Unlock app with the Beta release

Nabukodonosor

On 3/25/2024 at 9:21 AM, ebr said:

I don't know why it isn't working for you.  The package has not changed.

signde
On 3/25/2024 at 8:21 AM, ebr said:

I don't know why it isn't working for you.  The package has not changed.

are you 100% positive it's not an issue of how they have been signed?

i believe i posted evidence they are in fact signed differently. one suspiciously looks like a developer's daily cert to me while the other looks to be the one intended for use in the app stores. i know i just keep hitting enter when prompted for the org/country/etc when generating my local dev certs.

my understanding is android won't let you install a dev signed apk over top a production store signed apk. 

14 hours ago, signde said:

my understanding is android won't let you install a dev signed apk over top a production store signed apk

We're talking Amazon here not Google so the system is a bit different and I guess it is possible that they are doing something different on their end when we actually submit to the store (Google does as they handle the signing themselves).  But, the very same APK that we post is uploaded to the store.

Nabukodonosor

But I guess since multiple people have the same issue then there is a problem that's needs solving.

4 minutes ago, Nabukodonosor said:

But I guess since multiple people have the same issue then there is a problem that's needs solving.

The APKs are provided for testing purposes for beta releases so this is not a wide-spread issue affecting most people.

ALD76

I can confirm this is not an Emby issue as it happens anytime you try to update a store app by sideloading a Beta release.

signde
7 hours ago, ebr said:

We're talking Amazon here not Google so the system is a bit different and I guess it is possible that they are doing something different on their end when we actually submit to the store (Google does as they handle the signing themselves).  But, the very same APK that we post is uploaded to the store.

in that case it means only emby premier customers can use the google or amazon betas, in which case i think that warrants updating the thread where the beta APKs are posted with that information.

• Like 1

oscarmbv

Hello. I have the same issue, and I'm not trying to install the beta release. I'm trying to install the official version from here: https://emby.media/emby-for-fire-tv.html, which is version 2.1.09 (if I'm not mistaken). The current version from the Amazon Store is 2.0.98a. BTW, why the Amazon store version has not been updated to the last official version?
Thank you.

ALD76
1 hour ago, oscarmbv said:

Hello. I have the same issue, and I'm not trying to install the beta release. I'm trying to install the official version from here: https://emby.media/emby-for-fire-tv.html, which is version 2.1.09 (if I'm not mistaken). The current version from the Amazon Store is 2.0.98a. BTW, why the Amazon store version has not been updated to the last official version?
Thank you.

It is still incompatible with the app store version as Amazon change the signatures.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/app-submission/understanding-submission.html#app_signatures

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nabukodonosor
15 hours ago, ALD76 said:

I can confirm this is not an Emby issue as it happens anytime you try to update a store app by sideloading a Beta release.

Yeah, but that's the only way to do it, since if you first delete the app and install the beta after, you can't unlock the app. It's really a mess.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, signde said:

in that case it means only emby premier customers can use the google or amazon betas,

Google has a beta program delivered via the store.

signde
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Google has a beta program delivered via the store.

i'm aware however i'm referring to the post where you provide APK links.

anyone using those is going to be side loading.

2 hours ago, signde said:

i'm aware however i'm referring to the post where you provide APK links.

anyone using those is going to be side loading.

Right but that is not required for Google so your statement that beta is only available with Premiere on Google (which is what I responded to) is not correct.

signde
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Right but that is not required for Google so your statement that beta is only available with Premiere on Google (which is what I responded to) is not correct.

i've already clarified i was referring to the beta releases from the linked page.

those are provided without context under which they will work, for both platforms, even if you don't have to use it for google.

there should be some kind of sticky note in that thread noting the limitations.

• Like 1