playlists are deleted

floppy0081

15 hours ago, braigo64 said:

I went to an artist, selected add to playlist from the context menu, no playlists were listed in the menu to add to so I clicked on create playlist. I created a new playlist called Work Mix 2. A little toast notification said x number of songs were added to the playlist. Going to the playlist library did not show the newly created playlist. Going to the path on the server showed that there was no m3u file in the directory either.

OK what if you instead click directly on a song and add that to a playlist?

braigo64

Same thing happens. I choose to add it to a playlist, I have to create a playlist since it thinks none exist. After that it says 1 item added to playlist. Playlist does not show up in the library and there is no m3u file in the location on the server.

Edited by braigo64

6 hours ago, braigo64 said:

Same thing happens. I choose to add it to a playlist, I have to create a playlist since it thinks none exist. After that it says 1 item added to playlist. Playlist does not show up in the library and there is no m3u file in the location on the server.

HI, can you please attach the emby server log from doing that? Thanks.

OK I'm not sure why the playlist file isn't getting created, but that's the reason it later gets deleted from the database, because the library scan thinks that it's gone missing (e.g. that you deleted the playlist file).

The first thing we need to do is verify that the server even attempted to write the playlist file, and for this I will have to add more logging. It's in the beta channel now and will be in the upcoming 4.8.4 release as well.

So what I suspect is that the playlist file never got created in the first place, but what I don't know yet is whether it was attempted and failed, or not attempted at all. If it fails then the server log should have an error from that, so I'll have to double check that there's no possible way that we're swallowing the error and skipping over it silently.

braigo64
8 hours ago, Luke said:

OK I'm not sure why the playlist file isn't getting created, but that's the reason it later gets deleted from the database, because the library scan thinks that it's gone missing (e.g. that you deleted the playlist file).

The first thing we need to do is verify that the server even attempted to write the playlist file, and for this I will have to add more logging. It's in the beta channel now and will be in the upcoming 4.8.4 release as well.

So what I suspect is that the playlist file never got created in the first place, but what I don't know yet is whether it was attempted and failed, or not attempted at all. If it fails then the server log should have an error from that, so I'll have to double check that there's no possible way that we're swallowing the error and skipping over it silently.

So it sounds like when I applied the latest update at the time, it attempted to convert my existing playlists to use m3u files instead, the creation of the files failed but no error was caught and it went ahead and deleted the old playlist files (though I can still access the playlists in the library, they just say no items found in them). And same thing when I try to create a new playlist, the file fails to create and the new playlist doesn't get created.

1 hour ago, braigo64 said:

So it sounds like when I applied the latest update at the time, it attempted to convert my existing playlists to use m3u files instead, the creation of the files failed but no error was caught and it went ahead and deleted the old playlist files (though I can still access the playlists in the library, they just say no items found in them). And same thing when I try to create a new playlist, the file fails to create and the new playlist doesn't get created.

It could be either of the two that I mentioned. For the save to error silently without printing an error trace to the log would be very unusual though.

• 2 weeks later...
braigo64
On 4/13/2024 at 10:50 PM, Luke said:

It could be either of the two that I mentioned. For the save to error silently without printing an error trace to the log would be very unusual though.

After updating to 4.8.5.0 here is the latest server log. I created a playlist called Testlist7 when adding a song to a new playlist.  It added it successfully according to the pop up message. I could even see the playlist showing in a playlist section on the menu on the left side. I could click on it and it brought up the playlist with the single song in it. I went into the playlist library I have set up and it was not there. Rescanning that library didn't help. And then I noticed that the playlist section was gone from the left menu. Looking at the log file it shows it removed it from the database.

embyserver(3).txt

After you create the playlist using the web app you get a toast popup that comes up and then goes away. What does it say?

braigo64
3 hours ago, Luke said:

After you create the playlist using the web app you get a toast popup that comes up and then goes away. What does it say?

From the context menu for a song, I select "Add to Playlist". In the modal that pops up the only option is "New Playlist". I select that and in the new modal I enter the playlist name, then click the "Create" button. And this toast pops up:

Screenshot2024-04-23210508.png.d5e3dfec518aeb99b81512685ade0392.png

Eventually, the playlist appears in a new Playlist section of the left side menu. I can select it and it takes me to the playlist page with the one song. I can even play the playlist and it starts playing the song. I ssh into the server and go to the userplaylists directory but there are no files there for it at all. If I scan the playlist library and then click on the playlist in the left menu again it then says "The requested item could not be found. It may have been recently removed from the server." . When I go back to the home screen the playlist section of the left menu is gone. If I try to add a song to a playlist it again presents an empty modal with the only option as "New Playlist."

OK so that confirms that the server is choosing not to write the playlist file for some reason, so now the next step is to find out why. Again more logging will be needed. Thanks.

braigo64
18 hours ago, Luke said:

OK so that confirms that the server is choosing not to write the playlist file for some reason, so now the next step is to find out why. Again more logging will be needed. Thanks.

What's the ETA on the next release with that logging?