Parallel Library Scanning

jiggity

jiggity

Hi,

There needs to be a way to improve the scanning speeds

I already posted about how large music libraries are not playing well with Emby and getting a lot of errors, that is slowing down an entire library scan to unbearable slowness.
Splitting a large music library into multiple smaller ones doesn't improve the situation as Emby still does linear scanning.

I now have 15 smaller music libraries instead of 1 large one, however if i add a single item to library 3 Emby will scan all 15 library in order, as a procedure to find the singular updated item in one library. This is a waste of time, resources and it does not follow the metadata settings in the library settings. The logs are filled with entries of Emby attempting to update metadata, despite the libraries set to never update metadata after ingest, and because of all the errors thrown items do not scan in correctly the initial time. Things like images, year or other embedded metadata are ignored.

While Emby is throwing errors about music, it will not scan any other library, This never ending error situation can result in 20 hour plus scans of the media library. It is slowly becoming an untenable situation. 

What I would expect to be done, is for each library to be monitored individually, and when there are new items then the singular library would be scanned.
For instance it makes no sense to scan Movies when TV is updated; why are Music libraries treated differently?
Why is there no time out on operations that are non-stop throwing errors?
Why is there no parallel function so that different libraries can be monitored and scanned simultaneously?

I looked around and found an older post from Feb where @Happy2Playstated that "music libraries with different setting does not work properly as configs for one affect all.  So adjusting all libraries corrected my issue with no Discogs calls."

It seem that there is a legacy issue where all music libraries need to be configured the same?  That sort of highlights the issues I am pointing out here
Is that config limited to the metadata and refresh settings, or is it both the metadata, refresh and the folder structure settings?

Thanks

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at: