Roku speed uploading FOLDERS?

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

I have done some testing for the alphabet searching have been having on Roku Ultra.

1). Going from #-Z; freezes the Roku under MOVIES tab..but if you go from #-M it takes about 20 seconds, but then you can go from M-Z; still another 15-20 seconds...PLEX, instantly done.

image.thumb.jpeg.d26d50f5de80b2550458994648a24368.jpeg

2.) Switching to FOLDER tab.. Its loads the folders in about 20 seconds, BUT the going from #-Z is instantaly...

image.thumb.jpeg.002e5b0f6d38af81dfb279734eec6fb5.jpeg

So the option on Roku Ultra.. MOVIE tab and loads quickly but the seacrhing using #-Z freezes.. OR FOLDER tab and it takes about 20 seconds to load the folders but the searching using the #-Z is instantly??

So..anyway to speed up the FOLDER tab to load faster ?

OR..fixing MOVIES tab and the searching using the alphabet not freezing and needing to go out and go back into Emby ??

Happy2Play

Technically these are two different presentations as Movies is a flattened view vs Folders honors ie structure/folder nesting.  So the request/query is different.

chrisrobbins1970

Any way to speedup or fix the freezing issue when searching using the alphabet in movies tab??

Gilgamesh_48

I do not find the alpha-picker search slow at all whenever and wherever if actually shows up and works. Of course it does not show up everywhere it should but where it does it is fine as long as there are no other computer problems.

Also we, you me and everybody else, should stop using Plex as an example for what we want or don't want. Plex and Emby do similar things but they do them in quite different ways and the code for the two are very different.
Plex might often make a good example of what is wanted or not wanted but performance comparisons are not really helpful to anyone, it just often allows us to be lazy explaining our examples. 
I have used Plex as an example many many times and I realized now that using Plex for that reason is not only a poor idea but it also will often give the developers poor/wrong directions toward fixing the problem.

Lastly, most of the time (over 90%), my experience has been that any problem involving connectivity or speed or glitches is directly relate to computer or network itself. The last time I had inexplicable problems I decided to remove everything from my server except those programs needed for Emby's server and, after a little stabilizing, I have had no issues, except for hardware failures, on that server computer. 
So I recommend that servers do nothing but server and, if needed, another computer be brought in to do the other jobs.

2 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

Any way to speedup or fix the freezing issue when searching using the alphabet in movies tab??

We are looking into this issue. It is on our tracker.

Reference: Issue #1573: [PosterGridView] Alphapicker jumping takes extraneous amount of time to complete and can also hang and lose focus

12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I do not find the alpha-picker search slow at all whenever and wherever if actually shows up and works.

You might be more patient than others and the time it takes for the alpha picker jump is relative to your experience. You might tolerate it better when it takes longer than it should without realize it is taking longer than it should. Some people tolerate longer waits better than others. We appreciate that not everyone finds the time it takes as irritating.

What is interesting is your comment it isn't always showing up. Are there places on the Roku where it isn't making an appearance? We would like to solve all the alpha picker issues at once. If you can give us clues which platform/app isn't doing this correctly and where/which section of the library view that happens in we could solve this most efficiently. It would make it into the app immediately as these are major issues.

Keep in mind the alpha picker only shows when you are using filename or title sort.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
43 minutes ago, speechles said:

You might be more patient than others and the time it takes for the alpha picker jump is relative to your experience. You might tolerate it better when it takes longer than it should without realize it is taking longer than it should. Some people tolerate longer waits better than others. We appreciate that not everyone finds the time it takes as irritating.

What is interesting is your comment it isn't always showing up. Are there places on the Roku where it isn't making an appearance? We would like to solve all the alpha picker issues at once. If you can give us clues which platform/app isn't doing this correctly and where/which section of the library view that happens in we could solve this most efficiently. It would make it into the app immediately as these are major issues.

Keep in mind the alpha picker only shows when you are using filename or title sort.

No. With rare exceptions in the past the alphapicker has always shown and worked well on my Rokus. However in all my browsers the alpha does not work for photos much at all and the developers seem unwilling/uninterested in getting it fixed. :( 

Most of the time my Rokus work better than any other client or any browser. :D 

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

Emby is on a Synology DS1520+, hardwired and Roku Ultra is hardwired. Other Rokus in the house are Roku Sticks+ and of course wireless

What is intersting is that the alpha picker is ONLY slow for MOVIES TAB, MOVIES > Folder tab its fast. . For TV its fast.

I have over 5000 movies and 500 TV Series, not sure if that makes a difference in that its trying to index all of them.

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

OK thanks for reporting. We'll take a look.

11 hours ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

What is intersting is that the alpha picker is ONLY slow for MOVIES TAB, MOVIES > Folder tab its fast

Hi.  Are you always testing the movies tab first and then testing the folders one right after it?

Just now, chrisrobbins1970 said:

NO..i just decided to try it

Hi.  What do you mean "I just decided to try it"?

chrisrobbins1970

I was using the alpha-picker under MOVIES tab..took for ever to get to "T".. so i tried going to the FOLDERS tab, seening what it would do and YES it loaded slowly, but I was able to use the alpha-picker and got to "T" instantly

Okay, what I'm asking is, are you always trying the movie one first and then going and trying the folder one.  If so, it could be a matter of caching that is causing the folder one to behave faster.

If you close the app and go directly to the folders tab and try your jump to "Z" is it still just as fast?

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

I tried that.. closed Emby on Roku. Re-opened went to MOVIES and went straight to FOLDERS; took 15seconds to open, but again in FOLDERS tab going from #-Z is instantly

Thought I would add this..MOVIE library settings...

image.png.91492ba3d102801907184c2c66fc9f90.png

image.png.a276a4af146c3071350c3943128a3ea1.png

image.png.bdcf3ae99343f6f3c15654e60d9127d9.png

Don't know if it helps at all.....

How many items total are in the Movies view?  Folders view?

chrisrobbins1970

MVOIES tab and FOLDERS tab shows the same 5827

In your movies tab, do you have "Group Items into Collections" selected?

Okay, can you please do the following for me?

Go into the settings in the app and go to Advanced and turn on "Debug Options".
Exit the app
Re-enter the app, go to your movies library, movies tab and select the "Z" and wait for it to finish
Navigate to your Folders tab (you can use the back button to return to the top of the grid) and then select the "Z" there and let it finish

Now go back to the home screen, select your user icon at the top and select "Send Logs..."

Then come back here and tell me what time you did that.

Thanks.

Thanks very much.  I found the reason for the difference.  The folders tab is loading the entire contents at once upon entry.  It should not be doing that so we'll have to correct that and see if we can speed up the jump.

BTW - it took exactly 10 seconds to jump to 'Z' in your movies tab.

chrisrobbins1970

THANK YOU for spending the time to look into this...AGAIN I am impressed with the speed of tech support here

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

I have an Roku ultra that when I use movies tab going from #-z it just spins, after 10 mins of not progressing give up.

In this situation how do I send a log if the task never completes??  This is not the Roku I sent the logs from. I have three rokus, all are basically having same issue with movies tab and folder tab

chrisrobbins1970

I sent a LOG this morning 839am EST.  I have a Roku Ultra that I did MOVIES tab # - Z and I let it go for nearly 30mins and it never progressed. It froze so I got out of emby and sent the log.  This is the one thing that is hesitating me to let my family and freinds who ALL use rokus go striaght Emby. If this can be figured out..BOOM all emby users.. please help

The only difference that I know of is the three Rokus ultras I have the ONE I use is newer 2022 model and the others are 2019 models. That is the only difference