Throttling Not Happening

Leinad86

Q-Droid
On 3/25/2024 at 2:55 AM, Leinad86 said:

Can someone give me some information here?

A we have no idea where the error is is better than no answer.

Thanks

Have you considered changing the throttling method to one that's more reliable? Throttling ByStreamBufferSize isn't dependent on the client or media as long as the playback position is known.  This is unless the devs tell us that they plan to remove ByStreamBufferSize as a method.

Q-Droid

I think the only way in 4.8.x and later is manually in the encoding.xml file. The buffer size is in seconds, the others you can leave as is. 

<EnableThrottling>true</EnableThrottling>
  <ThrottleBufferSize>120</ThrottleBufferSize>
  <ThrottleHysteresis>5</ThrottleHysteresis>
  <ThrottlingMethod>ByStreamBufferSize</ThrottlingMethod>

adminExitium

Unfortunately, it's only via the API now. The encoding.xml file is no longer honored.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Q-Droid
4 minutes ago, adminExitium said:

Unfortunately, it's only via the API now. The encoding.xml file is no longer honored.

Crap. I remember that now. We've been trying to get the devs to move the settings from the plugin to the core app but they were "lost in transit" and now we're stuck with having to use an API.

On my server they were set before the upgrade and I assumed the server was still pulling from the xml file.

Leinad86

I changed the transcoding mod to ByStreamBufferSize.

Unfortunately, initially without success. Here is the log, you professionals may see other problems.

Thanks in advance

09:41:39.290 Too many packets buffered for output stream 1:1.
09:41:39.319 [libmp3lame @ 0x1156180] 3 frames left in the queue on closing
09:41:39.571 Conversion failed!
09:41:39.571 EXIT

emby 4.8.3.0_ByStreamBufferSize.txt

Q-Droid

Is this consistent for all of your videos when transcoding? What settings did you use?

Leinad86

no, not for all of them, just for some! Everything works on 4.7. Which settings exactly do you mean? Thanks for the help!

Q-Droid

The settings for throttling, you set ByStreamBufferSize but what are the others?

Q-Droid

I think it's time for the devs to dig in. The error is pretty consistent with different media and throttling options. And if you say this worked in 4.7 but not in 4.8 then even if the media itself has some problems it appears to have handled them better in 4.7.

21:46:27.801 Stream mapping:
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:0 (hevc) -> scale_cuda:default (graph 0)
21:46:27.801   setsar:default (graph 0) -> Stream #0:0 (h264_nvenc)

21:46:27.801   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (eac3 (native) -> ac3 (native))
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:3 -> #1:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:0 -> #1:1 (copy)                                                     <-- I don't understand the multiple mappings here
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:4 -> #2:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:0 -> #2:1 (copy)                                                       <-- and  here
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:5 -> #3:0 (subrip (srt) -> webvtt (native))
21:46:27.801   Stream #0:0 -> #3:1 (copy)                                                        <-- and  here

21:46:45.905 Too many packets buffered for output stream 1:1.
21:46:46.071 Conversion failed!

21:46:46.071 EXIT

Happy2Play

@Q-Droidit is the downscaling.

21:46:27.801   Stream #0:0 -> #1:1 (copy)                                                     <-- I don't understand the multiple mappings here

>>>>>>  Video Processing Steps for [0:0]: H.265 (HEVC)
        Step                    HW-Context   Format       SW-Format           Size   Next
        HEVC                 >> CUDA         cuda         nv12           1920x1080 >> scale_cuda
        scale_cuda           >> CUDA         cuda         nv12            1280x720 >> setsar
        setsar               >> CUDA         cuda         nv12            1280x720 >>

But ffmpeg changed from 5.0 to 5.1 between versions so whatever changed has cause issues like this and may other per other post.  But specific conditions are needed to fail as it does not affect all media or servers.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

Leinad86

So there's nothing I can do about it at the moment? The developers need to patch it?

I'm thinking about setting up a 2 Emby installation. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. It would be nice if a developer could comment on this soon.

But I would like to thank you for your support

Q-Droid
9 minutes ago, Leinad86 said:

So there's nothing I can do about it at the moment? The developers need to patch it?

I'm thinking about setting up a 2 Emby installation. I just don't know if it's worth the effort. It would be nice if a developer could comment on this soon.

But I would like to thank you for your support

Have you tried converting some of the videos that fail to see what works and what doesn't?

Leinad86

No, I haven't, and to be honest I don't know how to do anything. The content is encoded in H265 using Tdarr. And as I said, I never had any problems with it until 4.8.

I'm just surprised that not many more people have problems with it.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Leinad86 said:

No, I haven't, and to be honest I don't know how to do anything. The content is encoded in H265 using Tdarr. And as I said, I never had any problems with it until 4.8.

I'm just surprised that not many more people have problems with it.

And does that not suggest there may be an issue with the method Tdarr is converting the media?  Is this only an issue with Tdarr converted media?

Leinad86

All of my media was or is encoded with Tdarr. I've been doing this for over 2 years now

Happy2Play

Yep as that correct the issue shown in your test file.  So that gives the devs a specific area to look Subtitles.

Disable HLS Subtitles

image.thumb.png.c4bdee752002e4af23404d4981eefa5b.png

Edited by Happy2Play

Is it only an issue with that one file?

Leinad86

No, unfortunately not.

Do you need more examples? It's always the same when the error occurs.

08:48:54.359 Too many packets buffered for output stream 1:1.
08:48:54.386 [libmp3lame @ 0x10ce380] 3 frames left in the queue on closing
08:48:54.534 Conversion failed!
08:48:54.534 EXIT

Testet episode Die Kaiserin/Staffel 1/die.kaiserin.s01e01.german.1080p.web.x264-wvf.mkv

As soon as I activate Disable HLS Subtitles the error no longer occurs

• 2 weeks later...

OK we'll take a look at it. Thanks.