Problem with Alexa Certificate

djerniehoule

djerniehoule

i added the web address from dynamic dns including https and password, so in that field it reads https://blank.ddnsfree.com, but still in the emby app on alexa it does not give me a server to control it used to??

djerniehoule

Before these changes I was able to see my computer in the options, but now it’s blank and nothing in the pull down

IMG_6985.png

Q-Droid

It's not going to work until you get your remote access to your Emby server working properly with HTTPS. Don't even bother with Alexa until Emby is working.

djerniehoule

Ok, but I can connect without internet access on my phone. The other day with the Alexa app setting my computer was showing now it’s not..

djerniehoule

Come on guys, let's get this figured out so everyone can easily do it...

djerniehoule

When I create a Port Forwarding rule what should i put for:

Original Port:

Fwd to Addres: 

Fwd to Port:

18 minutes ago, djerniehoule said:

Original Port:

Fwd to Addres: 

Fwd to Port:

Remote Setup

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Q-Droid
55 minutes ago, djerniehoule said:

Ok, but I can connect without internet access on my phone. The other day with the Alexa app setting my computer was showing now it’s not..

But it's not HTTPS (TLS) which Alexa requires. Make sure that you pay attention to this detail. It needs to be HTTPS, not HTTP.

13 minutes ago, djerniehoule said:

Original Port:

Fwd to Addres: 

Fwd to Port:

You want to forward WAN (public) port 443 to Emby server LAN IP (local) port 8920.

You need to make sure the pfx file is working for Emby SSL/TLS. That is not working right now.

You need to enter the external domain name in Emby Network settings.

You need to make the public https port 443 in Emby Network settings. Leave the local ports as is.

You need to make Secure Connection mode required for all remote connections.

Alexa will not work until all of the above are set and working.

djerniehoule

I have done all this, see note...

You want to forward WAN (public) port 443 to Emby server LAN IP (local) port 8920. (done)

You need to make sure the pfx file is working for Emby SSL/TLS. That is not working right now. (how do I test?, CCM says test was a success)

You need to enter the external domain name in Emby Network settings. (I have done this with just the domain no http or https so it looks like BLANK.DDNSFREE.COM)

You need to make the public https port 443 in Emby Network settings. Leave the local ports as is. (done)

You need to make Secure Connection mode required for all remote connections. (done)

Alexa will not work until all of the above are set and working.

Still does not work....

Q-Droid

The test is to connect to your server using HTTPS from a browser or app.

If you can't it's likely because of this:

Emby can't open the certificate file because it doesn't like the password.

3 hours ago, djerniehoule said:

2024-04-07 10:13:00.681 Error App: Error loading cert from C:\ssl\emby.pfx
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.8.3.0
    Command line: C:\Users\erhou\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.22631
    Framework: .NET 6.0.27
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: C:/Users/erhou/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 12
    Data path: C:\Users\erhou\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application path: C:\Users\erhou\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: Internal.Cryptography.CryptoThrowHelper+WindowsCryptographicException: The specified network password is not correct.

Expand  

djerniehoule

hmm the password is what I setup when I created the certificate..

Q-Droid

Is this the password you entered in Emby?

image.png.c3c3f97f78a2d6ae48db6b77252d9fc6.png

djerniehoule

Is there a way that I can give remote access, so my settings can be verified?

Q-Droid

The password needs to be identical or it will never work. If you can't get it working with this password you can change it and get a new certificate issued. Be careful with this because there's usually a limit on number of certs for a given time period.

About remote access (for support?), maybe someone on the Emby team can help there.

djerniehoule

I have followed every step, and been at this all day without any success, what am I doing wrong????? I wish someone would explain with simple instructions.... plex is just go from the start, no issues, why all these headaches???

embyserver (3).txt

Q-Droid

I think you're close but you have to get the certificate file sorted out. This might be the last piece so stop messing with everything else. In this last log it looks like you've removed the secure config altogether.

The cert pfx file can be checked from the Windows PowerShell and the password can be verified this way.

certutil -dump <path to cert>  (certutil -p C:\ssl\emby.pfx)

Without this working you won't make any progress to get Alexa connected.

djerniehoule

I really don't know how to do that? I have the pfx file located at c:\ssl\emby.pfx - and the CCM test say's everything is ok.... I still don't know what I am doing wrong? The password is correct, so?

embyserver (4).txt

djerniehoule

I had removed everything last night and started over from scratch, with the same end result...

djerniehoule

I see the pfx file at C:\ssl\emby.pfx which is where I have it deployed from CCM, but also in CCM I see a "current certificate path (changes after every renewal):" C:\ProgramData\certify\assets\blank.ddnsfree.com\20240706_7eeb7010.pfx"

djerniehoule

in the password does it matter if it has special characters? for example "Password!", "Password", or "password" does it matter?

ginjaninja
42 minutes ago, djerniehoule said:

in the password does it matter if it has special characters? for example "Password!", "Password", or "password" does it matter?

The password that you give to the pfx file in the certify the web client, needs to be the password that you put in the Emby configuration, special characters and all, i am not aware whether special characters are problematic but as a test you could use a simple password like "password". Its not worth having a super complex pfx password (at least until you have everything working).

image.png.6a847cf07fc1b97bc8f72cd4f5be3744.png

image.png.04124587eef069dec227a5b34be90a08.pngimage.png.5bff63162db57f68b77db972253657cd.png

Note you can double click the pfx file and import the cert into eg your local machine store this might be a useful troubleshooting step to confirm you have a valid certificate and the pfx password is known (and not mistaken)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/wcf/feature-details/how-to-view-certificates-with-the-mmc-snap-in

from that log file it looks like you have the client correctly requesting and exporting a certificate so that looks good so far...

image.png.83365828bb0378140049cc0fe6b0f4bf.pngimage.png.9d4723c6e4a2f5df22660b3646a3ff94.pngimage.png.4bbbf90e317f2a7d776ce449c56bc765.png

image.thumb.png.0d5560f65fbbe96400e683a316b0c818.png

image.thumb.png.7755a7cfe034fc48c32b8e85e51ff0fd.png

image.png.56c80abfb820f7416403b1a47b2f455f.png

Edited by ginjaninja