MOV home videos playing upside down

Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert

Hi Emby. 
I have a weird issue I hope you can help me with. 
My recent .mov videos from my iPhone are playing upside down when I play them via my Samsung Smart TV app directly on my Samsung Art Frame TV
I played the video directly on the server (on windows) to check it and it plays correctly with no issue. 
In then tried playing it on my IOS app and it too played correctly.
it’s ONLY when I play the video on the Samsung TV app (embedded) does it play upside down. 

I’ve attached three photos to show what I mean. 

(1) the upside down one is the Samsung TV app

(2) the two correct photos are the server direct play on the windows OS and a screenshot of my iPhone app playing it in the correct orientation. 

I’m hoping this is a simple “switch” on the TV app to fix please.  

Thanks Rob. 

IMG_6781.jpeg

IMG_6780.jpeg

IMG_6779.png

PeteBete

How to flip any Samsung TV image that is upside down? Try?

If a combination doesn't work for your TV model, try one of the following:

1- ✅ Keep the TV on, then press: Mute + 1 + 1 + 9 + Enter
2- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Info + Settings + Mute + Turn on
3- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Mute + 1 + 1 + 9 + Power on
4- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Turn On
5- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Standby + P.STD + Mute + Turn On
6- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: P.STD + Menu + Standby + Turn on
7- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Display/Info + P.STD + Mute + Turn On
8- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Display/Info + Menu + Mute + Turn On

Robnaeyaert
4 hours ago, PeteBete said:

How to flip any Samsung TV image that is upside down? Try?

If a combination doesn't work for your TV model, try one of the following:

1- ✅ Keep the TV on, then press: Mute + 1 + 1 + 9 + Enter
2- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Info + Settings + Mute + Turn on
3- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Mute + 1 + 1 + 9 + Power on
4- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Mute + 1 + 8 + 2 + Turn On
5- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Standby + P.STD + Mute + Turn On
6- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: P.STD + Menu + Standby + Turn on
7- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Display/Info + P.STD + Mute + Turn On
8- ✅ Turn off the TV then press: Display/Info + Menu + Mute + Turn On

Sorry that makes zero sense to me. 
my other videos all play perfectly - it’s just these new .mov files that are flipped.  

Robnaeyaert
On 3/19/2024 at 6:13 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Here you go @LukeI hope this is the correct Log

I played 2 x .MOV files IMG_6697 and IMG_6703 at 7:00pm and both played upside down.

As mentioned this .MOV files play the correct orientation on my Windows Server (direct) via the VLC and other apps and also play the correct way on my IOS emby app.

They play upside down on the Samsung TV Emby App.

Hope this is simple - appreciate your help

embyserver (2).txt

SamES

Hi, can you please post the media info for this sample that plays upside-down

Robnaeyaert
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Hi, can you please post the media info for this sample that plays upside-down

How do I do that?

it’s just a .MOV file from my iPhone that I saved in my Emby server library. 

SamES

Can you copy this info from the bottom of the details screen for that item on the server?

image.png.69862b961ccead7cd3d6aea42c6fb54c.png

Robnaeyaert
20 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you copy this info from the bottom of the details screen for that item on the server?

here you go. 

im keen for anyone who can help me. I thought it have this sorted by now but appreciate any help. 

IMG_6791.jpeg

Happy2Play

Devs will have to comment more but there appears to be no rotation data.

• Like 1

PeteBete

Via Apple Community (copy and paste):
(see link at bottom)

QuickTime .mov plays upside-down in Windows Media Player

Best reply
User profile for user: Jon Walker 
User level: Level 6

19,467 points

Jul 9, 2014 3:40 PM in response to Craig DM

I know the cause of this: If you record using an iPhone with the volume buttons pointed at the ceiling, the resulting video plays upside-down in Windows Media Player. QuickTime is smart enough to correct and rotate automatically. Not so WMP. I have several clips that were recorded with the volume buttons pointed up. If I use QuickTime Player to rotate the clips, then they are correct when viewed in WMP, but upside-down in QuickTime Player!

Your assumptions are only partially correct. When you record the clip on your iPhone, the clip is recorded just as you see it in the WMP—i.e., upside down. What the iPhone does is records an addition file value that tells Apple media players which edge to display as the "top" during playback. Since third-party media players ignore this value, they display the clip in its original orientation which, in your case is upside down. When you flip the video orientation using QT 7 Pro, you're telling QT media players to play the file with an "upside down" orientation. By exporting the "flipped" orientation, you are, in fact, re-encoding the original "upside down" to a "right-side up" display but simultaneously telling all Apple media players to play the file upside down.

Is there any way to fix these clips so they are right-side up in both worlds? Or is there no choice but to re-record everything with iPhone's volume buttons pointed at the floor?

Actually, you can do either. That is, you can either "fix" the original recordings or re-record the the clips in a manner that avoids this problem. To "fix" your original files, simple open the files in an Apple media player (like QT 7 Pro) and export the files. The player will note the current "top" orientation and re-encode the content using the current display orientation for both QT and third-party players.

QuickTime .mov plays upside-down in Windows Media Player

• Like 1

SamES
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Devs will have to comment more but there appears to be no rotation data.

Yes, that was going to be my comment.  What server version are you using?

SamES
Just now, SamES said:

Yes, that was going to be my comment.  What server version are you using?

Don't worry, just saw it in the logs - 4.8.0.3.

