how to upgrade in docker

studio-jurdan

studio-jurdan

Hi, 
I have the emby server Version 4.7.10.0 on
my rasbery pi 4 with docker.
My docker compose in portnair io begin like this...

---
version: "2.1"
services:
  emby:
    image: linuxserver/emby:latest
    container_name: emby
    environment:

But every time i launch the web browser client i have an alert to upgrade for the Emby Server 4.8.3.0
And both emby theater windows  or the microsoft store don't start because of this. SO
how can i chane my compose file on docker to realy have the LATEST VERSION
on all my docker the "latsest"  option worksd  but here this don't works     "
image: linuxserver/emby:latest"
What To DO ???

Edited by studio-jurdan

Hotomatua

Hi,
Unfortunately, there's no way to automatically update Docker images in a running container using Docker commands. The container keeps using whatever version it was created with, even after new versions of the image are released. Instead, you have to stop the container whose image was updated, delete it, and recreate it using the latest Docker image version

studio-jurdan

OK but the image i have is the last wwhebn it is taken so i supose that i must find any image in other place but where?
There is no one here that have emby runing in a rasbery pi? lol

studio-jurdan

i had try this..

version: "2.3"
services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver
    container_name: embyserver
    network_mode: host

But iot seem to rune but noway  i have this in the LOG

exec /init: exec format error

studio-jurdan

i had test this to  but..
services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver_arm32v7
    network_mode: host

The log said:  running and...

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.

[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.

[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...

[fix-attrs.d] done.

[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...

[cont-init.d] done.

[services.d] starting services

[services.d] done.

But no emby in my web browser

HI, is arm32v7 the right architecture for you?

studio-jurdan

and i finally test this (LIKE explanned in YOUT  linked documentation and  nothing better.  always not working  and finally

services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver_arm64v8
    environment:
      - PUID=998
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=Europe/Brussels
    network_mode: 'host'

So if one day someone here have emby working on a rasbery pi...

studio-jurdan
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, is arm32v7 the right architecture for you?

i don't realy know and i hat test V7  AND V8
in both cases the docker said taht the image are running  but in my client webbrowser i have nothing

Q-Droid

Did you try pulling the latest image using the name in your original compose file? 

To upgrade you simply pull the latest image, stop the running container and run compose with the same file to create a new container using the latest image. 

Then you can prune and clean up after. 

studio-jurdan
36 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Did you try pulling the latest image using the name in your original compose file? 

To upgrade you simply pull the latest image, stop the running container and run compose with the same file to create a new container using the latest image. 

Then you can prune and clean up after. 

Yes the first adress where the ebmy worked was tagged for last image BUT  theyr last image is an old one  NOW
And if i change the "depo"  to use the one in explanation here,  the emby  seem to start but  no output on my wweb client. 

Q-Droid
13 minutes ago, studio-jurdan said:

Yes the first adress where the ebmy worked was tagged for last image BUT  theyr last image is an old one  NOW
And if i change the "depo"  to use the one in explanation here,  the emby  seem to start but  no output on my wweb client. 

Your last image is an old one. LSIO has 4.8.3 for arm64 and 4.9.0.11 beta for the same. If you pull the latest image you should get 4.8.3 from LSIO. Pulling an image and creating a container are separate steps. 

studio-jurdan
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Your last image is an old one. LSIO has 4.8.3 for arm64 and 4.9.0.11 beta for the same. If you pull the latest image you should get 4.8.3 from LSIO. Pulling an image and creating a container are separate steps. 

With compose, you can pull the image AND make the container in one unique litle file (compose) and thi is very well like this.
Non one the other app/image i'd make today asked me if my rasbery pi is a ARM7  or 8 version they finbds this without asking me....so
i'll try tomorow, because i'd installed 8 images of other thinks today but this one make me going sleep lol   Thanks for the help.

Edited by studio-jurdan

Q-Droid
2 hours ago, studio-jurdan said:

With compose, you can pull the image AND make the container in one unique litle file (compose) and thi is very well like this.
Non one the other app/image i'd make today asked me if my rasbery pi is a ARM7  or 8 version they finbds this without asking me....so
i'll try tomorow, because i'd installed 8 images of other thinks today but this one make me going sleep lol   Thanks for the help.

