Latest update broke Genre even more

AlHayes

AlHayes
3 minutes ago, viking19 said:

You can go back. Shut down Emby then open \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server and you will see system.old, that should be 4.8.1. Just rename system folder to something else and delete the .old from system.old then start Emby. Immediately uncheck automatic updates and save settings then open \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata and delete the updates folder, now it will be safe to restart Emby without it forcing 4.8.3.

Thank you, @viking19. Before I do any of that, I confirmed that the .old folder is indeed v4.8.1.0 & the EmbyServer.exe is. I will do this after I return in an hour or so.

That will/should at least get my downloads working properly. Hopefully there will be a better/permanent fix soon.

Al.

G2J!

AlHayes

No, that did not work. I'm not sure which build actually worked for proper genre download since I've always been using that feature & Emby would just automatically download songs when I would move them to my library folder. Now I just have a strange hybrid version somewhere between v4.8.1.0 & v4.8.3.0. My android app sees the genre category pre-facelift (no subcategories within genre) even though it still would try & download many extra songs  & TV Windows computer using Chrome would see the subcategories! So I updated to v4.8.3.0 & no change...my android app still won't see the subcategories even after rebooting, uninstalling, & reinstalling the app.

Also, the only way I can download a genre (overinflated) to my phone is to restart the server after I make sure that it is in my downloads page. Otherwise it just sits there with "Ready to Transfer" under the number of items.

Any more ideas...or do I have to wait for more people to notice this problem & it gets fixed?

Al.

G2J!

Ready to Transfer.jpg

embyserver (1).txt

AlHayes
On 3/17/2024 at 3:31 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we're looking into it. Thanks.

Thank you, that'd be great.

Al.

G2J!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
AlHayes

2 new updates & hopefully still looking into it a month later?

Al.

G2J!

Hi, we've identified and resolved an issue where some incorrect items can end up being played when playing or shuffling a genre. For those seeing a crash or slow performance when playing or shuffling a genre, I think the fix will help with that as well. This will be on the beta channel in a day or two and then backported to the next 4.8.X maintenance release next week. Thanks.

• Like 2

AlHayes

Thank you for letting me know. I look forward to not having to download my genres artist by artist or album by album or song by song.

Al.

G2J!

Vicpa

Hi @Luke

FYI,

Below is the header for Genre->Type -> Albums -> Show All

shuffle.thumb.png.7dfd46608229f52c9da3887349690226.png

If I click the Shuffle Button ... The Client (Store: Emby Theater - Release Server) (Web - Beta .14) crashes the Emby Server (it becomes unresponsive, can't shutdown or restart) it requires a machine reboot. Not sure what is going on. 

Attached are the last three server logs from my test machine. My test run was run this morning

embyserver.txtembyserver-63849600000.txtembyserver-63849635001.txt 

I will test again when the changes are pushed to beta

-Vicpa

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vicpa said:

Hi @Luke

FYI,

Below is the header for Genre->Type -> Albums -> Show All

shuffle.thumb.png.7dfd46608229f52c9da3887349690226.png

If I click the Shuffle Button ... The Client (Store: Emby Theater - Release Server) (Web - Beta .14) crashes the Emby Server (it becomes unresponsive, can't shutdown or restart) it requires a machine reboot. Not sure what is going on. 

Attached are the last three server logs from my test machine. My test run was run this morning

embyserver.txt 45.92 kB · 0 downloads embyserver-63849600000.txt 335.83 kB · 0 downloads embyserver-63849635001.txt 68.69 kB · 0 downloads  

I will test again when the changes are pushed to beta

-Vicpa

OK I can't reproduce that but I think there's a good chance that the changes made will help with it. Thanks.

Hi @Luke

Testing update for .15 and more context.

I tested Three Shuffle Buttons on a genre type. Release and .15 still produce the same results. The first two work see below.

The Main/Visible below works as expected Content appears correct (I think this one always was correct ?)

MainShuffle.thumb.png.2e825fb33e7639ebc9813352fbe60f62.png

Click on artists in above view The shuffle button in the screen below works. The content of this view is incorrect by the definition I use as incorrect artists are included.

ArtistShuffle.thumb.png.97e2a1b12a059851cf923d5afd8c7f97.png

Click on Albums from main Screen. The Shuffle button produces a hard failure on both release and .15 ( I realize it a pain if you can't reproduce)

It is odd because the expected result is the same as the main First Shuffle unless it is trying to produce a playlist of random grouping of albums of in the genre. 

AlbumShuffle.thumb.png.3fdf41ffeaad370703637f489b58497d.png

Shutdown1.png.46c0055f3e2edfaea46fa6cfd77843b3.png

shutdown.png.77d0c5b10830663f5213e7da4e41140c.png

You have to manually end the task.

Anyway I would normally use the first shuffle -  Random Tracks from the selected genre

-vicpa

• Thanks 1

viking19

Server 4.9.0.15 is still broken, this is with the web browser on the server PC.

1: Music->Genre->Context Menu->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with fast playlist creation

2: Music->Genre->Artists->Shuffle or Play : Wrong genres with fast playlist creation

3: Music->Genre->Albums->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with very slow playlist creation (135 seconds), high cpu usage during that time

4: Music->Genre->Songs->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with slow playlist creation (30 seconds), high cpu usage during that time

On android mobile 1 and 2 are the same but 2 and 3 show high server cpu but eventually don't play at all.

