Cloned nvme, swapped to new pc, nothing can connect

psycoticinsane

psycoticinsane

So i have been running my emby server on my gaming pc for the last few years, and i recently built a second pc to house the emby server 

I cloned the nvme that held windows and emby, and then put that nvme into the second pc. 

Everything boots up, all the storage is located and all the server files still present.

What do i need to do to be able to connect from anyother device that is not the device the server is hosted on?

Is it as simple as reinstalling emby?

I have 75+ TB of media and would rather not have to spend 2 weeks to repopulate the metadata and media info by starting from scratch. Any help is greatly appreciated

jaycedk

Can you connect from the new pc, using http://localhost:8096 

If its on a new pc, then it will also be a new NIC, and new IP.

Check your network settings and finde the new ip address, and connect through that.

psycoticinsane
1 hour ago, jaycedk said:

Can you connect from the new pc, using http://localhost:8096 

If its on a new pc, then it will also be a new NIC, and new IP.

Check your network settings and finde the new ip address, and connect through that.

Yes, opening emby in the browser i can connect from the new pc. But the ip , in home and remote access addresses are identical to the last pc.  I have static ip through my provider, i cannot change my ip.

pwhodges

Is the old server still running?  If so you need to change the ID of the copy to enable devices to see it.

Paul

psycoticinsane
3 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Is the old server still running?  If so you need to change the ID of the copy to enable devices to see it.

Paul

No, the old pc has not even been powered back on yet. And once on, i plan to completely remove all emby traces from it 

psycoticinsane
Posted (edited)

I also dont have device.txt or users.db, or at least i cannot locate them

Edit. I found them 

Edited by psycoticinsane

Lessaj

Provide the output of

ipconfig /all

and screenshots of the Network page.

pwhodges

On Windows the directory is typically something like: C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data - shorter is to type into the address bar of Windows explorer: %appdata%\Emby-server\programdata\data

Paul

psycoticinsane
11 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

Provide the output of

ipconfig /all

and screenshots of the Network page.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-KHRSIOF
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A8-A1-59-27-53-FF
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd96:2910:ae95:e53f:6eb:9843:adbf:de33(Preferred)
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd96:2910:ae95:e53f:5040:9bfc:e04c:d931(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::766b:222b:31e6:130e%4(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.42(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 7, 2024 11:37:16 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, March 8, 2024 11:37:15 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 78160217
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-26-FD-EE-E9-B0-6E-BF-CC-D8-72
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-D8-3E-0A-EE-9E

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 76-D8-3E-0A-EE-9D

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7C-51-CA-CB-1D-00

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : lan
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9462
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-D8-3E-0A-EE-9D

C:\Users\Psychoticinsane>

info 3.png

info 4.png

Lessaj

http://192.168.86.42:8096 should work internally then, you didn't specify anything in the network tab which might conflict with that. Looks like the IP is provided by a DHCP lease.

Edited by Lessaj

psycoticinsane
12 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

http://192.168.86.42:8096 should work internally then, you didn't specify anything in the network tab which might conflict with that. Looks like the IP is provided by a DHCP lease.

I was able to connect on the home network one time since the transplant. Emby was running was testing connection, and failed. I restart the new emby pc, and then was able to connect, moved emby pc to permanent location and no longer could connect. New pc was wired both instances. But through ethernet switches in different locations. The first time was wired to the first switch in the series, second time to the last switch in the series.

What i can infer from this is i should try connecting the ethernet to the switch closest to the router. I use google nest mesh router so it only has one port, hence the switches. Maybe that will help connection issues? 

Lessaj

Are they all part of the same subnet? Was the same IP offered after you moved it, since it's using DHCP? Is it statically assigned via MAC address within the DHCP server?

• Agree 1

Q-Droid

Did you have any kind of MAC filtering going on in your network? That would be different for the new PC.

Edited by Q-Droid

psycoticinsane
15 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

Are they all part of the same subnet? Was the same IP offered after you moved it, since it's using DHCP? Is it statically assigned via MAC address within the DHCP server?

I honestly am not sure how to find the information for these questions.

