Can't connect to server via web app on the server's machine

botbswco
Go to solution Solved by botbswco,

botbswco

Running 4.7.14.0.  on Win 10 22H2

Haven't had the need to log onto the server via the web app in a long time.  Viewing content  OK via Roku.  Have added new media just by putting files into the proper directories and Emby pics them up OK.

If I try to access the server via the web, I go to emby.media and the home page comes up.  I log in and I get a "Welcome to Emby" screen with a link to download the server and a NEXT button.  If I click the NEXT button, I get a "Sign in with Emby Connect".  I Log in and I get a screen with "Add a Server" or "Sign in with Emby Connect".  If I click the "Add a Server", I get the manual log-in screen.  I put in the URL for this computer and leave the default port and get an "Unable to reach Server message".

I've looked at the logs and they look clean, only message I saw was that there is a new server version available.

Thanks for any help you can share.

I put in the URL for this computer and leave the default port and get an "Unable to reach Server message".

Hi there, what address is in the browser address bar?

botbswco

Luke,

When the page comes up the host address is blank but the port is prepopulated with 8096.  I am entering 90.168.2.154.  I am getting that address by doing ipconfig in the cmd window.  I also tried myserver.com with the same result.  Again, this is on the same physical machine as the server.

Thanks

darkassassin07

Can you connect with localhost:8096 or <lan ip>:8096?

botbswco

Just did a netstat -ab and port 8096 is assigned to embyserver.exe and is listening.

darkassassin07

Must be a firewall in the way.

Try disabling Windows firewall

3 hours ago, botbswco said:

Luke,

When the page comes up the host address is blank but the port is prepopulated with 8096.  I am entering 90.168.2.154.  I am getting that address by doing ipconfig in the cmd window.  I also tried myserver.com with the same result.  Again, this is on the same physical machine as the server.

Thanks

Is that your remote ip address or your lan ip address? If you're on the same local network as the server then try using your local network ip address. That looks like a remote address.

botbswco

darkassassin07 - Don't think it's a firewall issue.  ROKU box on same LAN gets in OK.  However, I did try your suggestion but same result.

Luke - I gave you the gateway address by mistake.  The machine's IP is 192.168.2.64 and I am trying to run the web app on the same physical box.  I am entering that IP into the Emby host field.  The local lan consists of two routers with one configured as a bridge with DHCP disabled. The other router is the "main" router with the WAN connection and DHCP enabled.  The ROKU box is cable connected to the bridge router (not WIFI) and is able to access the server and play content.

Questions: 

Before this episode, when I logged in via Emby connect, the server was available to select.  Now why there are no servers to select from?  

Why is the ROKU box still able to connect?

What subnet does it show the Roku is connected to? It is the same as the server with 192.168.2.*?

Then the app you are connect to is on 192.168.1.* and the bridge isn't actually bridging since it sounds like you have a Double NAT.

botbswco

Speechless,

Everything is on 192.168.2.....here's the device list.  The Roku ultra on .206 is working (haven't checked the other rokus) and the PC running the server is Hollis HP on 64.  The gateway is 192.168.2.254.  Screen shot from the "main" router.  DHCP is disabled on the bridge router.  The Roku is physically connected to the bridge router.

As I said initially, It's been a long time since I needed to connect via the web app or connect to emby.com.  In fact, I had to reset the password.  Can you see if there are any other botbswco accounts with adifferent email address?  I still don't understand why, if I'm on the correct emby account, the server doesn't show up in the server list.

Thanks

devicelist.jpg

Happy2Play

Have you applied Device restrictions to the user?

Made any changes from default on Network page?

Use localhost or 127.0.0.1 if you are using web app on the same machine.

Edited by speechles

botbswco

happy2play:  Nope and nope

Speechless:  Well the box did a forced windows update last night and restarted.  This morning 127.0.0.1 doesn't work, gives a failed to connect message.  Local host does now work.  However, still can't connect from another pc on the local net via emby connect or by ip.  I can ping the server box.  I also tested another Roku box that has been dormant awhile and it works OK.

6 hours ago, botbswco said:

happy2play:  Nope and nope

Speechless:  Well the box did a forced windows update last night and restarted.  This morning 127.0.0.1 doesn't work, gives a failed to connect message.  Local host does now work.  However, still can't connect from another pc on the local net via emby connect or by ip.  I can ping the server box.  I also tested another Roku box that has been dormant awhile and it works OK.

Are you trying to use the LAN IP of the server or the remote IP?

Happy2Play

Can you post a server log after startup.

botbswco

I'm still here.....been tied up.  Things have changed somewhat.  I need to do some additional testing and then I will post current situation.

Thanks for checking up on me!

Hollis

• Thanks 1

botbswco
Posted (edited)

Rebooted server box

started browser (brave) and went to emby.media.

Clicked logon and entered my email botbswco@gmail & password.

Received screen that seemed to indicate I was a new user and gave a link to download server.  

Clicked next and got screen with 2 choices:  Add server or sign-in with emby connect.

Tried the emby connect option (thought I would have already logged into emby connect by logging onto home page?) Logged in with same credentials and it looped back to same page.

Tried the emby connect option again but went this time clicked skip to log in manually.  Still looped back to page with 2 choices.

Tried the Add Server option.  Entered 192.168.2.64 with port 8096 and got the Unable to Reach Server Box.

Opened new tab in browser and entered http://192.168.2.64:8096.  Got the screen with 3 choices, My Server named Hollis being one of them.  Clicked on that and the server home page opened.

Opened new tab in browser and entered localhost:8096.  Got the screen with 3 choices, My Server named Hollis being one of them.  Clicked on that and the server home page opened.

On another PC on the LAN

Logging into emby.media gave the same behavior.

Lan access via 192.168.2.64 worked correctly.

WAN access via http://[redacted]:8096 (wan ip reported on settings page of the server) generated message [redacted] refused to connect.  This doesn't surprise me because I've never attempted it before and I've not done any configuration in the router.

The Logs for today are attached.

Thanks

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63845507585.txt embyserver-63845507553.txt

Edited by GrimReaper
WAN IP masked

Happy2Play

Opened new tab in browser and entered http://192.168.2.64:8096.  Got the screen with 3 choices, My Server named Hollis being one of them.  Clicked on that and the server home page opened.

Opened new tab in browser and entered localhost:8096.  Got the screen with 3 choices, My Server named Hollis being one of them.  Clicked on that and the server home page opened.

Please edit you post above removing/masking WAN.

That makes no sense as that is a direct connection to one server.  You do not get other select server options.

Now from a Connect/Online app standpoint you have a Select server option assuming you have setup Remote access for the Servers.

botbswco

Thanks for the wan warning....but I can't  edit or delete the post.  I've taken the server down and will change the ip.

Happy2Play

Doesn't look like there is a mod on right now but @GrimReapercan take care of the issue two post up.

botbswco

GrimReaper:  Thanks for masking the IP

Happy2Play:  The 3 choices are Hollis (my server), Manual Login and Forgot Password.

Happy2Play

Happy2Play:  The 3 choices are Hollis (my server), Manual Login and Forgot Password.

Okay yes from a localhost/lanip connection those are you only options.

image.thumb.png.882f24d3654783f85474bdfd34fd18d4.png

@botbswcohas this answered your questions? Are you still having an issue with this?