog.
Require a hash match
Requiring a hash match will filter subtitles to include only those that have been tested with your exact video file. Unchecking this will increase the number of matched subtitles, but will also increase the chances of mistimed or incorrect subtitle text.
Forced subtitles only
Requiring forced subtitles will limit results to subtitles that are tagged as having a foreign language.
Stop trying to automatically download subtitles for videos older than
No age limit14 days30 days60 days90 days120 days180 days
This is based on the date added metadata value.
Skip if the default audio track matches the download language
Uncheck this to ensure all videos have subtitles, regardless of audio language.
Skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles
Keeping text versions of subtitles will result in more efficient delivery and decrease the likelihood of video transcoding.
Save downloaded subtitles into media folders
Storing subtitles next to video files will allow them to be more easily managed.

?  ... have you set 'Save downloaded subtitles into media folders' to yes ?

visproduction

Probably obvious, but the subtitles would only appear when each episode is playing or on each episodic page, if there is one.  If episode one is playing, obviously, subtitles for episode two should not appear anywhere.  Only on episode two info page, if there is one or during epsiode two playback, would the subtitle for this episode be able to be clicked.  Since none have the .default, no subtitle will start automatically for any episode.

DV, you are saying that while you are playing another episode the CC option button to turn on the subtitle is not available.  Maybe look at the file to see if it is correctly setup for .srt.  Perhaps there is a promo line from the software in some .srt files that causes a problem.

dvesely
26 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Probably obvious, but the subtitles would only appear when each episode is playing or on each episodic page, if there is one.  If episode one is playing, obviously, subtitles for episode two should not appear anywhere.  Only on episode two info page, if there is one or during epsiode two playback, would the subtitle for this episode be able to be clicked.  Since none have the .default, no subtitle will start automatically for any episode.

DV, you are saying that while you are playing another episode the CC option button to turn on the subtitle is not available.  Maybe look at the file to see if it is correctly setup for .srt.  Perhaps there is a promo line from the software in some .srt files that causes a problem.

Here is a sample of one of the subtitles that I'm trying to use. Can you see anything wrong with it? I've checked my subtitle settings 5 times. I've scanned , checked metadata, rebooted, prayed, but there are no subtitles available. Either in the episode description page or when it is playing. I have the CC button, but the only option is to search and it never finds.

I think I'm going to setup Emby on my laptop to see if I have the same problem.

Thank you!!!

Mysteries at the Museum S01E02 DVDRip x264.en.srt

Lessaj
3 hours ago, dvesely said:

Here are my settings:

Subtitle Downloads

Download Languages

English

Subtitle Downloaders

Addic7ed

Open Subtitles
Open Subtitles requires additional setup on the Open Subtitles settings screen in Emby Server.
Enable and rank your preferred subtitle downloaders in order of priority. More subtitle providers can be installed using the Emby plugin catalog.
Require a hash match
Requiring a hash match will filter subtitles to include only those that have been tested with your exact video file. Unchecking this will increase the number of matched subtitles, but will also increase the chances of mistimed or incorrect subtitle text.
Forced subtitles only
Requiring forced subtitles will limit results to subtitles that are tagged as having a foreign language.
Stop trying to automatically download subtitles for videos older than
No age limit14 days30 days60 days90 days120 days180 days
This is based on the date added metadata value.
Skip if the default audio track matches the download language
Uncheck this to ensure all videos have subtitles, regardless of audio language.
Skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles
Keeping text versions of subtitles will result in more efficient delivery and decrease the likelihood of video transcoding.
Save downloaded subtitles into media folders
Storing subtitles next to video files will allow them to be more easily managed.

Can you post this as screenshots instead? Copy paste doesn't work.

dvesely
6 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

Can you post this as screenshots instead? Copy paste doesn't work.

Thanks for your help! Had to split it into two shots!

subtitle2.png

subtitle1.png

Lessaj

I created a folder/season/episode structure of the series using a random video file that only had a video/audio track. I only use OpenSubtitles but it couldn't find a subtitle for the episode, so only the one I placed there would be available.

image.png.ac04d44a8f4542da918c79fbedcc51a7.png

Then I added the file to the folder, and refreshed the metadata for the episode. I actually have a ton of debugging enabled and it never once mentions the SRT in the log, however it's there now. No issues playing back with this subtitle file enabled.

image.png.52b0a124396de9b6d6c2ee45ad1abb98.png

image.thumb.png.be68989be7cb35841e3d24482a5f249f.png

dvesely

So, what do you recommend I do? Do I need to put each episode in its own folder?

What do I name the folder?  That's a lot of work for 23 seasons!

Thank you for your help!

Lessaj

I also tried setting the ownership of the SRT file to root:root with 400 permissions and it was still able to pick up the existence of the SRT, however upon trying to play is when there was an access denied on the file (but it did still play, just no subs). This wouldn't apply to you directly because you're on Windows but I wanted to see the behaviour even when the permissions were not correct.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/raid/dataset/Mysteries at the Museum/Season 1/Mysteries at the Museum S01E02 DVDRip x264.en.srt' is denied.

I realized I created "Season 1" instead of "S01" but I moved the folder and rescanned and still not an issue. So there doesn't appear to me to be any issues with your naming convention, the SRT itself, or even your subtitle settings. You said you checked the metadata, does that mean you refreshed the metadata on an episode where you don't see subs in Emby, even with an SRT file in the folder?

I doubt this would be the case based on my previous observation regarding file ownership/permissions but it's always possible to be different between Linux and Windows, so what do the permissions look like on an MKV vs the related SRT?

32 minutes ago, dvesely said:

So, what do you recommend I do? Do I need to put each episode in its own folder?

What do I name the folder?  That's a lot of work for 23 seasons!

Thank you for your help!

Hi, no, you don't need to do this.

rbjtech

so SRT looks fine, as do the subtitle settings for that library.

If you turn on debug logging - and then force a Metadata Refresh of just the TV library - and then post the log - we can see if it is scanning for the new SRT files.

As Lessaj has said above, I create .SRT files all the time from other sources and just copy them into the Season folder, with the same episode name as the original MKV and they are picked up even without having to scan - so I'm not sure why yours is not tbh .. 🤔

visproduction

Cache update issue?  Forcing an refresh may not get all the .srt right away.  Do they appear when you try a refresh for all libraries?  Does it help to refresh each library separately?

Edited by visproduction