Assistance debugging live tv playback - same provider, diff client

jaybird2203

jaybird2203

Hi all, 

Been having a bit of an issue as of the stable 4.8.3 roll out. Using the official docker on unraid and live tv playback used to be stable for my use case but seems that since moving to the 4.8.3 release that the server is not releasing the streams when the client stops/changes channels. To recover it requires a server restart to reset the play counts and enable playback again. The clients are using Kodi 20.4 and the Emby for Kodi next gen 9.2.14 and about to try the latest releases. 

Been hitting this a few times as of late with no change to the setup other than updating the server to 4.8.3, using the previous stable release didn't see this issue with the same client configurations above. 

logs of the playback are attached but only from once the issue is encountered.

If there's a specific entry/steps to replicate/commands to run to see the streams that are not released please let me know and I'll try to recreate then provide logs for when that specific stream is stopped. 

2024-03-12 213716.022 Error Server .txt

jaybird2203

Hi all, 

Apologies for the rapid topic creation, been digging into 2 scenarios with live tv and was looking for some assistance. 

For this situation I'm a bit stumped so here's the background - I'm in the process of changing the setup used (moving from xteve to another) and on the new backend when using the web client I am able to playback the stream "without issue" so the playback starts and can view the content. While when attempting to playback using Kodi the playback immediately fails. Same stream playing back at the same time the web client is watching or different stream makes no difference - immediately fails on kodi client.

In the logs I see what appear to be start of transcode related messages since I would assume the webclient can't playback the stream which makes sense but for the kodi client playback to immediately fail doesn't. I've attached the log entries for both scenarios - web client playing back the stream first, the the kodi client playing back the same stream after the web client stopped playback. 

Web intial playback start.txt

jaybird2203

Would appear that when some streams fail/error out (like my other thread) that the stream remains counted and increments against total play count until the container is restarted. 

Will need specific details on what else to provide here, my other thread here, has an example of an immediate stream crash that does not appear to be caught so stream removed from playback counts. 

Hi there, please attach the complete emby server log file. thanks.

jaybird2203
Posted (edited)

Hi Luke,

Restarted server after adjusting from xteve to the new so these are just isolated to playback entries. Logs show playing back the channel with the web browser to show the backend functions, stopping the playback in the web browser, then a few moments later starting the same channel through Kodi and immediate failure. 

embyserver.txt

Not sure if this will be asked but I use the same epg setup for both the xteve backend and the new. Playing back the channels through Kodi on xteve has no issues like this where the stream immediately fails. 

Edited by jaybird2203

14 hours ago, jaybird2203 said:

Hi Luke,

Restarted server after adjusting from xteve to the new so these are just isolated to playback entries. Logs show playing back the channel with the web browser to show the backend functions, stopping the playback in the web browser, then a few moments later starting the same channel through Kodi and immediate failure. 

embyserver.txt 77.43 kB · 0 downloads

Not sure if this will be asked but I use the same epg setup for both the xteve backend and the new. Playing back the channels through Kodi on xteve has no issues like this where the stream immediately fails. 

Hi, thanks for this. I think I will need a debug server log. Can you temporarily enable debug server logging, then repeat the process and provide the debug log? Thanks.

jaybird2203
Posted (edited)

Hi Luke, 

As requested. 

embyserver.txt

Just to rule this out - confirmed that the same channel when played direct in Kodi with the same m3u file used in Emby also has no issue so its only this backend/emby/kodi pairing specifically. 

Edited by jaybird2203

jaybird2203

Hi @LukeJust realized that the 2 topics I created were combined into one.

These are two distinct scenarios with different setups - the 4.8.3 server not thinking streams are stopped when they are, or crashed, until the container is rebooted vs debugging the different backend that immediately fails on Kodi playback. 

The server not releasing the stream when the client stops/shuts off should not be an issue in my setup specifically - I have 2 clients only and 2 concurrent streams available from my provider hence setting 2 in the server. When this situation happens the primary client is the only one that is attempting to watch the streams but immediately fails with the max stream count being hit. 

Should they not be two different threads or are they both actually related? 

• 2 weeks later...
jaybird2203

Hi @Lukeany further information required? Looking to keep this moving, and at least pointed to the correct team, in the correct direction if possible. 

On 4/1/2024 at 1:06 PM, jaybird2203 said:

Hi @Lukeany further information required? Looking to keep this moving, and at least pointed to the correct team, in the correct direction if possible. 

So you're saying it plays successfully but just doesn't clean up afterwards? 

jaybird2203
Posted (edited)

I have two scenarios since the threads were combined so I'll outline each. 

Client playback immediate failure scenario - using my "test" backend it plays fine on Emby web/android app and transcodes as needed, immediately crashes on client start of the same channel. Playing the channel direct on client, not through Emby, and the client can playback without issue. I restart the server container once transitioned back to my "production" backend to resume standard operations. Debug logs were attached Mar 16.

Stream not cleaning up thus hitting max stream count scenario - using the xteve backend which works on my client and web, the playback over the day(s) appears to be fine (may have a crash or two but haven't checked the full logs). Eventually the error regarding max stream limit reached is encountered by the client yet no streams are active in the "now playing" section. Requires a server restart to restore/clean out. To workaround this I set the stream limit to 0. Logs attached on the first post. 

Edited by jaybird2203

• 2 weeks later...

OK can you temporarily enable debug logging, then recreate the issue and attach the debug server log? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...