data directory permission denied

tvmainia

tvmainia

Hi,

I searched google for "data folder embed Linux," and it turns out the data is stored here:
/var/lib/emby
I'm on Ubuntu 20.04.

I am trying to browse the directory in order to restore an XML backup of live TV. However, I cannot access that folder. Whether I use a Terminal or an ssh client like Cyberduck on Mac OS, I get "permission denied."

I even shutdown emby and tried again. Same result.

What do I need to change to be able to access the directory and also write inside of it?

Thank you!

Hi, what xml are you intending to restore?

tvmainia

As mentioned above, it’s the live TV settings from another server that I’m retiring

Lessaj

You'll have to switch to either the emby user or root from within your terminal, you shouldn't modify the permissions/ownership to allow your user to do it.

tvmainia

I did not create a user just for Emby. I don’t ever use the route user, in fact, I don’t even know what the default route password is in Ubuntu. 

sudo command didn’t work either. 

Can I just use the current Linux user I created when installing Ubuntu?

username tvmainia. 
So can I assign the right permissions to this user for the directory?

Lessaj

You don't need to know the root password, you should be able to run this as your own user.

sudo su -

Or to get to the emby user directly (which should have been created as part of the installation process):

sudo su -s /bin/bash emby

You have to specify -s /bin/bash because the emby user should be created with /usr/sbin/nologin as the shell so you can't sudo su - emby as there is no shell defined.

emby:x:996:993:Emby Server:/var/lib/emby:/usr/sbin/nologin

• Like 1

tvmainia

thank you, @Lessaj.
I'll try.

Is there a way to use a gui app like winscp?

Lessaj

It should be simple enough task to do with command line but if you want to use a GUI you could try to launch a file explorer using sudo, depending on what file explorers are available on your system. I use thunar, it has a banner notification if you're elevated, not all file explorers may have this. Winscp could actually work too but you'd have to log in to the root account to do that.

image.png.a727b92fa433611cd06e5c6c19876eb9.png

• Thanks 1