Emby appears to downscale embedded song image in 4.8.1.0

wedgekc

wedgekc

Prior to 4.8.1.0, I  added music by tagging and embeding high quality album artwork (fanart) using picard and Emby would use the high quality artwork for both the album and also each song.  In 4.8.1.0, it appears the use the fanart embedded image but down scales it to 600x600 for each track.  I can delete the album cover and add the high quality album cover but it must be done for each track.  Is this the expected behavior?  

The included images show the embedded image (1000x1000) but the image screen shows the down scaled album cover.

details.png

image screen.png

Hi, what's not true. Emby doesn't downscale images after downloading them from remote providers.

And in fact, Emby doesn't download images for individual tracks. It downloads them for albums. My guess is you probably have your downlaoded high res image assigned to the album, but then each track has an embedded image inside the file. So the album shows its image and each trach shows it's own as well.

Happy2Play

Yes what is your Library image provider settings?  As downloaded Album images can be different then embedded track images per your library settings.

Personally always ensure when tagging the image is extracted to Album folder.

But at the same time you need to ensure your library structure option is set properly also if not folder and folder images may not be used at all.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Library set Structure 

image.png.d6ffeb48c5efb2123dd26995afe965d4.png

Had folder image during import.

image.png.caa0dcd6db672feabbbde939094fc9bb.png

Not positive as appear the note below now applies in 4.8.3.0. @Luke

image.png.63ded4cb298419e904ead8dbd8fd70a9.png

Note:  I believe there is change in beta server 4.9.0.8 that image extraction will happen before image providers.  

But will not apply your your server version that I am aware of.  But in the end we need a lot more info from you about your settings.

You could disable the embedded image extraction, but of course you'll probably run into cases where you do want it to happen. 

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

You could disable the embedded image extraction, but of course you'll probably run into cases where you do want it to happen. 

Was just wondering if it was ported to 4.8.3.0 as I know you changed it in beta per the other topic.

Also shouldn't it show resolution?

As deleting image via UI automatically applies extracted image.

Edited by Happy2Play

Also shouldn't it show resolution?

Not yet if it's an internet image url that hasn't been downloaded  yet.

Note:  I believe there is change in beta server 4.9.0.8 that image extraction will happen before image providers.  

It always has, and if it ever wasn't, then it shouldn't have been that way.

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

Not yet if it's an internet image url that hasn't been downloaded  yet.

Always forget about that but I am on the album so would assume it was but I am getting same results on stable and beta deleting the downloaded image automatically presents what I will assume as embedded as there is no search option available on the image above but search is available on context menu.

16 minutes ago, Luke said:

It always has, and if it ever wasn't, then it shouldn't have been that way.

Is/was the issue just the UI presentation as order of precedence?  But will look at 4.7 when I get a chance as I believe provider superceed extraction when image not present in folder.

image.png.a5eff30f64b567fdf27c4a88e7dfda14.png

wedgekc
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, what's not true. Emby doesn't downscale images after downloading them from remote providers.

And in fact, Emby doesn't download images for individual tracks. It downloads them for albums. My guess is you probably have your downlaoded high res image assigned to the album, but then each track has an embedded image inside the file. So the album shows its image and each trach shows it's own as well.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, each track does have a high res image embedded by me when added to Emby per the images in my first post (1000x1000).  Also from the images in my first post, Emby shows a down scaled 600x600 image when you view images from each track, not 1000x1000 like the embedded image.  Shot in the dark.  See this in the logs (600x600) just like when viewing the track images:

Thanks

Info QuickSingleImageExtractor: ProcessRun 'quick-extract-image' Execute: /bin/ffmpeg -f flac -threads 1 -copyts -i file:"/mnt/Data/Music/Flac/Jon Astley/Everyone Loves the Pilot (Except the Crew) (1987)/01 Jane's Getting Serious.flac" -map 0:1 -update 1 -vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,600)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -vsync 0 -f image2 "/config/cache/temp/ec06c462-cf6e-4490-a3fb-79ab40fa6483.jpg"

wedgekc
54 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Library set Structure 

image.png.d6ffeb48c5efb2123dd26995afe965d4.png

Had folder image during import.

image.png.caa0dcd6db672feabbbde939094fc9bb.png

Not positive as appear the note below now applies in 4.8.3.0. @Luke

image.png.63ded4cb298419e904ead8dbd8fd70a9.png

But will not apply your your server version that I am aware of.  But in the end we need a lot more info from you about your settings.

Yes, this is what happens.  No resolution is shown until replaced with desired image.  Here are my music library settings:

settings1.png

settings2.png

Happy2Play

Now I see where you are talking about, Folder view and look at each track as it does show 600x600 where the actual image embedded into track is 1200x1200 per the folder image above @Luke

per track (folder view) or edit image on any track anywhere

image.png.779a1222441f22933e2a2699a4ff4175.png

vs the extracted embedded image in folder

image.png

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

But will note do not see this behavior in 4.9 only 4.8.

wedgekc
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Now I see where you are talking about, Folder view and look at each track as it does show 600x600 where the actual image embedded into track is 1200x1200 per the folder image above @Luke

per track (folder view)

image.png.779a1222441f22933e2a2699a4ff4175.png

vs the extracted embedded image in folder

image.png

Yes, thanks for the help.  If my embedded images are all 1000x1000 and my only downloader is Fanart (all 1000x1000, I believe), where are the 600x600 track images coming from?

600x600 in the server log, I know it says cache but?   Info QuickSingleImageExtractor: ProcessRun 'quick-extract-image' Execute: /bin/ffmpeg -f flac -threads 1 -copyts -i file:"/mnt/Data/Music/Flac/Jon Astley/Everyone Loves the Pilot (Except the Crew) (1987)/01 Jane's Getting Serious.flac" -map 0:1 -update 1 -vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,600)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -vsync 0 -f image2 "/config/cache/temp/ec06c462-cf6e-4490-a3fb-79ab40fa6483.jpg"

Edited by wedgekc
extra info
  • Agree 1

Happy2Play

extracted track image different server metadata\library images

stable

image.png.a8decde6a3432587157ee3ed15548563.png

beta

image.png.9ab2d4fd50f28c7adf3142af4d03eaed.png

Yes sorry that's correct. Embedded images are downscaled to 600px in 4.8 but not 4.9.

wedgekc

@LukeAs I'm a bit anal with album cover art, having specifically tagged all my music with the desired art/quality, will this be the case for all 4.8 point releases?  If so,  will the 4.9 development cycle be as long as 4.8?  Would you recommend 4.9 beta?

• Like 1

It may get backported to 4.8 at some point but I'm not sure yet.

• 1 month later...

hi, we'll backport this fix to Emby Server 4.8.6. Thanks.

• Like 1