Cloudflare tunnel & emby connect

markpeo
Go to solution Solved by markpeo,

markpeo

Hi,

I have read through lots of posts here, on reddit & unraid forums but just cannot find a way to resolve my issue.

In a nutshell, I have a cloudflare tunnel that points to my emby server. (unraid server, official Emby docker, and Unraid-Cloudefared-Tunnel docker.) 

Using https://subdomain.mydomain.com (the same remote address url that is displayed on my server dashboard) in a web browser from anywhere outside of my LAN network, on any device, works perfectly. 

I cannot login using the android app or via app.emby.media. When I log into emby connect, the server is not shown.

If I manually add the server, I get an "Unable to reach server" message.

I use port 443 as the port when manually adding the server.

I previously had a reverse proxy setup, using a domain name (it was different to the one I am using now) and using port 443 when adding a server manually allowed me to connect from outside my LAN. The server also showed up when I signed in with emby connect. SWAG docker is now not running and port forwarding has been removed from my router (pfSense)

Edited by markpeo
missing info

KegTapper

I setup cloudflare per sticky instructions. I just checked,  app.emby.media manual login as well as emby connect work fine through my cloudflare tunnel. 

• Thanks 1

markpeo

Thanks Luke, Yes I did read that guide/topic and couldnt find anything that related to my issue.

Thanks @KegTappergood to know that it works. I'll keep checking and trying some things.

I think my cloudfare setup is all good, because like I said, I can access via a web browser (direct to my https domain name and it works perfectly!

Im wondering what the android app does differently to a web browser to connect?

markpeo

Yep, i linked it and it shows when I login with emby connect, but only shows the LAN address and so it does not connect when im outside of the LAN

image.png.3fee96e6a1f0c8bbc8b4a52a2765898c.png

Just now, markpeo said:

Yep, i linked it and it shows when I login with emby connect, but only shows the LAN address and so it does not connect when im outside of the LAN

image.png.3fee96e6a1f0c8bbc8b4a52a2765898c.png

Nothing wrong with the fact that it's showing that address. That is just indicating the most recent one used.

• Like 1

markpeo

ok thanks. So when i click it, i just get a message that's its unable to reach the server.

I'll keep trying 🙂

darkassassin07

A couple settings to check:

Public https port number: 443

External Domain: <your domain>

Secure Connection Mode: <anything except 'disabled'>

Restart the server and ensure 'Remote (WAN) access:' on the dashboard is correct: "https://<yourdomain>" (:443 may or may not be displayed in the end, it's not shown for me anymore in server v4.8)

markpeo

HI, thanks for the checklist.

public port number is 443, external domain is set and secure connection mode is set to 'handled by reverse proxy'

:443 does not show at the end, but clicking the external domain link works, so i dont htink its an issue with my remote access setup.

image.png.86877b00a4f559acb805d20eb3a26d5c.png

darkassassin07

The only other thing I'd suggest is removing the server from connect and re-adding it, now that you've ensured the remote access settings are correct.

If that still doesn't work, I'd be inclined to think there's a bug with connect not receiving the correct connection info.

markpeo

unfortunately, that didn't work, same results as earlier - Unable to reach server message

• Solution
markpeo

OK, looks like I found the issue. Without realising it, I had 'Under attack mode' turned on in cloudflare.

I changed it to 'High' level security setting, and now I can connect using the android app & emby connect!

So, I guess the app and connect cant beat the interstitial page, but a web browser obviously does.

Thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated.

image.png.e0925175ffc9eb2b02272c839f044392.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

@markpeoHi, I am looking to go down the cloudfare route as I am using a 5G router and Vodafone do not allow port forwarding, can I ask what your overall experience is please? any problems?

Thank you!

Hi, @mbc0

Experience with CloudFlare tunnel has been great! I only really use it for audio, but have done some testing with video and didn't find any difference between having ports directly open or using a reverse proxy set-up. 

Edited by markpeo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, markpeo said:

Hi, @mbc0

Experience with CloudFlare tunnel has been great! I only really use it for audio, but have done some testing with video and didn't find any difference between having ports directly open or using a reverse proxy set-up. 

Thank you for the reply! Would love to know if anyone is using this for video?

1 hour ago, KegTapper said:

I use it for video. I have no problems 

Thanks for the comment, did you set it up like in this guide? I hear talk of disabling cache for video, can I ask how you did it?

Sorry for late response. I already had cloudflare set up as per the sticky instructions as well as caddy. I moved and only isp option was cgnat over wisp. So, I quickly spun up a CF tunnel. I couldn't believe how easy it was. It's been running for close to two years now without any problems.

• Thanks 1