Compose doesn't pull a new image if one exists with a matching tag. It will pull during compose if you don't have any images or the tags don't match.

You could also look into Watchtower if you want to automate image updates.

Edited by Q-Droid

darkassassin07

To update a docker container:

Instead of 'docker compose up -d' run 'docker compose pull', then run 'docker compose up -d' again.

'Pull', pulls the latest image. 'up' just starts the latest image that's on the system, and only pulls a fresh one if there are no local image to start.

You can also add: 'pull_policy: always' to your compose file to have it always pull the latest image before starting the container.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Disagree 1

studio-jurdan
Posted (edited)

OK finally, the good version for all the rasbery pi 4 existing in our tgalaxy  is/was... in docker compose..

version: "2.1"
services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver_arm32v7
    container_name: emby

But i"d do that because the desctop player forced me to upgrade version that worked wekk on web browser
And now i only find an app that must be paid a lot every month so finnally i'l must find another server for my usage because there is no free descktop player and the price is just crazy. for the price we can have a netflix, dinsey+ or some amazon streaming subscription without the need to install server OOPS. 5$/years ok but more is really to much if you don't use 23H/day with 10 people to watch your server files.  in my case i use it as player  2H/month maximum so. 

Edited by studio-jurdan

studio-jurdan
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Compose doesn't pull a new image if one exists with a matching tag. If will pull during compose if you don't have any images or the tags don't match.

You could also look into Watchtower if you want to automate image updates.

you can erase the image after a bad test or better, there is a buton when you modify the compose to FORCE to re pull the image.. 

Clip-audio_3.jpg

I's so magical when we search and find the good option that we need 😉

Edited by studio-jurdan

studio-jurdan
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

To update a docker container:

Instead of 'docker compose up -d' run 'docker compose pull', then run 'docker compose up -d' again.

'Pull', pulls the latest image. 'up' just starts the latest image that's on the system, and only pulls a fresh one if there are no local image to start.

You can also add: 'pull_policy: always' to your compose file to have it always pull the latest image before starting the container.

I don't use all these lot off 1 by one option
I copy/paste a compose and that's all
and it works, for all my 8 app IF the "compose"  file is well prepared like all the one i had find.
thanks to the people that take time to prepare a comose file 100% redy to use. i'm sure that don't take time for them to make it but make a realy big time gain for the people that use it  once a year and don't need to re, re , re  TRY TO read a 500 sheet book in another languzge than mine etc...  JUST to make a compose file One time for one or 10 yeras lol. There are people searching to install an app in 1 hour and use it one year
and other people that like to install and test, and re in,stall an app 200X/day  just to th fun off taht and after perhap never use it.
Im' saerching for the  first option. Thers is 20 years i'd stopped the assembler, css, java, pyton and C++  and i'm not here to back to that again. i'm too old fot that. Thanks again 

Edited by studio-jurdan

studio-jurdan
Posted (edited)

SOLVED and finnaly removed and replaced by a Jellydin installed in 10 minute with the trascode gpu options aviables in. and a free desktop app. sorry

Edited by studio-jurdan
  • Facepalm 1

darkassassin07

Im' saerching for the  first option.

And you were given the first option. You were the one that chose to use docker. Docker apps do not autoupdate. Emby doesn't, Jellyfin doesn't; Vaultwarden, Radarr, Sonarr, Filebrowser, OpenVPN; all of them do not autoupdate. Thats a function of running apps in docker. Updates are manual, unless you install additional software to monitor docker for updates.

So, Congratulations. You'll have exactly the same problem when jellyfin updates and you still have 0 idea how to update a container. (as well as every single one of the other docker apps you're running.)

Saving a compose file doesn't magically start itself; you have to run a command to start it. (which you know as you've done it) All you had to do was modify one word in that command. You didn't even have to research or look for additional info: it was provided for you by people that are happy to help with any further troubles.

Alternately; I gave you a way to modify a compose file so it updates itself when started instead of additional manual steps. 

Good luck, you'll need it with that 'I refuse to learn anything' attitude.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Disagree 1