Reducing bitrate due to quality setting ??

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

What does Reducing bitrate due to quality setting mean ?? and what does the RED line mean ?

Also how do I know if a remote user is buffering ?

IMG_20240303_185058.png

Edited by GrimReaper
WAN IP masked

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

What does Reducing bitrate due to quality setting mean ??

It means that client has Quality setting lower than item bitrate - either server-side enforced or client-side selected. 

and what does the RED line mean ?

Transcode progress. 

Edited by GrimReaper

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

OK on server side what can I set to make it DIrect Play ?

On the client side the VIDEO QUALITY is set to AUTO

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

heffeque

You can disable transcoding on a user basis, if that's what you are looking for.

GrimReaper

Make sure you don't have any Internet streaming bitrate limit (or set it higher than your item bitrate) set, either globally (Settings>Network) or per-user (Settings>Users>edit desired User). 

Client-side: select some fixed numerical value high enough as Auto can be (and often is) somewhat restrictive. 

Edited by GrimReaper

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

so dont use AUTO but something like 1080p FHD - 60mbps

Capture.PNG

GrimReaper
Just now, chrisrobbins1970 said:

Basically yes. 

chrisrobbins1970
Posted (edited)

ok.. than what is the sweet spot setting for the clientside ??

IF I uncheck ALL these does that diable transcoding??

Capture1.PNG

GrimReaper

ok.. than what is the sweet spot setting for the clientside ??

That depends on your collection (codecs, bitrate) and your connection (upload bandwidth), there is no "one solution fits all". 

5 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

IF I uncheck ALL these does that diable transcoding??

It does, but that is likely bound to cause more issues down the road, I'd suggest paying attention to helper text at the bottom of that section. 

Happy2Play

Client is remote and you or a mod may want to remove client address.

Would need to see server and ffmpeg log but Auto can be conservative on Remote connects (known ROKU isue) and may require user to change to a specific higher quality value.

Personally I tell all my remote users to set client to Max quality and apply limits on users or server per the server options.

Edited by Happy2Play

chrisrobbins1970

what are the "limits on users or server per the server options" ?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

what are the "limits on users or server per the server options" ?

Server side per user

image.png.d8c5cf39de8e5a225bb5e835f717a541.png

or Server side global Network page

image.png.1e79efc1e2198db61e552059a803c7b1.png

Happy2Play

But this is common issue with Roku and remote connections being over conservative and requires change on client quality.

chrisrobbins1970

my other question was how do I know if there is buffering on the remote end ?

Plex would show BUFFERING how can I tell in Emby

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

my other question was how do I know if there is buffering on the remote end ?

Plex would show BUFFERING how can I tell in Emby

What are you calling buffering?

But sounds like you are talking about throttling as by default ffmpeg goes full throttle until complete as your image shows above all conversions is complete (Red Line).

You can go to Transcoding page and enable Throttling if you wish to change this behavior to segmented intervals.

image.png.e7d2c1f52e18615bccb4c1a79eb82008.png

heffeque
On 3/3/2024 at 6:14 PM, chrisrobbins1970 said:

An issue with selecting a certain certain quality is that there's a maximum of "4K 160 Mbps", so Emby cannot reproduce 8K video.

Not that there's much 8K video out there, but just sayin'.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, heffeque said:

An issue with selecting a certain certain quality is that there's a maximum of "4K 160 Mbps", so Emby cannot reproduce 8K video.

Not that there's much 8K video out there, but just sayin'.

Given the current limits it can't happen now.  So speculating on 8K is mute.

Up to 1080p (1920 x 1080) with up-scaling from 720p. Up to 2160p at 60fps (3840 × 2160) with up-scaling from 720p and 1080p. Supports Dolby Vision®, HDR10/10+, and HLG up to 60fps. *Requires compatible TV with an HDMI input that supports HDCP 2.2.

heffeque
23 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Given the current limits it can't happen now.  So speculating on 8K is mute.

What can't happen. What's "it". I'm confused.

I just tried playing a couple 8K videos on Emby and they didn't work (neither Emby app, nor using Edge). No issues with direct playing 4K on a 1080p screen.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, heffeque said:

What can't happen. What's "it". I'm confused.

I just tried playing a couple 8K videos on Emby and they didn't work (neither Emby app, nor using Edge). No issues with direct playing 4K on a 1080p screen.

Sure they do play in browser or app but will need to be transcoded down to 4K.  But not really related to this topic.  But sputters on my hardware as could only get AV1 decoding in software.

image.png.b5efa2cd6eceff4cfb6370376c6d9be4.png

Happy2Play

At the same time the Resolution is not correct on all quality/playback menus as only bitrate is utilized and completely ignores 4K/1080p/720p and so on.

heffeque
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sure they do play in browser or app but will need to be transcoded down to 4K.  But not really related to this topic.

Isn't avoiding transcoding the whole point of this thread?

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

At the same time the Resolution is not correct on all quality/playback menus as only bitrate is utilized and completely ignores 4K/1080p/720p and so on.

Good to know!

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, heffeque said:

Isn't avoiding transcoding the whole point of this thread?

Sure but you can't force something that is not support to direct play like your example of 8K.

But the issue here is Emby AUTO setting on most remote clients will be very conservative and fallback to a hardcoded rate somewhere like 1.5Mbps.  As this has always been an issue really specific to Roku.  Auto is not your friend if you don't want transcoding on remote sessions.

heffeque
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sure but you can't force something that is not support to direct play like your example of 8K.

What do you mean? My 1080p screen can direct play 4K content. Why wouldn't it 8K? The 8K video plays when playing on VLC, MPC-HC, etc.

I'm not saying that I want/need 8K playback though. Just commenting that it's weird that 4K direct playback is supported but 8K direct playback isn't or doesn't seem so (interdependently whether the client can play 8K or not).

5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But the issue here is Emby AUTO setting on most remote clients will be very conservative and fallback to a hardcoded rate somewhere like 1.5Mbps.  As this has always been an issue really specific to Roku.  Auto is not your friend if you don't want transcoding on remote sessions.

Yep, noticed that Auto was doing lots of unnecessary transcoding. I've been setting "4k 160 Mbps" on most devices for some time now.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, heffeque said:

What do you mean? My 1080p screen can direct play 4K content. Why wouldn't it 8K? The 8K video plays when playing on VLC, MPC-HC, etc.

Devs would know more about this but per my transcode log device protocol returned a limit &MaxWidth=3840 so 8K is not an option.

Limitations of this browser/hardware.

&VideoCodec=h264,h265,hevc,av1&AudioCodec=ac3,mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=159872001&AudioBitrate=127999&MaxWidth=3840&AudioStreamIndex=1&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=2

heffeque

What you are showing there are limitations that Emby is putting on browsers, correct?

Because 8K works OK on Firefox, and on Chromium based browsers (just tried Firefox and Edge here).