On first install and after one restart it seemed to work correctly, however after another restart it's broken again. I believe I saw this behaviour with 4.8.x which is why I was misled into thinking it was fixed earlier.

• Like 1

Hi 

I agree with @viking19 report

My Opinion

3) Album Shuffle --  135 seconds (something is not right)

-vicpa

BTW an acceptable time for 1-4 should be 3-5 seconds at the max IMO

Edited by Vicpa

FYI

The Artist view in Genre returns incorrect data IMO (The tags are correct so don't even go there ☹️)

This is part of my "JAZZ" artists

Jazz.png.02bf693a6ff0599f6caabf4bc7eb2123.png

As long as Ludwig shows up it is incorrect, IMO

-vicpa

1 hour ago, Vicpa said:

FYI

The Artist view in Genre returns incorrect data IMO (The tags are correct so don't even go there ☹️)

This is part of my "JAZZ" artists

Jazz.png.02bf693a6ff0599f6caabf4bc7eb2123.png

As long as Ludwig shows up it is incorrect, IMO

-vicpa

HI, please let me know if 4.9.0.16 resolves it, once available for your platform. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Vicpa said:

This may be because Beethoven happens to have a Composer credit on one (or more) of your JAZZ albums??? I get a similar result with my BLUES Genre Artists that show Brian Wilson (formally of The Beach Boys) in the list because he has a Composer credit on one of my Fleetwood Mac Blues tagged Albums. So, possibly not a case of incorrect tags, but of an extensively and correctly tagged music library at Composer level?

In some areas, Emby treats Album Artists, Artists and Composers at the same level, despite the three being distinctly different tag entities. (You would know this anyway.) It happens with Song selection and filtering, and now also with Genres. There is another topic about this here: 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98180-menu-option-genres-for-music-music-videos-and-audiobook-libraries-displays-album-view-change-to-artist-view/page/2/

scroll down to:

@ginjaninja

"it seems artist genres can come from songs they are tagged composer or writer on

should composer/writer credits contribute to an artist's genres?....not sure"

Hopefully some enhanced filtering/separation of the three entities will stop 'polluting/diluting' what many (most?) people expect to see.

Edited by user24
  • Like 1

tedfroop21
6 hours ago, user24 said:

This may be because Beethoven happens to have a Composer credit on one (or more) of your JAZZ albums???

I have been ripping tagging and listening to music on my Squeezeboxes for about 24 years.  I have never had anything show up in my server that wasn't reflected in my tags somewhere.

.........and NOTHING is as frustrating as classical music.  I just ripped and cleaned up tags for an album that credited the well know keyboard player Itzhak Pearlman..........

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tedfroop21 said:

I have been ripping tagging and listening to music on my Squeezeboxes for about 24 years.  I have never had anything show up in my server that wasn't reflected in my tags somewhere.

.........and NOTHING is as frustrating as classical music.  I just ripped and cleaned up tags for an album that credited the well know keyboard player Itzhak Pearlman..........

Agree.. But

classical music is difficult and different in certain regards.

So from my perspective More of a rock, jazz and blues guy..

It's all in what the server does with the tags. The example I am using demonstrates my point. Just cause Ludwig composed a piece,  that a Jazz Artist did a version of in 2011, Doesn't Really make Ludwig a "Jazz Artist" or does it ?

For that matter why is Ludwig ever considered an "Artist" at all. 

-vicpa

22 hours ago, viking19 said:

1: Music->Genre->Context Menu->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with fast playlist creation

2: Music->Genre->Artists->Shuffle or Play : Wrong genres with fast playlist creation

3: Music->Genre->Albums->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with very slow playlist creation (135 seconds), high cpu usage during that time

4: Music->Genre->Songs->Shuffle or Play : Correct genre with slow playlist creation (30 seconds), high cpu usage during that time

Server 4.9.0.16 appears to have fixed the wrong genres being added to the playlist, so 1 and 2 on my list are working from the web browser on the server PC. However, 3 and 4 still exist and the length of the delay is related to the number of albums or songs.

On android mobile v3.3.77 numbers 3 and 4 are still broken with high server cpu usage but eventually don't play at all. Only genres with a low number of albums or songs will play.

1 hour ago, Vicpa said:

Hi @Luke

Beta .16 still shows incorrect results.

"Jazz Artists"

artist.thumb.png.8b532e4ffaddfa7e7e1c1b45def98f23.png

-vicpa

I'm not seeing this on my server. I agree with the others it's a tag issue, I'm not saying your tags are wrong but if he is credited on a Jazz album this happens. I have Plácido Domingo showing in the Country genre because he is on a John Denver album.

20 minutes ago, viking19 said:

I'm not seeing this on my server. I agree with the others it's a tag issue, I'm not saying your tags are wrong but if he is credited on a Jazz album this happens. I have Plácido Domingo showing in the Country genre because he is on a John Denver album.

Not the case Ludwig has only "Composer" credits in my Library, no artist credits of any kind or performer credits for that mater.

BTW My library is fully tagged by Picard with the MBrainz tags I am sure I have errors in my tags, but not one that involves Ludwig

-vicpa

Tag1.png.404b3cd228495dd55d1db3aa479da491.png

Just so we can rule out tags. Above is the Picard View of the embedded tags of the track that makes Ludwig a "Jazz Artist"