Testing disagree icon

Abobader

darkassassin07
33 minutes ago, softworkz said:

IMO, any outcome, where "facepalm" wouldn't remain to be the strongest negative reaction would mean a failure of this experiment.

I this this is still the case with the current setup.

'disagree' is just getting used a lot compared to the other options because you've finally provided a form of negative reaction that doesn't come off as just insulting.

I think you're over thinking the colours...

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
53 minutes ago, softworkz said:

I think the current color is very wrong, because it has turned out that it is not being perceived or used in the way that it intended. It wasn't intended to introduce a reaction that would be "more negative" than "Face Palm".

It's not meant for "denouncing" or "branding" posts in a negative way. And it appears that users started to using it as such, which means that the countdown for a full removal of this reaction has started running already.

We'll agree to disagree. Haven't notice any particular misuse except ppl expressing their disagreement in a much more appropriate way than Facepalm, which they didn't have before. Humans are emotional beings - sometimes there'll be sentiments involved, sometimes it'll be plain factual observation. A post can be reasonable, concise and sensible - and not warrant Facepalm by any means - yet still can provoke (strong) disagreement, and there needs to be a way to express that. 

48 minutes ago, softworkz said:

PS: I knew that your concern wasn't about color similarity to "like". I posted the other variations to make you say it :D 

:D

41 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Bottom line is: It's NOT meant to be a strong reaction!

So far, I think we failed to convey this. My original color choice was not thought out well and the ordering wasn't ideal either.

I reckon placement had a lot more to do with it than actual color. For that matter,  we are all interpreting those reactions and their meanings in our own way.

Edited by GrimReaper

7 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:
47 minutes ago, softworkz said:

IMO, any outcome, where "facepalm" wouldn't remain to be the strongest negative reaction would mean a failure of this experiment.

I this this is still the case with the current setup.

The responses here have already proven just the opposite:

• For @roaku it appeared to him that the buttons are ordered "by sentiment", with -1 being the strongest
  • He hesitated to use the -1 button and instead responded "I disagree"
  • @GrimReapertalked about "strong reaction" in this context
  • He prefers to have strong contrast in color (like now) to achieve an accordingly strong appearance 

And that's the opposite of what was intended and exactly what we wanted to avoid.

• Agree 1

roaku
4 minutes ago, softworkz said:

The responses here have already proven just the opposite:

• For @roaku it appeared to him that the buttons are ordered "by sentiment", with -1 being the strongest
  • He hesitated to use the -1 button and instead responded "I disagree"
  • @GrimReapertalked about "strong reaction" in this context
  • He prefers to have strong contrast in color (like now) to achieve an accordingly strong appearance 

And that's the opposite of what was intended and exactly what we wanted to avoid.

Please stop using your interpretation of what I said as 'evidence' for what you want done.

I've already used both the phrase 'I disagree', the disagree reaction, *and* a verbal clarification of what I meant, when I saw that the first two weren't enough.

I'm not sure what else is left to try.

Edited by roaku

Let me say it without citing or "interpreting" others: The intention for this is that it should appear as a nice-and-friendly disagreement and in this regard I have to reckon that:

• It doesn't look nice-and-friendly when seeing it in action (=> my very own fault)
  • It  is rarely being used as that. It is rather used in a "omg what stupid nonsense" manner, because people think that it's stronger than facepalm
    The only "normal" use I've seen so far is @GrimReaper's -1 to my color proposals - that's what it's intended for, but the color makes it appear as something different - which I realize now. It stands out way too much.
    Being critical about ones own actions is a important to achieve good results and I have no issues in admitting when it happens.  
Edited by softworkz

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

It doesn't look nice-and-friendly when seeing it in action (=> my very own fault)

Not. There were several of us there when colors were discussed, and some hue of reddish-brown range was in all of our minds as it is natural association, nothing wrong there.

It  is rarely being used as that. It is rather used in a "omg what stupid nonsense" manner

I'll only say: "At long last a way to say exactly that". Besides, it's used just as much for plain disagreement, that's just a side-effect.

Being critical about ones own actions is a important to achieve good results and I have no issues in admitting when it happens.  

Sure, but as said: it ain't only your fault.

P.S. If it were up to me, it'd be brightest reddest red shade possible. :D

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Haha 1

darkassassin07
10 minutes ago, softworkz said:

• It  is rarely being used as that. It is rather used in a "omg what stupid nonsense" manner, because people think that it's stronger than facepalm

This is very much your own interpretation.

I see the opposite.

