Help with Subtitles...

dvesely

dvesely

Hello Emby People!

I am trying to get subtitles for TV episodes. In particular I have all seasons of Mysteries at the Museum.

I have setup my folder and file structure like the example on this page with the exception that my episodes also contain the name of the episode.

I have configured opensubtitles.COM but it never finds subtitles for these episodes. (I set the library to auto download and have tried manually downloading them using Emby)

Some episodes say they have subtitles called (Default EIA_608) but these won't load.

I'd really appreciate help fixing this.

Attached is a sample of my file structure as a picture is worth...

Dan

Emby.png

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, dvesely said:

I have configured opensubtitles.COM but it never finds subtitles for these episodes. (I set the library to auto download and have tried manually downloading them using Emby)

It appears opensubtitles.com have no subtitles for:

8 minutes ago, dvesely said:

Mysteries at the Museum

hence no hits. 

Screenshot_20240320_223110.jpg

dvesely

Thank you! 

Do you know of another place I might be able to find these subtitles?

GrimReaper

Sorry, no, IMHO if it ain't on OpenSubtitles chances are miniscule they'll be available somewhere else (though not non-existent), maybe on some obscure/minor sites. 

Subscene also doesn't have them, Addic7ed has only few random ones, negligible. 

RanmaCanada
10 minutes ago, dvesely said:

Thank you! 

Do you know of another place I might be able to find these subtitles?

You can create them on your own with Whisper by using Subtitle Edit.  Subtitles are considered copyright infringement.  If you didn't rip your content with them, or your pirated content did not have them, you need to create your own.  The process is fairly easy, and English is one of the better languages for AI to create subs for.  They aren't 100% perfect all the time, but extremely close.  If the video is too complicated, here is a post from the videohelp forums that might make it easier.

• Like 3

rbjtech
17 hours ago, dvesely said:

Some episodes say they have subtitles called (Default EIA_608) but these won't load.

You may be able to use ccextractor or even subtitle edit to convert the closed captions to external SRT files.  Emby will then be able to use those subs.

dvesely

The Whisper Subtitle generator is the best invention since sliced bread! Thank you for this suggestion.

I did an entire season of episodes at once using the Whisper engine and I can see it saved all the subtitle files in the folder with the episodes. They have the identical names , just the extension is different (.srt). 

However EMBY does not see them!

I tried scanning library files and even rebooting the PC. but no luck. How do I fix this? 
Log attached. Both before and after above reboot.

Thanks for your help

Dan

embyserver.txt embyserver-1.txt

pwhodges

Try adding .en before .srt in each file name (like "<name>.en.srt"), so that Emby can see that they are English subtitles.  And what subtitle mode do you have in your app settings, anyway?

Paul

rbjtech

On your TV library - in the library options - you need to select the 'Save downloaded subtitles into media folders'.

I believe you need also may need to Refresh metadata on the items, not just scan the library - you can do this at the show level.

The log file only contains one conversion for these files .. does s01e01 have an emby sub option ?

image.thumb.png.cd1a6d5a16dccc3cf087a144b9a5e7bd.png

rbjtech
On 20/03/2024 at 21:56, RanmaCanada said:

You can create them on your own with Whisper by using Subtitle Edit.  Subtitles are considered copyright infringement.  If you didn't rip your content with them, or your pirated content did not have them, you need to create your own.  The process is fairly easy, and English is one of the better languages for AI to create subs for.  They aren't 100% perfect all the time, but extremely close.  If the video is too complicated, here is a post from the videohelp forums that might make it easier.

Just tried this - agree, pretty amazing.   It's screaming out for an Emby Plugin to search for media that doesn't have subtitles although Subtitle Edit also has a batch mode.

Great find @RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada

I had to use it for some obscure anime I have that doesn't have any translations at all, and my friends who do translations are far too busy with real life to help.  It wasn't great for creating English subs from Japanese, but it was fantastic for creating English from English.  I am hoping as time progresses the translation ability gets better.

• Like 1

crusher11

Yeah I have a couple French Blu-rays where the features have subtitles available online but the extras don't, obviously. It'd be great if I could get those subtitled; it's mostly just talking heads so it shouldn't be too challenging.

dvesely
On 3/22/2024 at 1:42 AM, pwhodges said:

Try adding .en before .srt in each file name (like "<name>.en.srt"), so that Emby can see that they are English subtitles.  And what subtitle mode do you have in your app settings, anyway?

Paul

Adding .en did not help. Where do I check the subtitle mode? What should it be set for?

pwhodges

In the app settings there's a subtitles section.

Play with the options if default isn't right for you.

Paul

FatherSaint
On 3/23/2024 at 3:14 PM, dvesely said:

Adding .en did not help. Where do I check the subtitle mode? What should it be set for?

As someone with bad hearing, I use subtitles all the time. Emby absolutely can & will use the external .SRT files, which is all that I have except for ripped BluRay discs that have .PGS.

May I suggest that you:

- Test the files on your computer with something like VLC to verify that the subtitles are playable

- Download and install the current version of Subtitle Edit and load one of the generated subtitles into it. You might not have to do anything but be sure that SRT is in the format field at the top menu of Subtitle Edit and just save the file. If that doesn't do the trick, the Tools menu has some things to fix common errors, list errors, etc.

