'Who's watching' default option

Ninko

Ninko

Since the 4.8 update I've noticed when you load the Emby app it automatically goes into the last users account, where as before it would bring up the user list first, allowing you to select who's watching.

Could this be put back as it was, or at least give an option for those that prefer it that way?

Thanks

Hi.  If you had "Remember me" turned on, this hasn't changed.

Ninko

I always had "remember me" checked, before update and after, and the behaviour has changed on mine.

Uncheck the Remember Me option if you want to be presented with the login screen each time.

Ninko

Won't that require your password every time though?

Ninko

Why can't we have it remember users that have signed in, but have an option where it asks who's watching, like most streaming services?

It's annoying how it goes to the last person who was watching if it's no longer that person, as they either need to remember to change profile or they forget and then watch history gets mixed up with someone else's!

It's not difficult really! 

And I don't wish to use the pin feature, I trust my family members!

12 minutes ago, Ninko said:

Why can't we have it remember users that have signed in

Hi, it can. That is the new profile pin system.

Ninko

But even with the pin feature, it still needs the remember me checked, which will give the same result, logging into the last person's account, no?

3 minutes ago, Ninko said:

But even with the pin feature, it still needs the remember me checked, which will give the same result, logging into the last person's account, no?

No, you get a prompt for the pin first. From there you click change user and that will give you what you're looking for.

Ninko

But that's what I'm saying, I want to see the user list first, so whoever it is can just go to their name and it logs straight in. I don't want to have to keep changing users, it should ask who you want to login at the beginning of watching! This is how it use to work!

I'm not sure you're understanding me.

I am understanding you. I'm just telling you what is available right now. It's only one extra click. But what you're asking is reasonable and more options to control this are certainly possible.

Ninko

Why change it in the first place though? This behaviour has no bearing on the new security, not too mention just makes logical sense!?

Just for the record, it's several clicks in order to navigate to the users drop-down menu and then selecting user, by the time you've done that, you could have entered the users pin, which is the inconvenience I don't want or need!

HI, we are working as hard as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi.  Did you try what I suggested?

19 hours ago, ebr said:

Uncheck the Remember Me option if you want to be presented with the login screen each time.

Ninko
13 hours ago, Ninko said:

Won't that require your password every time though?

Ninko

I haven't no, but like I said, it will ask for my password every time, otherwise what does that setting mean?

Please give it a try and see if it behaves how you want.

Thanks.

Guest CodeCat5
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Or use the new profile pin feature.

14 hours ago, Luke said:

No, you get a prompt for the pin first. From there you click change user and that will give you what you're looking for.

How do you enable PIN entry on a Roku? I'm running 4.8.0.80 and I have "Remember Me" set to "No" on my Roku. When I login to the Roku app it only gives me an option to login with my password and I don't see any mention of PIN's at all in the settings or after logging in/out, switching accounts, etc.

While typing this I decided to try reinstalling. During the setup I did finally see a pop-up asking if I wanted for it to require my PIN each time. I selected "Yes", then the next screen where it asks you to enter your PIN was seemingly frozen since I couldn't navigate around the numbers with the d-pad on my Roku controller. I couldn't enter anything, so I pressed "back" to make the pop-up disappear. I signed in/out and switched accounts several more times, but never saw anything about a PIN again. So, I tried reinstalling again and this time when I made it to the pop-up asking me to set my PIN, I realized I could kind of navigate around the fields but not any of the numbers to enter a PIN. So I was able to go to the top input field and used the mic on my remote to enter the PIN. That seemed to work ok as far as I could tell, but I still see no way to login with a PIN (only password) after once again logging in/out and switching accounts several times.

Ninko

Ok, my findings from switching Remember Me off...

I'm now presented with the select user screen, as I wanted, and am able to go to any user without being asked for anything, which again is what I wanted, great!

2 things though... First I've noticed if trying to switch user without exiting the app, I'm asked for the user password every time, even though I'm not if I exit the app first, this makes no sense to me, surely that's not by design?

And secondly, what on earth does Remember Me mean when it appears to remember you even when switched off?

It seems to me as if the Emby team don't fully know how or what you want to come out of this new login system, I don't understand it at all!

Edited by Ninko

Guest CodeCat5

Yea... I just tested a different TV in case there was something weird about the Roku Streambar that I originally tested with. That was a fresh install of Emby and the initial PIN entry system is completely fubared there as well with no way I could find to actually navigate the numbers or manually enter them with a keyboard/remote.

In a bit of a round-about way though, it looks like ebr may have been correct about you being able to set things up the way you want @Ninko. During the initial setup when I got to the PIN entry screen that doesn't work, I was able to press the down button half a dozen times or so to get to the "OK" button. From what I can tell, it seems to have saved a blank pin, so now when I launch Emby on that TV it presents the login screen and allows me to login to my account with no password or PIN. That's basically the complete opposite of how I need it to work and I sure as hell hope that wasn't intentional, but it might be a work around if you want to switch accounts with no password entry.

Ninko

@CodeCat5technically, but like I say...

2 hours ago, Ninko said:

2 things though... First I've noticed if trying to switch user without exiting the app, I'm asked for the user password every time, even though I'm not if I exit the app first, this makes no sense to me, surely that's not by design?

And secondly, what on earth does Remember Me mean when it appears to remember you even when switched off?

It seems to me as if the Emby team don't fully know how or what you want to come out of this new login system, I don't understand it at all!

11 minutes ago, CodeCat5 said:

with no way I could find to actually navigate the numbers

HI.  Are you sure that maybe you just aren't seeing the currently highlighted number?  What happens if you press the center button?

Guest CodeCat5
1 hour ago, ebr said:

HI.  Are you sure that maybe you just aren't seeing the currently highlighted number?  What happens if you press the center button?

Yup, 100% positive. As I said this was on 2 different systems with a fresh install of the app. 

If you can't reproduce it let me know and I can post a video when I get home. It seems easy enough to reproduce though by installing the app fresh and going through the initial login until you get to the part where it asks for a pin. I saw this on a Streambar and a TCL TV with Roku. 

Edited by CodeCat5