Dolby Vision: Remapping of FEL and MEL to Profile 5

dms82

dms82

Since upgrading my TV from a nice but flawed 2020 Sony Bravia X950H to a 2023 Hisense U8KM I am having more difficulty playing REMUX files with Dolby Vision MEL / FEL encoding. 
Could we add a feature where MEL or FEL is converted by Emby to Profile 5 or one of the other more common / compatible Dolby Vision profiles?
To make any of these videos work I have to use the playback error feature and it transcodes with HLS playback of the embedded HDR10 HDR profile. 
HDR doesn't really pop on the newer TVs that support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision IQ. 

The Hisense U8KM runs Google TV (Android TV 12) and is otherwise an amazing TV. The Remux playback issues are the only downside of this TV upgrade.

Hi. Dolby vision is proprietary. We don’t have the ability to convert it. 

dms82
Posted (edited)

Dolby has a free tool available on their GitHub to convert Profile 7 (FEL) to profile 8.1 on the fly. Obviously the Dovi_Tool offered from Dolby which is licensed for free would need to be integrated into the server app. 

https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool#convert

Screenshot_20240316-214225.png

Edited by dms82

RanmaCanada
25 minutes ago, dms82 said:

Dolby has a free tool available on their GitHub to convert Profile 7 (FEL) to profile 8.1 on the fly. Obviously the Dovi_Tool offered from Dolby which is licensed for free would need to be integrated into the server app. 

https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool#convert

Screenshot_20240316-214225.png

You do realize the amount of time required to do this, right?  As you stated there are tools that are freely available for you the user to do this to your files.  It is not the responsbility of Emby to ensure your files are proper for your TV/equipment.  It's yours.  Use the tools yourself.  And FYI it is not Dolby who has done this.  This is a user who is using the tools Dolby has released and created scripts to do everything so people who have no idea what they are doing, can accomplish the task.  You do realize integrating this into the server would add anywhere from 5-20 minutes to file start time as it would have to demux the file, identify the flags, remove the flags and then remux the files before it can be played.

How about using some common sense?

dms82
Posted (edited)

1. the initial response to my "feature request" was "it's not possible". So I took 15 minutes to document that it is possible as is documented on GitHub.

2. I have hundreds of REMUXES. I have 100tb of storage and over 2130 movies.

3. My advice as a successful partner at a startup that has broken the $200m valuation myself is to not act like such entitled pussies. Because that's not how you grow your business when talking to customers if your goal is to become a valuable business.. I'm a Premiere subscriber and would be willing to pay more for additional features. I wouldn't let "RanmaCanada" respond to customer requests. I'd love to get a peak at his LinkedIn so I could make recommendations to other people I know in the software development space in Toronto. 

Edited by dms82

roaku
1 hour ago, dms82 said:

1. the initial response to my "feature request" was "it's not possible". So I took 15 minutes to document that it is possible as is documented on GitHub.

You weren't told it was impossible. You were told that the technology was proprietary.

You linking to someone who reverse engineered Dolby's tech doesn't remove the requirement for legitimate businesses to pay Dolby's fees or honor their license restrictions.

Edited by roaku
  • Agree 1

crusher11
6 hours ago, dms82 said:

My advice as a successful partner at a startup that has broken the $200m valuation myself is to not act like such entitled pussies. Because that's not how you grow your business when talking to customers if your goal is to become a valuable business.. I'm a Premiere subscriber and would be willing to pay more for additional features. I wouldn't let "RanmaCanada" respond to customer requests. I'd love to get a peak at his LinkedIn so I could make recommendations to other people I know in the software development space in Toronto. 

Wealthy people and a petty sense of entitlement, name a more iconic duo.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dms82 said:

the initial response to my "feature request" was "it's not possible".

Hi.  I did not say it was impossible.  I said DV is a proprietary format that we don't have the ability to (legally) manipulate at this time.

I didn't get into the fact that this operation would not be practical at the time of playback but I also do believe that is the case at this time.

roaku

dms82
22 hours ago, roaku said:

Roaku is legit a funny guy. Great burn. 

• 4 weeks later...
mrmorrison

Hi everyone.
The latest version of Kodi has a setting that, when enabled, allow you to play Dolby Vision profile 7 as if it were Dolby Vision profile 8.1.

Given that Emby correctly reads Dolby Vision 8.1, isn't it conceivable to intercept the type of profile and, if it is the unsupported type (7), behave as if it were a supported type? (8.1). Could the difference be ignored EL?

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

It takes 30 seconds to convert it yourself so my question is why not just convert it to 8.1 anyway and make it a more portable format to begin with ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

mrmorrison

As a paying customer, I ask if it's possible (I'm not ordering it to be done) and I have to hear the answer: do it yourself ??

I hope you're not part of the development/customer support team

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, mrmorrison said:

As a paying customer, I ask if it's possible (I'm not ordering it to be done) and I have to hear the answer: do it yourself ??

I hope you're not part of the development/customer support team

But you are happy to Rip the UHD yourself yes ?   So why not rip it to the correct format that doesn't need to be converted.    Am I missing something ?

No I don't work for emby - but am well aware of what the answer will be wrt anything 'dolby vision' - see answer #2 from above.

On 4/10/2024 at 11:53 AM, mrmorrison said:

Given that Emby correctly reads Dolby Vision 8.1, isn't it conceivable to intercept the type of profile and, if it is the unsupported type (7), behave as if it were a supported type? (8.1). Could the difference be ignored EL?

Hi, yes this is something that we can look into. Thanks.

• Thanks 1