Local subtitles (srt) not showing in web player's subtitle list

_andz_
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

_andz_

I recently installed Emby Server (Version 4.8.3.0) via Docker and added some test files to my TV Show library. I also added some subtitles for different languages:

'Foundation (2021) - S01E01 - The Emperor’s Peace [WEBDL-1080p][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][h264]-ggez.de.srt'
'Foundation (2021) - S01E01 - The Emperor’s Peace [WEBDL-1080p][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][h264]-ggez.en.srt'
'Foundation (2021) - S01E01 - The Emperor’s Peace [WEBDL-1080p][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][h264]-ggez.es.srt'
'Foundation (2021) - S01E01 - The Emperor’s Peace [WEBDL-1080p][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][h264]-ggez.mkv'

When looking at that episode's media info, the subtitles are being displayed as available (see attachment 01.png). When looking for them in the web player, they aren't listed, though (see 02.png). I rescanned my library several times, to no avail.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

01.png

02.png

• Solution
Happy2Play

The issues is there are hardcoded list limits currently set to 30.  As we just had a discussion on the Quality selection having the same issue in certain conditions. @Luke

virtualChunkSize:30

• Agree 1

_andz_

I see, thanks for the quick reply. If the limit is really needed, it would be nice to be able to give external subtitles preference over embedded subtitles.

Happy2Play

I thought Emby already chose external subs over internal subs.

What is your language preference set to for Subtitles?

_andz_

My user's preferred subtitle languages are

English / German / Spanish / Spanish (Latin America) / Spanish (Mexico)

10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

The issues is there are hardcoded list limits currently set to 30.  As we just had a discussion on the Quality selection having the same issue in certain conditions. @Luke

virtualChunkSize:30

Yes good catch. I see the issue. Thanks.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Shouldn't external subs be chosen before internal?

Also what is order of precedent when multiple languages are selected?  Is it maintained by the order they appear/selected?

9 hours ago, _andz_ said:
English / German / Spanish / Spanish (Latin America) / Spanish (Mexico)

As this example appears to have selected the internal Spanish (Latin America)

_andz_
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

As this example appears to have selected the internal Spanish (Latin America)

I selected the selected subtitles shown in the second screenshot manually.

• Thanks 1

_andz_
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Will this be addressed?

Is the limit for listed subtitles needed? If so, could there be an option to filter out embedded subtitles that are not matching with the user's preferred subtitle languages?

Is not prioritizing external subtitles over embedded subtitles as shown in my case a bug? 

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, _andz_ said:

Will this be addressed?

Is the limit for listed subtitles needed? If so, could there be an option to filter out embedded subtitles that are not matching with the user's preferred subtitle languages?

Is not prioritizing external subtitles over embedded subtitles as shown in my case a bug? 

It will fix the Listview selector to show more.  But that really has nothing to do with the underlying issue of external vs internal priority, just gives you the means to switch.