Download with disconnected HDD

eph77341

Q-Droid

You're almost there. The listing below shows why the emby user was able to create those files on your system volume.

HDD not connected.

51 minutes ago, eph77341 said:
root@Diskstation:/volumeUSB1# ls -l
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Feb 11 07:14 usbshare

The permissions for usbshare when the HDD is not mounted should be changed to 755 (rwxr-xr-x) which would keep anyone but root from creating files there. When the HDD is mounted it will overlay those permissions with the ones shown above in your post, which is fine.

eph77341

So should i still use this commands without connected HDD?

chown nobody:nobody /volumeUSB1/usbshare
chmod 755 /volumeUSB1/usbshare

Q-Droid

You can do that and test. I suggested nobody:nobody in case usbshare was owned by a user or group that was allowing emby to create and write. But since it's currently root:root then changing only the permissions (chmod) will have the same result.

• 2 weeks later...
eph77341

So Not writing into System partition seems to be working now, thanks! 

But now i have the problem that emby does not delete watched movies. Only syncing unseen Media is activated. Do i have to enable it anywhere Else oder can i start a Deletion manual? 

2 hours ago, eph77341 said:

So Not writing into System partition seems to be working now, thanks! 

But now i have the problem that emby does not delete watched movies. Only syncing unseen Media is activated. Do i have to enable it anywhere Else oder can i start a Deletion manual? 

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example?

Thanks.

eph77341

I connect a HDD to the server and synchronize my unseen media from Emby to it. Then I disconnect the HDD and watch more media via Emby (watched status changes) and then reconnect the hard disk. I now expect Emby to delete the movies that have been watched in the meantime from the external HDD. However, this does not happen. 

eph77341

Today i got the same problem again, Emby wrote in root directory when the HDD is not connected...

Now i deleted /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby (again). 

So the folder Emby is in the root of the HDD. Emby should not have permission to create it in the root of the server, but should be able to write in it when HDD is connected, correct?

Or do  I have to change further permissions? 

root@Diskstation:~# ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 19  2023 'FOR SYSTEM USE ONLY. DO NOT UPLOAD FILES HERE.'

total 4
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Mar  2 21:42 usbshare

root@Diskstation:/volumeUSB1/usbshare# ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 emby emby 4096 Mar  2 21:42 Emby

root@Diskstation:/volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby# ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 3 emby emby 4096 Mar  2 21:42 Videos

Q-Droid
3 hours ago, eph77341 said:

Emby should not have permission to create it in the root of the server, but should be able to write in it when HDD is connected, correct?

That was the goal.

4 hours ago, eph77341 said:

So the folder Emby is in the root of the HDD.

Emby is the owner of that folder so no additional permissions needed.

3 hours ago, eph77341 said:
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Mar  2 21:42 usbshare

Is this with the HDD connected or disconnected? If disconnected then something changed it back from what you had before, it should be 755 (drwxr-xr-x). If there's a Synology setting changing things I don't know where that is. I don't use Syno.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 4:49 PM, eph77341 said:

I connect a HDD to the server and synchronize my unseen media from Emby to it. Then I disconnect the HDD and watch more media via Emby (watched status changes) and then reconnect the hard disk. I now expect Emby to delete the movies that have been watched in the meantime from the external HDD. However, this does not happen. 

Do you mean using the folder sync plugin?

eph77341
On 3/3/2024 at 2:12 PM, Q-Droid said:

Is this with the HDD connected or disconnected?

This was with disconnected HDD. Okay, then I'll have to come to terms with it and delete the files manually from the root directory...

15 hours ago, Luke said:

Do you mean using the folder sync plugin?

Yeah, at least it seems to be part of it.

In Folder Sync i set up my USB-HDD as directory. And in Downloads i have my chosen unseen media which should be downloaded to HDD.

Under this download-job Emby detects seen media (is not in download list anymore) but does not delete it from HDD (at least if HDD is smaller that media to sync).

I expect Emby to check for seen media, than delete it, and then copy media to HDD. Is this wrong?

image.png.c4eda602e01938ce685ee087ba0b9e0c.png

image.png.191c3e07d1319beb2cdb96f7b0c3c0fe.png

I expect Emby to check for seen media, than delete it, and then copy media to HDD. Is this wrong?

Hi, what led you into thinking this would happen?

eph77341

Because the option "Download unplayed videos only" is described with "videos will be removed from the device as they are fully played".

image.png.76c6d26a479b6d44671b7c7270bd2b8e.png