iPad Playback Error

Misinthe
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Misinthe

Hello, I had a thread about this a while back but we never figure anything out. I'm habing an issue where my son was watching fine all day outside the house, now that he's back in, he keeps getting Playback Error - No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details. When he got it, it was only me watching on my PC and no one else, I've attached the server Logs, Hardware Detection logs, and MediaInfo of the media file he's trying to open.

I'm running Emby Server 4.8.1.0 on Windows Server 2022 with Emby Premiere (Status: You have a Lifetime Emby Premiere plan and your device usage is well within your limit). The iPad is running Emby for iOS 2.2.17.

If you need anything else please let me know! Thank you for your help.

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63843446736.txt MediaInfo Pac-Man - S02E08 - Pac-a-Thon.txt

• Solution

Hi, can you please attach the ffmpeg log as well? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Misinthe
On 14/02/2024 at 16:46, Luke said:

Hi, can you please attach the ffmpeg log as well? Thanks.

I saw this too late and it's not having the issue anymore, I'll try to grab everything next time.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
curtis03

I'm having the exact same scenario, son's iPad suddenly started having issues (same warning msg "No compatible streams") less than a month ago (maybe 3/17?). Interestingly its only for certain videos. There are no ffmpeg logs, as it never actually plays the video, just error and skip to next episode, error, next, etc. I updated the iOS to the newest version and still didn't work.

Interestingly, my android phone was giving the same issue when my son discovered the problem (I just thought it was the Internet at the house, as we were away from home). But when I was on the home wifi it worked fine. After a bit back and forth it started working on my phone remotely again, but not for the iPad. Server is a Windows 10 box and it didn't seem to do any update restarts. I've restarted the emby server to no avail. The iPad is the only one giving issues.

So here are the EMby server logs for today. I've only played a couple songs and attempted the videos I know give the error.

embyserver.txt

Edited by curtis03

visproduction

Open subtitles error 2 times a second.  iPad security perhaps is blocking the 3rd party plugin from working?

2024-04-02 08:29:52.101 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.com/api/v1/login
2024-04-02 08:29:52.288 Error SubtitleManager: Error searching for subtitles on Open Subtitles
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\JC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045

curtis03
1 hour ago, visproduction said:

Open subtitles error 2 times a second.  iPad security perhaps is blocking the 3rd party plugin from working?

2024-04-02 08:29:52.101 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.com/api/v1/login
2024-04-02 08:29:52.288 Error SubtitleManager: Error searching for subtitles on Open Subtitles
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\JC\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19045

That was simply because I hadn't transferred my account to the new OpenSub account. I got my account working just now and it didn't resolve the issue. Shouldn't be the problem, as subs were off on the test videos anyways.

I believe I saw there was an old similar issue and one person said it might have been related to a AAS subs, but that shouldn't be the case here, as that was fixed over a year ago I think. These shows were working fine before, and there are no external subs being used/added.

I'm not seeing an option on the iPad to allow certain permissions/actions.

Edited by curtis03

curtis03
1 hour ago, visproduction said:

Not the first link. Second one possibly. I already tried reinstalling the app with no luck. iOS and Emby app, and server are all up-to-date.

I did some quick mass sampling of various shows (maybe 30?). Other than a couple, all of the working ones didn't have subs (~10), where all the failed ones ones had subs (~20), other than one, possibly an old encoding oddity. So I do think there is a correlation of some kind, despite the outliers.

Another possibility, is the iPad is trying to force direct streaming or some kind of local codec decline/issue. As I notice many of the playing videos are direct play only, not decoding locally. some of the playing videos also show a "Recovering from playback error" on the dashboard. Is the iPad trying to force only streaming play of codecs it decided it wants to play, and declines video sessions for codecs it doesn't have. Did Apple depreciate some codecs from their devices? As I think I noticed a while back that it was odd that some videos were not buffering, only streaming, which was an issue when in low cell service areas.

I included one of the play episodes that had that playback error, but was working. Looks like some interesting results that might line up with my suspicions, as its a low intensity video, but doesn't want to do it in hardware.

ffmpeg-directstream-b99e4257-6313-4d04-b668-3d3e750f631d_1.txt

• 2 weeks later...
curtis03

NVM its suddenly work?! Not sure whats changed, as its not used much otherwise.

• Thanks 1