Can you please try and manually refresh the metadata for that file and see whether that adds rotation data to the media info?  Do you have a sample video that you can send to me via a PM (ie: a dropbox or onedrive link)

SamES
On 20/03/2024 at 20:35, SamES said:

@Luke, I just refreshed the metadata for the same file as in my earlier post, and now it is missing rotation data.  I'm on recent beta, and @Robnaeyaertis on stable, so for some reason the rotation info detection is now missing.

image.png.72072280040208a51b5f801304cde752.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SamES said:

@Luke, I just refreshed the metadata for the same file as in my earlier post, and now it is missing rotation data.  I'm on recent beta, and @Robnaeyaertis on stable, so for some reason the rotation info detection is now missing.

image.png.72072280040208a51b5f801304cde752.png

Yes I see the issue. It will be resolved in the Emby Server 4.8.4 maintenance release. You'll need to refresh metadata on impacted files. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robnaeyaert
On 3/22/2024 at 8:04 AM, Luke said:

Yes I see the issue. It will be resolved in the Emby Server 4.8.4 maintenance release. You'll need to refresh metadata on impacted files. Thanks.

so this is nothing I’m doing incorrectly?  It’s a bug?

please confirm so I can re-glue my hair I pulled out 🤪

Happy2Play

Not sure as I believe devs comment was toward media info.  But all we can do is guess.

So the question becomes does fixing media info fix the issue?

• Like 1

SamES
30 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

so this is nothing I’m doing incorrectly?  It’s a bug?

please confirm so I can re-glue my hair I pulled out 🤪

Yes, I would say wait for now until the next server update, then refresh the metadata on affected files (or you can do this on the whole library) then check if the file now shows rotation info for the video stream like my first picture.  Then try playback again and please report back how you go - either success or failure, then we can investigate further.

The media player in some clients can automatically extract the rotation info automatically and handle the rotation during playback.  On Samsung, that is not the case, so we use the server info to determine the rotation and do it manually.  However, it's possible that on newer models this may no longer be required and it may handle it automatically if we enable the right feature -on older models this never worked correctly.  If you could please send me a sample that I can test, I'd like to see if we can fix this directly in the Samsung client on newer models.

Edited by SamES

Robnaeyaert
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SamES said:

Yes, I would say wait for now until the next server update, then refresh the metadata on affected files (or you can do this on the whole library) then check if the file now shows rotation info for the video stream like my first picture.  Then try playback again and please report back how you go - either success or failure, then we can investigate further.

The media player in some clients can automatically extract the rotation info automatically and handle the rotation during playback.  On Samsung, that is not the case, so we use the server info to determine the rotation and do it manually.  However, it's possible that on newer models this may no longer be required and it may handle it automatically if we enable the right feature -on older models this never worked correctly.  If you could please send me a sample that I can test, I'd like to see if we can fix this directly in the Samsung client on newer models.

but as mentioned, my EMBY app on my IOS device plays it perfectly. 

it’s JUST the Samsung Taizen app on my Art Frame that plays it the wrong way. 

so therefore how can it be a server issue?

Edited by Robnaeyaert

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

it’s JUST the Samsung Taizen app on my Art Frame that plays it the wrong way. 

so therefore how can it be a server issue?

Poor player in the device.

6 hours ago, SamES said:

On Samsung, that is not the case, so we use the server info to determine the rotation and do it manually.

SamES

Yes and no. It's not so much a poor player, but in older model Samsungs the rotation didn't work well so we handled it manually.  I believe it probably works fine in newer models, but I never spent time supporting two methods as the current approach worked fine in all cases.  However, now that this issue has arisen on the server side it has caused an issue.  If you can send me a sample, I can try to use the native method on newer models, which should include your model.  I don't have enough good test samples, so it would be good to confirm it with your files to confirm that it solves your issue.  Just make a test video of something random, test that it is upside down for you, then PM me a link to somewhere I can download it from.

Luke has mentioned that he will fix the server side in the next release, but I don't know how quickly that will be.  We can get a client side fix out quicker using the USB beta version.  A client side fix for the app store version. will take a bit longer due to the submission process.  I don't know when this issue arose on the server side so I couldn't tell what is a good version, but rolling back is probably not the best approach (and probably not advisable)

Robnaeyaert
19 hours ago, SamES said:

Yes and no. It's not so much a poor player, but in older model Samsungs the rotation didn't work well so we handled it manually.  I believe it probably works fine in newer models, but I never spent time supporting two methods as the current approach worked fine in all cases.  However, now that this issue has arisen on the server side it has caused an issue.  If you can send me a sample, I can try to use the native method on newer models, which should include your model.  I don't have enough good test samples, so it would be good to confirm it with your files to confirm that it solves your issue.  Just make a test video of something random, test that it is upside down for you, then PM me a link to somewhere I can download it from.

Luke has mentioned that he will fix the server side in the next release, but I don't know how quickly that will be.  We can get a client side fix out quicker using the USB beta version.  A client side fix for the app store version. will take a bit longer due to the submission process.  I don't know when this issue arose on the server side so I couldn't tell what is a good version, but rolling back is probably not the best approach (and probably not advisable)

My Samsung is the 2023 Art Frame. It’s relatively new. I did mention that earlier. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, once you've updated Emby Server to 4.8.4+, please try refreshing the metadata on this video and see if it helps. Thanks.