Port forwarding issue: Solved

clarkss12

clarkss12

Disregard, working now.  Guess I did not wait long enough..............

Got a new fiber internet installed and now can't access out of local network.  They used a BGW320 modem/router and I am only using the modem portion.  I am still using my Asus router.  

Perhaps someone on here can tell me how set up the modem port forwarding.  

Emby connect will not work.  

thanks

port forwarding.jpg

port forwarding 2.jpg

port forwarding 2.jpg

Edited by clarkss12
added pic

rbjtech

So what you really want to do is pass everything into your Asus router and just use the AT&T as modem only.    You would normally set the modem to be in 'modem' only mode - and afterwhich, you should not get any options to port forward, no firewall and no NAT etc because that is all effectively disabled.  It passes the raw WAN IP to the Asus as 'input' into it's WAN Port.

The issue with leaving it all enabled, is you'll have a thing called double NAT - which not only slows things down but complicates connectivity.

Maybe take a look at the 'IP Passthough' option above, but I'm not familiar at all with AT&T fiber modems.

You MAY be able to ignore the BGW320 and plug the ONT Ethernet directly into your ASUS - really depends on how the ISP Network is setup. 

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

Q-Droid

Enable IP passthrough.  Unfortunately AT&T doesn't allow connections directly to the ONT, they use 802.1x authentication on their network. Besides, the BGW320 is a fiber gateway with built-in SFP ONT.

If you want to keep your Asus router in place with its Wi-Fi and eliminate double NAT:

- Make absolutely sure your Asus router is the only device connected to the ATT gateway.

- Disable all of the radios on the BGW320.

- Enable IP passthrough.

In the end you want the BGW320 to look like this:

image.png.d6bb8022ede42c14a8d7d0a5d1ed186b.png

image.png.f30e702a1bd2003e5cbec4667abc6c4b.png

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Thanks 1

clarkss12
54 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Enable IP passthrough.  Unfortunately AT&T doesn't allow connections directly to the ONT, they use 802.1x authentication on their network. Besides, the BGW320 is a fiber gateway with built-in SFP ONT.

If you want to keep your Asus router in place with its Wi-Fi and eliminate double NAT:

- Make absolutely sure your Asus router is the only device connected to the ATT gateway.

- Disable all of the radios on the BGW320.

- Enable IP passthrough.

In the end you want the BGW320 to look like this:

image.png.d6bb8022ede42c14a8d7d0a5d1ed186b.png

image.png.f30e702a1bd2003e5cbec4667abc6c4b.png

Ok, I disabled the radios (I think) and enable IP passthrough..  Now I will test.  Do I nee do a restart on the BGW320?  Gonna test now.  

thank you.

wifi.jpg

Ip passthrough.jpg

Q-Droid

Yes, restart the BGW320 then restart your router. Your Asus should then acquire the AT&T WAN IP instead of the LAN IP.

clarkss12

My firewall status is different, and I got a warning on Firewall advanced warning. 

1 minute ago, Q-Droid said:

Yes, restart the BGW320 then restart your router. Your Asus should then acquire the AT&T WAN IP instead of the LAN IP.

Ok

firewall status.jpg

Firewall advanced warning.jpg

Ip passthrough.jpg

wifi.jpg

Q-Droid

You can ignore the warning and go to Packet Filter and hit the Disable button at the top. Leaving anything other than passthrough enabled can make troubleshooting problems harder down the road.

clarkss12

I am not sure what I am missing, but when IP passthrough is enabled, I can connect out of network.  I tried my Android phone with the WiFi turned off and it won't connect.  I tried to connect Emby connect on my PC and it won't connect either...........  

clarkss12
2 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

You can ignore the warning and go to Packet Filter and hit the Disable button at the top. Leaving anything other than passthrough enabled can make troubleshooting problems harder down the road.

Ok, done.

clarkss12
16 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

All of my settings look like yours now........  But NO go..  Do I have to change a setting in my Asus Router??  