I've used the disagree reaction quite a bit since it's addition, for exactly as it's titled: "I disagree with what you are saying".

I often want to express that without writing out another comment that essentially just says exactly that.

Previously I've just not reacted/commented at all because I find facepalm to be much more akin to 'you're an idiot' and there wasn't other options.

I do agree it should be ordered after the emoji reactions next to +1.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

There were several of us there when colors were discussed, and some hue of reddish-brown range was in all of our minds

I provided three variants which were all in the same color range. Could have included a cyan/blue one. When seeing it now, it would have been my favorite in the first place, but I didn't think that far. I had thought that it should be a kind of complementary color but nothing too indicative like in the area of intense reds.

It didn't come to my mind that a color tone that is rather close to the +1 icon would help to prevent it's use as a negative branding sign.

18 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Sure, but as said: it ain't only your fault.

Okay, let's change the story: It was your fault!

The first one I had was this:

image.png.0447ecee9d84e3c78b88388e8b8ac714.png image.png.df6c7c1206d1c0ff641e282ce89ef340.png

And then you talked it to become darker and darder...LOL :D 

After all, it doesn't matter whose fault it was. Its appearance is just too strong like it is now - at least that's how I see it.

But let's see what @Abobader says and maybe @ebrmight want to share his view as well..

• Haha 1

Good day,

You all have good point, so now my view what the disagree icon should be, this is a testing, so let me know:

disagree test.jpg

Yes the order here not to attack the other, simply to disagree, and the color indeed show that.

My best

• Like 2

While it is visually not overly appealing, it still much better than the strong brown one.

Edited by softworkz
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, softworkz said:

While it is visually not overly appealing

Yes (as I always knew you will say that) :)

Can you do more colors test (when you have time) within the one I edit already.

Also we need another icon, some kind of star, that indicated better than (agree one and thanks).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Abobader said:

Yes (as I always knew you will say that) :)

Well - grey is grey. But what matters most is that "facepalm" is back to make a stronger appearance when viewed next to each other:

image.png.e8052088bbd95b55bcb8bd1107a5f0b2.png

2 minutes ago, Abobader said:

Can you do more colors test (when you have time) within the one I edit already.

Sure, but what to you mean by "within the one"?

Also we need another icon, some kind of star, that indicated better than (agree one and thanks).

Yea, I'll make a few suggestions.

The start icon will indicate like "vote" one.

Isn't +1 and -1 perfekt for voting already?

The disagree grey one (just to compare the level grey color).

3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Yea, I'll make a few suggestions.

Thanks buddy.

Isn't +1 and -1 perfekt for voting already?

To my point of view, it's not, as someone suggest a very good one, it new within that topic or suggestion, then it a star.

• Like 1

Just now, softworkz said:

Also...

image.png.62a5b3b65fe415b1e44f58e8173b4599.png

...hehe.

LOL

I knew it! Please make one one with your PS :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abobader said:
9 minutes ago, softworkz said:

The disagree grey one (just to compare the level grey color).

So you want 50 shades of grey, no color, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, softworkz said:

So you want 50 shades of grey, no color, right?

Correct.

• Thanks 1

Here you go:

image.png.17d0a156c5d585d24bf71253f50f47b0.png image.png.df6c7c1206d1c0ff641e282ce89ef340.png
image.png.2992b7f2e5bcd0f1c8f64e3410b238fa.png image.png.df6c7c1206d1c0ff641e282ce89ef340.png
image.png.289c43fc98a69482b8960d2379438f0e.png image.png.df6c7c1206d1c0ff641e282ce89ef340.png
image.png.d1ee28dd113d9ee4537366d476736fb7.png image.png.df6c7c1206d1c0ff641e282ce89ef340.png
image.png.5da57f564fee84c9d098daf53d6f2bcb.png image.png.df6c7c1206d1c0ff641e282ce89ef340.png
image.png.e67d3d2f5c1614e805e9eca1a3e155f9.png  

When going darker, it gets too strong and when going lighter the white text wouldn't have sufficient contrast to the background.

Edited by softworkz
  • Thanks 1

user24

Suggest trying 50% grey level, e.g.:

Hex #7f7f7f

Should work well on both white and black backgrounds, although there will be an optical illusion effect.

(Apologies to all the color blind people.)

• Like 1

1st, 2nd and 4th are slightly toned to avoid a too dirty grey appearance.

Designing for dark themes doesn't mean that it's just an inversion of the light theme colors, there's no symmetry in lightness values as that wouldn't look well.

• Like 1