My Media - Categories drop shadow changed to transparency after 4.8

polaris70
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

polaris70

Hi,

After upgrading to version 4.8, all of the My Media category images changed to have transparency shadows instead of the black shadows in the old version. Is it possible to bring back the black shadows? They do not complement the aesthetics of Apple TV and do not match the Live TV interface if I want to add Live TV to the home screen. Please see the attached photo. Thank you in advance.

emby My Media.jpg

• Agree 1

SamES

Probably not the answer you want, but what do they look like on the server with a light theme?

HI, these are actually part of the generated image so I guess we'd have to add an option to control it.

SamES
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, these are actually part of the generated image so I guess we'd have to add an option to control it.

The transparency is, although we can change the backfill color.  But do we want to do that, and if so, in which cases - only media items?

image.png.e721bd51ec5c4785ac6e43601baeeb7b.png

SamES

I actually think the darker back fill looks better everywhere, regardless of theme, especially when you have posters next to 4:3 content.  Currently it matches the web app, but how far do you go....

This looks weird.  The left and right are images with black bars

image.thumb.png.65575e5128c41f123da5a97729653ef3.png

Black all around looks more pleasing and natural

image.thumb.png.ffc482b5a4ae512d8a7bad2ea37ef18c.png

image.thumb.png.93de87033d4fdca503534661ff9d8cec.png

7 minutes ago, SamES said:

The transparency is, although we can change the backfill color.  But do we want to do that, and if so, in which cases - only media items?

OK I see what you mean. @polaris70how does the light theme of the web app compare?

polaris70

Luke, please bring back the black transparency (old version) , not clear transparency (new version) 

polaris70

Attached is you can see, not matching with Live TV on Apple TV or light theme.

2024-02-14 23.33.05 100.94.231.41 9103019c3112.jpg

SamES
1 hour ago, polaris70 said:

That's been fixed in the next update, but it  makes it light like the others

polaris70

Thanks, SamEs. So, what you're saying is that you can't change anything else except for Live TV? It would be better to keep the black transparency shadow as before; it makes the category images stand out more compared to the clear transparency. I understand that changing the GUI of the home screen is a personal preference for each user, but having an option for it would be beneficial, considering that each user has a different theme on the web app and on different devices.

Thank you all for the quick response and help.

polaris70
7 hours ago, SamES said:

I am not quite sure what 'the backfill color' is, but I want to keep the black drop shadow with the reflection, like the media collections you posted above. I hope you understand what I would like.

• Solution
SamES
1 hour ago, polaris70 said:

Thanks, SamEs. So, what you're saying is that you can't change anything else except for Live TV? It would be better to keep the black transparency shadow as before; it makes the category images stand out more compared to the clear transparency. I understand that changing the GUI of the home screen is a personal preference for each user, but having an option for it would be beneficial, considering that each user has a different theme on the web app and on different devices.

Thank you all for the quick response and help.

I can change them all, previously the Live TV missed the change from dark to light.  That's why it is now light like the other tiles.

Yes, I understand what you want.  I think the dark back color looks best regardless of the theme color, but currently it matches the web app.  I can change it, but it depends on whether Luke is happy for this change or wants to keep it like the web app

polaris70

Thanks, SamES, for the fast response. I appreciate what you will do for me and what you did for Emby's users. The light shadows version doesn't look bad on the black or dark theme. As an Apple TV 4K user, I prefer using the light theme over black, as the media images don't stand out much. I don't use the web app.

• 3 weeks later...
polaris70
On 2/15/2024 at 7:39 AM, SamES said:

I can change them all, previously the Live TV missed the change from dark to light.  That's why it is now light like the other tiles.

Yes, I understand what you want.  I think the dark back color looks best regardless of the theme color, but currently it matches the web app.  I can change it, but it depends on whether Luke is happy for this change or wants to keep it like the web app

Any update?

Hi, we're looking into it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
polaris70

any update again? the new shadow version still does not match with Live TV. If you cannot do it. How to remove the Live TV in My Media Menu.

Hi, what version of Emby for Apple TV are you on now?

polaris70
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what version of Emby for Apple TV are you on now?

Luke, the version of Emby for Apple TV is 1.8.5 (1). Thank you.

• Thanks 1

SamES
On 15/02/2024 at 15:34, polaris70 said:

2024-02-14 23.33.05 100.94.231.41 9103019c3112.jpg

I'm not actually sure how you have this image on Live TV.  Unless I manually add an image, all I get is a standard placeholder for LiveTV.

image.png.9a90f19115af01a3f88cd79894998403.png

polaris70
2 hours ago, SamES said:

I'm not actually sure how you have this image on Live TV.  Unless I manually add an image, all I get is a standard placeholder for LiveTV.

image.png.9a90f19115af01a3f88cd79894998403.png

SamEs, it not relate to the image, even customize or generate by Emby. the problem is the drop shadow not matching when Emby updated to 4.8.

SamES
16 minutes ago, polaris70 said:

SamEs, it not relate to the image, even customize or generate by Emby. the problem is the drop shadow not matching when Emby updated to 4.8.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you please post new images of the web app and the ATV app showing the difference you are referring to?

polaris70

will do it again when I get back home this evening. Thanks.