Q-Droid

After you restart both the gateway and the router:

Device -> Device List should have your router in the device list with the public IP.

Home Network -> Status should list the passthrough status and IP address.

Home Network -> Wi-Fi should list both radios with N/A channels.

Firewall -> Status and Advanced should match my previous post.

Edited by Q-Droid

clarkss12
8 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

After you restart both the gateway and the router:

Device -> Device List should have your router in the device list with the public IP.

Home Network -> Status should list the passthrough status and IP address.

Home Network -> Wi-Fi should list both radios with N/A channels.

Firewall -> Status and Advanced should match my previous post.

I think the device list is correct.  What does this mean? IPv4 Address / Name192.168.1.64 / passthrough

device list.jpg

Q-Droid

It looks like your router is not pulling the new IP.

Is there a way in your router admin UI to release/renew the WAN IP?

clarkss12
4 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

It looks like your router is not pulling the new IP.

Is there a way in your router admin UI to release/renew the WAN IP?

Do you mean on this screen??  Asus router.

asus router.jpg

Q-Droid

That's normal. When working it will show the same IP for both the gateway and your router.  

clarkss12
1 minute ago, Q-Droid said:

That's normal. When working it will show the same IP for both the gateway and your router.  

So, my Asus router is NOT sending something??   I don't know anything about networking.

clarkss12

Now, it is working on my Android phone with the WiFi turned off.  Does that mean it is working??  Now I am going to test Emby connect on my PC.

It still won't connect with Emby connect on my PC.  

I will be going to my nephews in the next day or two to get Emby working on his ONN Android TV box..... If it works on my Cellular phone, will it work on his box??  It will be all internet based, no local.

Edited by clarkss12

Q-Droid
3 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

So, my Asus router is NOT sending something??   I don't know anything about networking.

Your Asus router should be requesting an IP address from the ATT gateway and when it does the gateway will give it the WAN IP. So manually releasing and renewing the IP address from the router would do the same thing.

If your phone is going through the cellular network and connecting then it's closer to working but it would be good to have confirmation from both the ATT gateway and Asus router status screens.

Is there an internet status map or something like it on the Asus UI? I think there might be a toggle for the WAN that also does a release/renew.

Q-Droid

Let's backup a little.

Everything internally on your LAN (Asus router inward) is the same as before? Emby server IP, PC, Asus router port forwarding, etc. hasn't changed?

Is the only difference a transition to a different ISP? Did you have a plain modem with the Asus router connected to that?

Did you make any other changes to the Asus before or during the transition to the new ISP?

clarkss12
8 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Your Asus router should be requesting an IP address from the ATT gateway and when it does the gateway will give it the WAN IP. So manually releasing and renewing the IP address from the router would do the same thing.

If your phone is going through the cellular network and connecting then it's closer to working but it would be good to have confirmation from both the ATT gateway and Asus router status screens.

Is there an internet status map or something like it on the Asus UI? I think there might be a toggle for the WAN that also does a release/renew.

internet status.jpg

clarkss12
2 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Let's backup a little.

Everything internally on your LAN (Asus router inward) is the same as before? Emby server IP, PC, Asus router port forwarding, etc. hasn't changed?

Nothing changed with my Asus router.  All I did was add the AT&T modem/router

Is the only difference a transition to a different ISP? Did you have a plain modem with the Asus router connected to that?

Yes, I had my own router, which is not removed and put in closet.  My Asus router plugged into that modem.

Did you make any other changes to the Asus before or during the transition to the new ISP?

No changes at all.

I really, really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.........

Q-Droid

Can you click on the Internet Status image. I can't tell if that rectangle is also a button.

Also, you can DM some of these if they have sensitive or personal info.

clarkss12

I think this what you are talking about,  They both are using 192.168.10.64, so they match...

AT&T address.jpg

Asus IP.jpg

clarkss12
3 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Can you click on the Internet Status image. I can't tell if that rectangle is also a button.

Also, you can DM some of these if they have sensitive or personal info.

Is this what you are looking for?

internet status.jpg