My setup is this

Docsis 3.1 nighthawk router -> google nest wifi router -> 8port ethernet switch -> 4 port ethernet switch.

The same ip was offered when switched/moved.

All on the same network.

The IP is static through the ISP. i cannot change unless i contact them to do so

6 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Did you have any kind of MAC filtering going on in your network? That would be different for the new PC.

I have never used/setup anything to do with MAC filtering

pwhodges

Another thing to check, as it's a new Windows install - is the networking set to public?  It should be private, which removes many restrictions.

Paul

• Agree 2

Lessaj

I assume you mean your external IP is static through your ISP, which is fine. Internal devices won't have a static IP unless you configure one per device, but it's likely to maintain the DHCP lease since it's valid for 24 hours. How do you know the same internal IP was provided via DHCP? Is DHCP handled by the nighthawk, or google nest? Are the other devices connected to the nighthawk, or the google nest? The switches don't seem like a variable here, all they do is pass traffic, so as long as everything is on the 192.168.86.0/24 network there shouldn't be any restrictions in place unless you've introduced something.

Happy2Play

Sounds like a firewall issue from a LAN standpoint.  What are your Emby firewall rules?  But yes the network private/public needs checked also as mentioned.

psycoticinsane
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

Another thing to check, as it's a new Windows install - is the networking set to public?  It should be private, which removes many restrictions.

Paul

Its not a new windows install, i literally cloned the entire drive using paragon hard disk manager 17, via the copy function Therefore everything is 100% identical. 

I did select discoverable on my network, so maybe i can check there first.

1 hour ago, Lessaj said:

I assume you mean your external IP is static through your ISP, which is fine. Internal devices won't have a static IP unless you configure one per device, but it's likely to maintain the DHCP lease since it's valid for 24 hours. How do you know the same internal IP was provided via DHCP? Is DHCP handled by the nighthawk, or google nest? Are the other devices connected to the nighthawk, or the google nest? The switches don't seem like a variable here, all they do is pass traffic, so as long as everything is on the 192.168.86.0/24 network there shouldn't be any restrictions in place unless you've introduced something.

Every device on my network runs through the nest wifi router whether it be wired or wireless and the nest then is wired to the nighthawk.

I based the same internal ip on what emby showed me, i will have to take a look in network properties and see what it tells me there

52 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sounds like a firewall issue from a LAN standpoint.  What are your Emby firewall rules?  But yes the network private/public needs checked also as mentioned.

Emby should have highest level in firewall, i have always allowed everything it needed.

Happy2Play

So you compared the network type to the firewall rule?

If other clients can connect then it is not a firewall rule but if no client on your LAN can connect it is most likely a firewall rule.

Remote connections will be a different story but need LAN to work before worrying about WAN.

psycoticinsane
Posted (edited)

a

Edited by psycoticinsane

psycoticinsane
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

So you compared the network type to the firewall rule?

If other clients can connect then it is not a firewall rule but if no client on your LAN can connect it is most likely a firewall rule.

Remote connections will be a different story but need LAN to work before worrying about WAN.

i checked firewall settings for emby.exe , i have 5 embyserver.exe and 1 Emby Server listed, 4 as embyserver.exe and 1 as Embyserver.exe and 1 as Emby Server after allowing all public and private, i can connect to emby via lan on wifi through my phone, and once i turn wifi on my phone off, i can no longer connect to the server.

Happy2Play

If you can access from phone on wifi then all LAN clients should work.

So for WAN does a site like canyouseeme.org show Emby ports open?

psycoticinsane
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If you can access from phone on wifi then all LAN clients should work.

So for WAN does a site like canyouseeme.org show Emby ports open?

for ports 8096 and 8920 it returned this:

Error: I could not see your service on xxxxxxxxxx on port (8096)
Reason: Connection timed out

Edited by psycoticinsane
remove wan

Happy2Play

Please remove your WAN from post or will flag a mod to do it.

But now suggests a portforwarding issue.

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, psycoticinsane said:

nighthawk router -> google nest wifi router

Is this a double nat or is nest bridged?