Restore the “connection without passwords on the local network” functi

odeuxcool
Go to solution Solved by odeuxcool,

odeuxcool

Hello everyone !

Since version 4.8.0.80, a function that is very important for my use has literally disappeared without warning from the user profile, "password" tab:

Allow login without passwords from local network (or something like that)

It's a horror! my 5 year old daughter has to enter a useless pin code every time she wants to use Emby!
This is completely stupid, no kidding!

Can you explain why such a stupid thing was done?
When a function exists, the least you can do is not remove it! It's pure and simple regression.

Can you bring this feature back into service in the next version please?

I invite everyone who is bothered to vote with a like please!

darkassassin07

No, she doesn't have to enter a pin every time.

Setup an account for her, set a password. You can also set a pin if you'd like, but it's not necessary.

Login to that account checking the 'remember me' box. If you have a pin set, click 'no' when asked if you'd like to use it with this device.

She can now switch to that account on that device whenever she likes, without entering a pin or password.

The account will be remembered until you explicitly click 'sign out'.

Optionally you can give her the password to be able to log herself into new devices. And/Or you can add a pin+click 'yes' when asked so others can't switch to her user.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

rbjtech

tbh - I think we need a proper blog or wiki entry on this topic.

For a user not needing a password on 4.7, to this change in 4.8 (first impressions out the box) - the users just need a little guidance on how to go back to the way they were with minimal fuss, (but with the actual reason for the change is working for them behind the scenes - they probably really don't care about why it was done... )

• Solution
odeuxcool

That's it, I get it and frankly, it really sucks.

How it works :

on the device you are on, you must choose in the settings (toothed wheel) then "start" put the option on "show the connection screen" in order to be able to uncheck the "request password" box

Frankly, it’s really not an evolution!

Edited by odeuxcool
  • Like 1

rbjtech

Possibly.

The user experience on the 4.8 beta and 4.8 Release on all my shared AndroidTV devices is functionally identical to how it was on 4.7

On the main devices, it shows the users smiling happy faces when the app is run, they select themselves, hit enter and start watching.   When they are done, they turn off the device/app.  When the device/app is  loaded again, they are presented with themselves again.     Do not log out the users, or you'll need to put the password back in again for that user.

If they want to be able to login to a NEW device, they need to put a one-time password in and select 'remember me'.

That's it ..

PIN's are ONLY needed if you wish to further protect an account from being 'switched to' - ie adult vs child scenerio - or shared web browser where one user is an admin etc.

I really don't see an issue with how it works BUT I do understand some clients have not yet received the necessary updates - this needs to be sorted asap - and frankly, should have been done before releasing this Auth change.. but we are where we are.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

OSBuckeyes4Life

On Apple TV, in the settings, their is no setting for that.  I agree this is a step backwards and frankly ticking off a lot of people.  So how can I fix that if the setting does not exist?  Adding a PIN does not allow for login ether.  The pin doesn't work on Apple TV.  Remember me "Yes", remembers the user but their is no "Request Password Box".  Add that to the list, and frankly it's said that Apple TV is the best device to use for Emby, yet that one wasn't updated first?  I don't always test my code, but when I do it's in Production!

Edited by OSBuckeyes4Life
Adding More Info

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, OSBuckeyes4Life said:

and frankly it's said that Apple TV is the best device to use for Emby..

No idea where that came from, but it most certainly isn't .. 🤔 it has many limitations vs other clients such as Android/AndroidTV ..

OSBuckeyes4Life

Oh, my apologies if I am incorrect @rbjtech, Seems like every time I google it, Apple TV4K seems to always come up.  My apologies for being incorrect.  I did test my Sony OLED (Android) and I do see the options there.

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, OSBuckeyes4Life said:

Oh, my apologies if I am incorrect @rbjtech, Seems like every time I google it, Apple TV4K seems to always come up.  My apologies for being incorrect.  I did test my Sony OLED (Android) and I do see the options there.

No need to apologise ;)  I was just advising you that there are better options out there.  It's by no means 'bad' but it cannot play many formats without the need for 3rd party services.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

odeuxcool

Good,

The next step is to make clean, solid documentation for this feature with a hyperlink from emby's user profile settings so you don't have to search.

You guys overall are doing a great job, but please don't make this kind of joke anymore!

The next step in security options is MFA integration with Google Authenticator! It’s time to do something serious about this! (and I'm not talking about a random password). I'm not interested in this feature)