Movie freeze when audio is transcoded

psychedelicu

psychedelicu

Hello! I have an issue with my emby server. When the audio is transcoded, the movie is freezing once every 5-10 minutes.

I attached the logs.The movie froze at 8:03pm

Hardware: 

Dell optiplex micro / i5 9500T / 32gb ram / 2tb nvme / 4tb HDD.

ffmpeg-remux-0fa3c2d9-a79f-4cdb-97b6-77b455ad3141_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-e70211de-a926-4e54-9c41-85717b2f7fad_1.txt

SamES

Not sure.  I wouldn't have thought your hardware would be an issue for audio transcoding, but the transcode rate does drop fairly low

20:05:15.998 elapsed=00:02:07.22 frame= 5950 fps= 47 q=-1.0 size=N/A time=00:03:42.93 bitrate=N/A throttle=100 speed=1.75x    
20:05:16.500 elapsed=00:02:07.72 frame= 5953 fps= 47 q=-1.0 size=N/A time=00:03:42.93 bitrate=N/A throttle=100 speed=1.75x    
>> ThrottleBySegmentRequest: RequestPosition: 00:26:00 - TranscodingPosition: 00:28:00 - ThrottleBuffer: 121s (Treshold: 120s)
20:05:17.002 elapsed=00:02:08.23 frame= 5953 fps= 46 q=-1.0 size=N/A time=00:03:42.93 bitrate=N/A throttle=100 speed=1.74x    
20:05:17.503 elapsed=00:02:08.73 frame= 5953 fps= 46 q=-1.0 size=N/A time=00:03:42.93 bitrate=N/A throttle=100 speed=1.73x    
20:05:18.005 elapsed=00:02:09.23 frame= 5953 fps= 46 q=-1.0 size=N/A time=00:03:42.93 bitrate=N/A throttle=100 speed=1.73x    
20:05:18.506 elapsed=00:02:09.73 frame= 5953 fps= 46 q=-1.0 size=N/A time=00:03:42.93 bitrate=N/A throttle=100 speed=1.72x    
>> ThrottleBySegmentRequest: RequestPosition: 00:26:06 - TranscodingPosition: 00:28:00 - ThrottleBuffer: 115s (Treshold: 120s)
Enter throttle value: <int, ms wait per input cycle> (0 to disable)

Which disc is this path on  /data/transcoding/transcoding-temp ?

psychedelicu
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SamES said:

Not sure.  I wouldn't have thought your hardware would be an issue for audio transcoding, but the transcode rate does drop fairly low

Which disc is this path on  /data/transcoding/transcoding-temp ?

I use the same hdd disk where files are. I didn't want to use nvme for longer lifespan. I deleted the transcoding path now and i'm testing again to see if is doing the same, as the transcoding use nvme now . But in logs  it starts with 29x speed, and gradually decreases to 1.29x. So i don't think this is the issue. 

Maybe because throttling is on and cause the freeze? Maybe it forgets to start?
What are the green/red bars anyway?

image.png.26651086521c1ef847d1df4e34a76c76.png

ffmpeg-remux-a601deba-0cfa-4cea-a414-17ae9356a1ec_1.txt

Edited by psychedelicu

psychedelicu

I turned off the throttling and now it seems is working fine, so this was the issue. Developers must fix this though, because if you download something wchile you start wathing something, HDD can't handle both process. 

Also, I have checked the files in \transcoding-temp\ path and it seems video fragments appear here, hundreds of files.
Since I turned off Users > allow video transcoding, why is it still transcoding the video? Shouldn't it just do the sound?
Downloaded video file is 8.1GB and the transcoded files from \transcoding-temp\ are 7.85gb. 

Is that ok?

Hi, this could be your issue:

5c9b141743595_Untitled.png

psychedelicu
41 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, this could be your issue:

5c9b141743595_Untitled.png

These are my settings. What do you say exactly?

Screenshot_20240304_235531_Emby.jpg

Hi, try checking all four boxes and see how things compare.

SamES
4 hours ago, psychedelicu said:

I use the same hdd disk where files are. I didn't want to use nvme for longer lifespan. I deleted the transcoding path now and i'm testing again to see if is doing the same, as the transcoding use nvme now . But in logs  it starts with 29x speed, and gradually decreases to 1.29x. So i don't think this is the issue.

Just remember that in this case the system needs to read 20Mb/s for the disk, write 20Mb/s back to the disk as segments then read 20Mb/s back from the segments to send it to the device.  You also have other overhead, but you are potentially trying to process 60Mb/s of I/O.  That may not sound like a lot, but depending on the age of you motherboard, it's controller type, the age and type of your spinning disk and how full it is, you may be starting to reach a limitation.

Can you run a test with the transcoding temp moved to the nvme to see if it makes any difference?  Then we can eliminate this as an issue.

psychedelicu
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SamES said:

Just remember that in this case the system needs to read 20Mb/s for the disk, write 20Mb/s back to the disk as segments then read 20Mb/s back from the segments to send it to the device.  You also have other overhead, but you are potentially trying to process 60Mb/s of I/O.  That may not sound like a lot, but depending on the age of you motherboard, it's controller type, the age and type of your spinning disk and how full it is, you may be starting to reach a limitation.

Can you run a test with the transcoding temp moved to the nvme to see if it makes any difference?  Then we can eliminate this as an issue.

This has been discussed and tested above. I changed the temp path to nvme and I have the same issue. I'm sure it's a bug related to throttling function. I think it forgets to start again after some time.

Edited by psychedelicu

psychedelicu
14 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, try checking all four boxes and see how things compare.

I don't have emby premium, so I don't want to transcode unnecessary video files. I turnned on all the settings now, but it seems that sometimes direct play is not working and is changing to HSL for no reason and converting to compatible resolution. 

SamES
31 minutes ago, psychedelicu said:

This has been discussed and tested above. I changed the temp path to nvme and I have the same issue. I'm sure it's a bug related to throttling function. I think it forgets to start again after some time.

You deleted the transcoding path setting, but how did you confirm it was going to the nvme?  Where is /config/transcoding-temp located?  Is that the nvme?  I just want to be sure before you eliminate this possibility

Edited by SamES

psychedelicu
5 hours ago, SamES said:

You cleared the setting, but how did you confirm it was going to the nvme?  Where is /config/transcoding-temp located?  Is that the nvme?  I just want to be sure before you eliminate this possibility

I checked the path manually via ftp/smb. You can see that in the logs too. @SamES

The files were transcoded on unRAID, mnt/cache/appdata/emby which is on nvme. Also, the old folder from disk was empty during playback.

• Like 1

SamES

I'm wondering if there are some unraid/docker settings that need tweaking.  Have you searched this forum to see if others have found improvements?  Here's another forum I found which might have some suggestions: Unraid tweaks for Media server performance? - User Customizations - Unraid

Edited by SamES

psychedelicu
1 hour ago, SamES said:

I'm wondering if there are some unraid/docker settings that need tweaking.  Have you searched this forum to see if others have found improvements?  Here's another forum I found which might have some suggestions: Unraid tweaks for Media server performance? - User Customizations - Unraid

I don't think so. I used this guide: https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/How-to-setup-for/Unraid/ 

Here are my settings:
image.thumb.png.21e372ab5dad520db91cc8c6114fe162.png