emby cannot update metadata automatically and update metadata for the

xiaolulu

xiaolulu

I use sonar to add episodes. In order to improve emby's recognition rate, I need to use sonarr's nfo file, but sonarr only supports generating English nfo, and I set the "Preferred Metadata Download Language" in the emby media library folder to Chinese. However, when emby scans for new episodes, the updated metadata is still in English. It can only be manually updated to Chinese metadata via "Recognize".
  There is another problem. After I add a series, because it is in English, I need to use the manual "recognition" function. Emby can update the episode summary, but after sonarr adds a new episode, emby does not add information such as an overview of the newly added episode.

Hi this is because Emby uses the data in your nfo.

Best thing to do is configure sonar to not create nfo files and then let Emby handle it

xiaolulu
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi this is because Emby uses the data in your nfo.

Best thing to do is configure sonar to not create nfo files and then let Emby handle it

I tried not using sonarr's nfo file, but emby had an error when processing a certain TV series. For example, The Hunter, its tvdb ID is 446253, but ebmy recognizes it as another series. Without the blessing of nfo files, what will emby rely on to improve the recognition rate?

4 minutes ago, xiaolulu said:

I tried not using sonarr's nfo file, but emby had an error when processing a certain TV series. For example, The Hunter, its tvdb ID is 446253, but ebmy recognizes it as another series. Without the blessing of nfo files, what will emby rely on to improve the recognition rate?

Well then let's look at that, but I think that's what you should do.

xiaolulu

Ok, again I un-used sonarr's nfo file. But I think there is also a possibility that emby will identify the wrong episodes. Because there is no relevant information, it is unstable to determine the correct information based on the file name alone.

9 minutes ago, xiaolulu said:

Ok, again I un-used sonarr's nfo file. But I think there is also a possibility that emby will identify the wrong episodes. Because there is no relevant information, it is unstable to determine the correct information based on the file name alone.

If and when it happens then let's look at a specific example and I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of it.

darkassassin07

You could have sonarr/radarr include the tvbd, tmdb, or imdb id in the name of the media folders.

Add

[tvdbid={tvdbid}]

Or

[imdbid={imdbid}]

Or

[tmdbid={tmdbid}]

To the end of your folder naming format in sonarr/radarr.

Edited by darkassassin07

xiaolulu
1 minute ago, darkassassin07 said:

You could have sonarr/radarr include the tvbd, tmdb, or imdb id in the name of the media folders.

Add

[tvdbid={tvdvid}]

Or

[imdbid={imdbid}]

Or

[tmdbid={tmdbid}]

To the end of your folder naming format in sonarr/radarr.

This is a compromise. Because this will affect the aesthetics of the file.

2 minutes ago, xiaolulu said:

This is a compromise. Because this will affect the aesthetics of the file.

But you won't see it in Emby though. 

xiaolulu
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

If and when it happens then let's look at a specific example and I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of it.

You can try the show I mentioned, The Hunter. TVDB ID is 446253. If you add it in sonarr without using the nfo file, emby will recognize it incorrectly.

3 minutes ago, xiaolulu said:

You can try the show I mentioned, The Hunter. TVDB ID is 446253. If you add it in sonarr without using the nfo file, emby will recognize it incorrectly.

What is the folder name?

darkassassin07

I...

Seriously?

Would you rather have no info except for a title for Emby to work with?

If you can't provide emby with nfos in the format/language you'd like imported, there's not much else emby can do but look at the folder/file title.

The only places these folder names would be seen is directly in a file browser, or in the file path listed at the very bottom of each item, only visible to server admins.

If you really really cant stand that solution;

I do find sonarr+emby tend to work best together when emby is set to use thetvdb primarily for shows (and themoviedb for movies+radarr). I find very few miss-matched titles, but it's not perfect.

xiaolulu
1 minute ago, Luke said:

But you won't see it in Emby though. 

I know. But I have obsessive-compulsive disorder and don't want to see irrelevant information on the hard drive.

2 minutes ago, xiaolulu said:

The Hunter

Can you at least have sonarr put the year into it

The Hunter (2024)

xiaolulu
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you at least have sonarr put the year into it

The Hunter (2024)

sonarr does not add year information when renaming the residence name folder, only adds year information to the episode file name in "Episode Format". I tried adding year information to the episode filename, {Series TitleYear} - S{season:00}E{episode:00}.

xiaolulu
27 minutes ago, Luke said:

What is the folder name?

The Hunter。 sonarr cannot add year date to episode series folder. I have now changed the renaming settings to add year information to the episode file names.

5 minutes ago, xiaolulu said:

sonarr does not add year information when renaming the residence name folder, only adds year information to the episode file name in "Episode Format". I tried adding year information to the episode filename, {Series TitleYear} - S{season:00}E{episode:00}.

Are you sure? I would think it must have an option for it, @darkassassin07?

xiaolulu
25 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

I...

Seriously?

Would you rather have no info except for a title for Emby to work with?

If you can't provide emby with nfos in the format/language you'd like imported, there's not much else emby can do but look at the folder/file title.

The only places these folder names would be seen is directly in a file browser, or in the file path listed at the very bottom of each item, only visible to server admins.

If you really really cant stand that solution;

I do find sonarr+emby tend to work best together when emby is set to use thetvdb primarily for shows (and themoviedb for movies+radarr). I find very few miss-matched titles, but it's not perfect.

I checked any metadata related options in the media library file.

darkassassin07

Both sonarr and radarr let you highly customize exactly how they format series folders, season folders, movie folders, and the file names themselves.

In both apps: Settings > Media Management > Show Advanced

Under the top sections 'Movie Naming' and 'Episode Naming'

In Radarr I have my 'Movie Folder Format' set to: '{Movie Title} ({Release Year})'

/edit: note, click the '?' icon next to each field to see what variables you can use in the names.

Sonarr has {Series Year} and for episodes {Air-Date}

They also will not rename folders, only set them on creation. To rename folders you must remove the series/movie, manually rename, then re-import to somarr/radarr.

They will rename movie/episode files.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Thanks 1

xiaolulu

Because of the previous manual identification, some of the episode series folders on my disk now have year information, and some episodes have no year information. Now I can't figure out what's going on. I'll keep an eye out again when I add episodes in the future.

Edited by xiaolulu
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Same name shows will always have issues and will require usually year or provided id.  Just no way around it as there are six different "The Hunter" series on TVDB alone.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
xiaolulu
2 hours ago, Luke said:

@xiaoluluhas this helped?

Some have been resolved and some have not. For example: I did not use sonarr's nfo metadata information, but because the episode folder created by sonarr is in English, even though I set Chinese metadata in emby media, emby will still generate English nfo.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:23 PM, xiaolulu said:

Some have been resolved and some have not. For example: I did not use sonarr's nfo metadata information, but because the episode folder created by sonarr is in English, even though I set Chinese metadata in emby media, emby will still generate English nfo.

Can we please see an example of that?

Thanks.