Best of luck with it!

visproduction
On 3/23/2024 at 12:14 PM, dvesely said:

DV,

Adding .en makes the subtitle recognized as English.  Adding .default will turn it on automatically when you play the media.  Add the file in the same folder as the media: 
Tatort S12E04 - 720P.mp4

Tatort S12E04 - 720P.en.default.srt
English subs will automatically appear when this episode is played.

if you only make the file name: 
Tatort S12E04 - 720P.en.srt
Then the subtitles will appear, only when the subtitle option is selected and the English subtitles is clicked.  The subtitles will not play automatically unless there is a .default added to the file name.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

dvesely
16 hours ago, FatherSaint said:

As someone with bad hearing, I use subtitles all the time. Emby absolutely can & will use the external .SRT files, which is all that I have except for ripped BluRay discs that have .PGS.

May I suggest that you:

- Test the files on your computer with something like VLC to verify that the subtitles are playable

- Download and install the current version of Subtitle Edit and load one of the generated subtitles into it. You might not have to do anything but be sure that SRT is in the format field at the top menu of Subtitle Edit and just save the file. If that doesn't do the trick, the Tools menu has some things to fix common errors, list errors, etc.

Best of luck with it!

I created these subtitles with Subtitle Edit just a few days ago. I tested them in that app when I made them!

They work fine in the app!

dvesely
13 hours ago, visproduction said:

DV,

Adding .en makes the subtitle recognized as English.  Adding .default will turn it on automatically when you play the media.  Add the file in the same folder as the media: 
Tatort S12E04 - 720P.mp4

Tatort S12E04 - 720P.en.default.srt
English subs will automatically appear when this episode is played.

if you only make the file name: 
Tatort S12E04 - 720P.en.srt
Then the subtitles will appear, only when the subtitle option is selected and the English subtitles is clicked.  The subtitles will not play automatically unless there is a .default added to the file name.

Hope that helps.

Here is a screenshot of the folder for Season 1.

I think Emby found the 1st subtitle under episode 1, the rest were made by Subtitle Edit and work fine in that application.

But for some reason, Emby only sees the 1st one. Which I would think means my subtitle settings are correct..

But why doesn't emby see them?

emby2.png

dvesely
On 3/21/2024 at 4:33 PM, dvesely said:

The Whisper Subtitle generator is the best invention since sliced bread! Thank you for this suggestion.

I did an entire season of episodes at once using the Whisper engine and I can see it saved all the subtitle files in the folder with the episodes. They have the identical names , just the extension is different (.srt). 

However EMBY does not see them!

I tried scanning library files and even rebooting the PC. but no luck. How do I fix this? 
Log attached. Both before and after above reboot.

Thanks for your help

Dan

embyserver.txt 95.13 kB · 1 download embyserver-1.txt 184.14 kB · 1 download

I still need help with this. Would love to hear from an ADMIN! I have tried 18 fixes and none seem to work.

Did you run a scan after adding the new subtitles?

dvesely
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you run a scan after adding the new subtitles?

Yes several times and refreshed metadata and rebooted the PC!

I did notice my backup has been failing on most of the last few days. Is there something bigger wrong with my Emby?

Note I run Emby as a service!

Thank you kindly for your assistance luke!

Error: 
The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\gjves\documents\embyserver-backup-full\data\library.db' because it is being used by another process. at System.IO.FileSystem.CopyFile(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath, Boolean overwrite) at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite) at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.CopyFile(String source, String target, Boolean overwrite) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.BackupDatabases(String destinationFolder) at MBBackup.ServerEntryPoint.ExecuteBackup(PluginConfiguration configuration, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress) at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

rbjtech

So only the 1st one has a non .en.srt file - does this show 2 subtitles listed or only one ?    I note they are different file sizes.

As these are self generated .srt files - maybe worth posting one on here - it should be a plain text file in the format 

#
time start --> time finish
subtitle

As above - your log only shows detection of s01e01 - so it is picking up the non .en subtitle most likely.      You can test by adding text to a subtitle.

What do you have set in your TV Library for subtitles ?

image.png.9c472e6010413df42d2025451d5c1161.png

dvesely

The subtitle file for E01 was downloaded by Emby. It works and appears in Emby.

All the others were created by Subtitle Edit and they do NOT appear in Emby.

The subtitles play with the video perfectly outside of Emby.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, dvesely said:

The subtitle file for E01 was downloaded by Emby. It works and appears in Emby.

All the others were created by Subtitle Edit and they do NOT appear in Emby.

The subtitles play with the video perfectly outside of Emby.

As above - what do you have for subtitles set in your library ?

I get all my subs outside of emby as external srt files and they work perfectly - so its got to be a setting somewhere... 

dvesely

Here are my settings:

Subtitle Downloads

Download Languages

English

Subtitle Downloaders

Addic7ed

Open Subtitles
Open Subtitles requires additional setup on the Open Subtitles settings screen in Emby Server.
Enable and rank your preferred subtitle downloaders in order of priority. More subtitle providers can be installed using the Emby plugin catalog.
Require a hash match
Requiring a hash match will filter subtitles to include only those that have been tested with your exact video file. Unchecking this will increase the number of matched subtitles, but will also increase the chances of mistimed or incorrect subtitle text.
Forced subtitles only
Requiring forced subtitles will limit results to subtitles that are tagged as having a foreign language.
Stop trying to automatically download subtitles for videos older than
No age limit14 days30 days60 days90 days120 days180 days
This is based on the date added metadata value.
Skip if the default audio track matches the download language
Uncheck this to ensure all videos have subtitles, regardless of audio language.
Skip if the video already contains embedded subtitles
Keeping text versions of subtitles will result in more efficient delivery and decrease the likelihood of video transcoding.
Save downloaded subtitles into media folders
Storing subtitles next to video files will allow them to be more easily managed.