Issue with 4.8.1.0-724080100 update

Bobby121418

Bobby121418

Hi,

I just updated to Emby 4.8.1.0-724080100 on my Synology NAS running on x64 and now the app starts but immediately stops. I tried uninstall and reinstall but the result is the same. 

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Hi, are you sure it actually stops, or is it just taking a long time to load? If it's loading then I would just give it time to perform the 4.7 to 4.8 database upgrade.

Bobby121418

I am afraid so. I have tried to run and then it says it was manually stopped. See attached picture. It has been stopped for almost 24hrs and I just tried to restart and the same happens.

Thanks

Screenshot_20240210-232125_Chrome.jpg

Bobby121418

It seems Synology is worse off than other platforms.

I uninstalled the server, rebooted NAS and reinstalled but did not resolve :(

OK if you're going the route of reinstalling, then make sure to delete this folder manually:

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var

That will give you a fresh start. You can locate this folder by following the instructions here:

Emby Server Data Folder

Bobby121418

Thanks for coming back to me on this Luke.

I deleted the folder while Emby is installed, it then requires a reinstall. After installing again, I get the same issue.

Any other suggestions please?

53 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Thanks for coming back to me on this Luke.

I deleted the folder while Emby is installed, it then requires a reinstall. After installing again, I get the same issue.

Any other suggestions please?

Hi can you please attach the emby server log?

Thanks.

Bobby121418

The lack of response and solutions to this problem is very disappointing, especially given this is an issue caused by your latest update!

Experts from Emby used to respond quite fast to previous issues in the past, even issues which were not server uptime impacting, so I really wonder if this issue is a real headscratcher for you or what??

I have sent logs on two ocassions now and I have had no suggestions on what to do to resolve this, so, I would really appreciate a followup!

Thanks

Bobby121418

I have an xpenology DS3622xs+ currently on  DSM 7.2.1-69057. There is now an update 4 available, however, I very much doubt this is the reason for Emby not starting up.

Thanks

I'm seeing both 192 & 10 x addresses in your log file and the gateway address doesn't look like an ISP gateway, but instead a home router.

Do you by any chance have 2 routers inline with each other or are you using the DS as a such?

Thanks,
Carlo

Bobby121418

Hi Carlo,

I have recently installed VPN server on Synology to tunnel to local LAN. I also have a second router, but it is on a separate subnet (x.y.1.1) from the main ISP router and has not caused any issues for a long time. The NAS is on ISP subnet x.y.0.1.

Thanks

Without mentioning any public IP address ranges can you elaborate a bit more on your internal setup?

What is the router attached to your ISP?
Is it using DHCP to assign internal IPs?
hat internal IP and Gateway is it giving out?

What is the other router you mentioned?
Is it using DHCP to assign internal IPs?
Does it plug directly into the top-level router above?
What IP does it have on the WAN side?
What IP does it use on the LAN side and what gateway IP is it giving out?

Which router is your Synology connected to (Assuming the first)?
What IP is assigned to the Synology?
Is this IP address given out by DHCP or is it setup as static in the router or Synology itself?
If in Synology, is it using an IP address outside the DHCP pool?

What type of VPN did you install on the Synology?
What provider did you use, or did you punch a hole in your firewall to port forward outside traffic to the VPN server?

Without knowing the answers to the above questions it's hard to ask specific questions about Emby Server itself so I'll come back to that.
But for now, what IP(s) and Port Numbers does the Emby Dashboard show?  If any of the IPs is public don't provide it specifically, but just mention a public IP is showing (for now).

When you try to connect to Emby Server using IP & port, from your own LAN does it work or not?
What router is the device/computer doing the testing connected to?

Thanks,
Carlo

Bobby121418

Hi Carlo,

So please see answers in line below:

Without mentioning any public IP address ranges can you elaborate a bit more on your internal setup?

What is the router attached to your ISP?

Router 1= Subnet 192.168.0.1 

it using DHCP to assign internal IPs? Yes
hat internal IP and Gateway is it giving out?

What is the other router you mentioned?

Router 2= A Netgear
Is it using DHCP to assign internal IPs? Yes, but it is a different subnet to router 1

Does it plug directly into the top-level router above?

Configured on Router 1's subnet with static IP 192.168.0.99

What IP does it have on the WAN side? the LAN cable from router 1 is connected to WAN port of router 2. IP X.Y.0.99

What IP does it use on the LAN side and what gateway IP is it giving out?

Which router is your Synology connected to (Assuming the first)? ROUTER 1

What IP is assigned to the Synology?

Static 192.168.0.27

his IP address given out by DHCP or is it setup as static in the router or Synology itself? static

If in Synology, is it using an IP address outside the DHCP pool? Not sure what you mean here

The Synology is on a static IP address from router 1

What type of VPN did you install on the Synology?

openvpn using Synology VPN Server application

What provider did you use, or did you punch a hole in your firewall to port forward outside traffic to the VPN server?

This what I followed:

https://mattkomarnicki.com/articles/synology-nas-access-lan-from-anywhere-with-openvpn-server

Without knowing the answers to the above questions it's hard to ask specific questions about Emby Server itself so I'll come back to that.
But for now, what IP(s) and Port Numbers does the Emby Dashboard show?

so at the moment I have no access to the Dashboard.

If any of the IPs is public don't provide it specifically, but just mention a public IP is showing (for now).

When you try to connect to Emby Server using IP & port, from your own LAN does it work or not?

Yes jt has worked fine for over two years through my DDNS.

What router is the device/computer doing the testing connected to?

Not sure what you mean. I use PC to connect to Synology desktop.

Hope these answers help. But just to say, all has been well until the recent Server update.

Thanks

Bobby121418
On 2/16/2024 at 2:51 PM, Carlo said:

I'm seeing both 192 & 10 x addresses in your log file and the gateway address doesn't look like an ISP gateway, but instead a home router.

Do you by any chance have 2 routers inline with each other or are you using the DS as a such?

Thanks,
Carlo

From what I understand, it is the openVPN that uses 10 x addresses.

Question, does this cause some conflict to Emby? @Carlo

Just now, Bobby121418 said:

Hello, 

Is there plan for new version release?

Thanks

HI, as soon as it's ready. We're working hard on it.

Bobby121418
1 minute ago, Luke said:

HI, as soon as it's ready. We're working hard on it.

Thanks for prompt response Luke.

I know you are, but really hope my issue is understood by the team and it gets resolved.

Really looking forward to getting Emby working again.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Bobby121418 said:

Thanks for prompt response Luke.

I know you are, but really hope my issue is understood by the team and it gets resolved.

Really looking forward to getting Emby working again.

Cheers

If you're willing to make a fresh start you could try that.