Music shuffle broken with server 4.8

viking19
Go to solution Solved by viking19,

viking19

Music playback on built in AndroidTV (Hisense U6H) is broken with the new server 4.8 update (imagine getting a call from your mom saying she can't play music any more). To test I created a new Emby 4.8 install with a modest library(see pic). Navigating the server is noticeably slower as is playback on the browser but it does work vs 4.7.14. I opened E4ATV and noticed the album art does not show up(see pic), then selecting a small genre and selecting shuffle will eventually(slow) start playing but a larger genre(see pic) will error out with "Cannot play this item at this time"(see pic). After this error the server browser window is blank(see pic), then shutting down the server leaves the process still running at a high CPU usage(see pic) and will not end on it's own. After ending the process, then restarting the server, the library shows again. None of this happens with server 4.7.14.

With server 4.8 I also tried the latest E4ATV beta v2.1.00g with the same outcome. However, side-loading the mobile app beta v3.3.64 works correctly, although it is still slower to start playing. I also tried with my phone on v3.3.56 and it also played correctly.

I enabled debug in E4ATV for the logs but I really don't know what that does.

1 Server start.jpg

2 E4ATV album art missing.jpg

3 E4ATV error after shuffle.jpg

4 Server after error.jpg

5 Server process still running after shutdown high CPU.jpg

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63842728311.txt

The views in the two apps are different.  Are you sure your server has completely finished its initial scan?

Also that server log appears to be just a quick startup and shutdown with no real activity in it.

However, I just tried to test this (shuffle play a genre of music) and it appears to have brought my server to its knees. It now will not respond at all.

viking19
4 hours ago, ebr said:

The views in the two apps are different.  Are you sure your server has completely finished its initial scan?

Yes, fully scanned new Emby install. The first picture is just showing the server and that the album art does indeed exist, and what it looks like before attempting to play music on E4ATV. The next two are the app on the TV without album art loading and the last is what the server looks like after trying to play from the app.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Also that server log appears to be just a quick startup and shutdown with no real activity in it.

However, I just tried to test this (shuffle play a genre of music) and it appears to have brought my server to its knees. It now will not respond at all.

That is the entire log after trying to play music from E4ATV, I know it's basically empty but that's all there is.

Yup, the TV app and the server become unresponsive. If you close the server do you get the stuck process and high cpu?

Ending the process then restarting the server will bring everything back.

Edited by viking19
more info

13 hours ago, viking19 said:

That is the entire log after trying to play music from E4ATV, I know it's basically empty but that's all there is.

Yup, the TV app and the server become unresponsive. If you close the server do you get the stuck process and high cpu?

Ending the process then restarting the server will bring everything back.

Yep, I'm finding I have to actually kill the process with task manager after attempting that playback.

@viking19can you please temporarily enable debug logging and then reproduce the issue, and then attach the server log? Thanks !

viking19
On 06/02/2024 at 23:47, Luke said:

@viking19can you please temporarily enable debug logging and then reproduce the issue, and then attach the server log? Thanks !

I updated the test server to 4.8.1 then enabled debug logs. I played a single track for a few seconds then tried to shuffle a genre with the same results as before. I then closed E4ATV and shutdown the server then the Emby process that hangs.

embyserver-63842982496.txt hardware_detection-63842982507.txt

Edited by viking19
info

• Solution
viking19

I just tried with beta 2.1.02 and shuffle now plays correctly and doesn't kill the server. However, the issue with album art not showing anywhere but the now playing screen remains.

• Thanks 1

Step 1: You go to the media library settings and put (Embedded Images).Check this option.☑️

Step 2: You should remove all the songs you imported after upgrading the 4.8 server.Refresh the directory file after removal.

Step 3: Put the removed files into your music catalog and scan the catalog files once. Then wait to read the song cover.

On 2/8/2024 at 1:03 PM, viking19 said:

I just tried with beta 2.1.02 and shuffle now plays correctly and doesn't kill the server. However, the issue with album art not showing anywhere but the now playing screen remains.

When it was a problem, did the user that you're testing on have a max parental rating, and/or tag restrictions? If yes, do you have a system with the release version of the app on it that you can try and remove those?  Does it happen without them?

viking19
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

When it was a problem, did the user that you're testing on have a max parental rating, and/or tag restrictions? If yes, do you have a system with the release version of the app on it that you can try and remove those?  Does it happen without them?

No parental rating or tag restrictions have ever been used. Are you saying this shuffle genre issue shouldn't be fixed with 2.1.02? I assumed the fix for Playlists also worked for Genres.

1 hour ago, viking19 said:

Are you saying this shuffle genre issue shouldn't be fixed with 2.1.02?

I "fixed" it app side by working around the issue that is currently in the server.  We'd like to get to the bottom of the issue in the server though.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
viking19

Server 4.8.1

E4ATV 2.1.02 :Genre -> Shuffle All no longer kills the server, although it is noticeably slower to start playing than server 4.7.14.

E4ATV 2.1.04 :Album art is showing again in the TV app.

E4ATV 2.1.04 and 2.1.07 :Genre -> Shuffle All does not play only songs from the selected genre as per Shuffle All issue thread and does not happen on server 4.7.14.