How is Emby on OMV these days?

Bingie

Bingie

Hi all,

Once again, I'm looking to get off of windoze for my NAS, which basically only runs Emby.

How is running Emby on OMV these days?  Anyone running it?  Any issues?

How is transcoding handled?  Can Emby transcode using the gpu built into the Intel cpu?  Can OMV pass thru a separate gpu card to Emby okay?

Thanks

Bingie

If I keep the build simple, let OMV manage the OS and drives, then install emby directly on debian as an app (not docker) so it has direct access to the gpu, don't need passthru.

I'm more of a bare metal person, don't want vm's or docker and certainly not proxmox.  My debian router builds are the same way, bare metal.

6 hours ago, Bingie said:

If I keep the build simple, let OMV manage the OS and drives, then install emby directly on debian as an app (not docker) so it has direct access to the gpu, don't need passthru.

Hi, can you do this? I thought all OMV Emby users were using a docker based package.

Can it install debian packages? If so then that would be great.

Q-Droid

Containers are preferable. OMV runs on top of standard Debian and if I'm not mistaken it does not tweak or restrict the OS the same way other open NAS distributions can. The Debian backend is fully functional and changes there are reflected on the OMV frontend. They do warn against using certain repos and not run Debian updates directly and to rely on OMV for that. There might be other limitations but I think that's the gist of it.

https://docs.openmediavault.org/en/stable/various/apt.html

Short answer: Yes, debian packages can be installed on OMV hosts.

Edited by Q-Droid

Bingie

I went back to windows.  OMV is interesting, but I am no fan of docker.  Docker was a solution looking for a problem, because devs were too lazy to continue porting their app to each linux distro.  Docker is what you get when you are a hammer, and every problem is a nail.

OMV changed the way they handle docker apps, and now everyone on the forums over there are complaining how none of their docker apps work anymore.  Self inflicted wound.  That's what people get for virtualizing and containerizing apps when it's not necessary, just adds another layer of crap to break on you.

Windows is still the cleanest implementation IMHO.  The built-in software raid is tried and true, used by millions.  Sure, you can do hardware raid too, but that adds another layer that can break on you.  Install apps like Emby directly on windows.  Again, no additional layer in the way.  All bare metal.  All clean.  Keep it simple.  Easier to install, troubleshoot and manage.  For me, anyway.

Bingie

OMV uses mdraid, that's software raid, I guess that's funny too.

Bingie
2 hours ago, Lessaj said:

Windows software raid, now that's funny.

Okay, turns out you're right... I did a reboot, and now windows is resynching the drives again, which will probably take a day.  Don't want my drives wearing out, so screw that, powered down and removed the mirrored drive.  Fortunately, main drive is healthy again.  I thought they had fixed the resynching problems, but apparently not :(

Oh well, I now have a full backup again, so I'm good for now.  All of my data easily fits on just one drive, so I'm trying to avoid a layer of 3rd party software drive pooling, and also avoid hard controller raid too.

I'll go back to just auto running backup at 3am again, that's good enough.

Lessaj

I knew it wasn't great but I didn't think it was that bad that it does that just on a reboot!

If you want to keep things bare metal maybe you can try something like CentOS? Can set up your raid with something like XFS on top of MD, can do even do raid with LVM, or you can get ZFS going. Lots of options. 🙂

Bingie

wow this forum won't let me edit my above posts wtf