Can't connect to server via web app on the server's machine

botbswco
Go to solution Solved by botbswco,

botbswco

Luke

Yes and No.  I have made some progress.

Current situation:

I cannot use embyconnect from any machine to connect including the machine the server is running on, another machine on the same LAN or a remote WAN connection and behaves as described above.  I've attached a screen shot with the error.

I changed some router settings and I can now connect over the WAN as noted below.

I can connect using localhost:8096 on the server box, ip:8096 on another machine on the LAN and remoteip:8096 from a remote box/WAN.  From the LAN it connects directly.  From the WAN, I'm presented with a log in/password and use an emby id saved on the server.

While I've got your attention.  Could you please point me to a forum post or a link the describes the update process.  I'd like to update to the newest version but, as I remember, the last time I tried I got some errors.  Or, does the service need to be stopped before performing the update?

Thanks

emby error screen.jpg

I've attached a screen shot with the error.

Doesn't the message in the dialog pretty much spell it out? You need to do one of those two things.

Third option would be to use an installed Emby app instead of the web app. Fourth option is: 

I can connect using localhost:8096 on the server box, ip:8096 on another machine on the LAN and remoteip:8096 from a remote box/WAN.

I'd like to update to the newest version but, as I remember, the last time I tried I got some errors.  Or, does the service need to be stopped before performing the update?

I would shut down the server, then install the latest version on top of your existing version. Please let us know how this goes. Thanks.

botbswco

Luke,

As to your reply on using embyconnect,  I don't understand what you are saying and I guess I really don't need the ability to log in that way anyway.  I also didn't realize there was a stand alone app for windows.  I tried it and it works.  The only thing it lacks is server management.

I  was able to update the server to 4.8.3.0.  Now I have a problem getting to server management.  If I hover over the gear icon in the upper right, it says manage emby server.  If I click that, I get the same pull down as for the head&shoulders icon next to it.  Same 3 choices, App settings, change user and sign-out.  Nothing about server management.  Also tried the Emby Server Dashboard on the Windows start menu.  Got a message there saying it couldn't find file \dashboard-ui\dashboard.html.  I verified that there is no such file in that folder.

Thanks again

10 hours ago, botbswco said:

Luke,

I  was able to update the server to 4.8.3.0.  Now I have a problem getting to server management.  If I hover over the gear icon in the upper right, it says manage emby server.  If I click that, I get the same pull down as for the head&shoulders icon next to it.  Same 3 choices, App settings, change user and sign-out.  Nothing about server management.  Also tried the Emby Server Dashboard on the Windows start menu.  Got a message there saying it couldn't find file \dashboard-ui\dashboard.html.  I verified that there is no such file in that folder.

Hi, this would happen if you're not signed in with an admin user.

botbswco

Luke,

The logged in ID is a windows admin user.  I couldn't find anywhere to designate an Emby admin id.

Hollis

On 3/16/2024 at 10:30 AM, botbswco said:

Luke,

The logged in ID is a windows admin user.  I couldn't find anywhere to designate an Emby admin id.

Hollis

Right but it needs to be an admin user in your Emby Server installation, not an admin windows user. Does that make sense? Do you know the username of your admin user for your Emby Server?

• Solution
botbswco

It makes perfect sense.  I had created a new emby ID because I had misplaced the password for the original id which, probably by default, was designated as the admin.  Finally recovered the original password and I can get to the admin settings now.

Thanks for your help on this.  As a heads up, I'm going to submit a trouble/bug report for the roku app not displaying folder/file symbols in the photo library.

Thanks again,  I'm done with this thread, do I need to close it or anything?

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 1:49 PM, botbswco said:

It makes perfect sense.  I had created a new emby ID because I had misplaced the password for the original id which, probably by default, was designated as the admin.  Finally recovered the original password and I can get to the admin settings now.

Thanks for your help on this.  As a heads up, I'm going to submit a trouble/bug report for the roku app not displaying folder/file symbols in the photo library.

Thanks again,  I'm done with this thread, do I need to close it or anything?

Thanks for following up!