(Win) Emby Server crashing since 4.8 auto-update

Freman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Happy2Play

@Luke@softworkzUsing your .net 6.0.9 build and Luke's  second sqlite3 post above Windows 7 does not crash.

I know .net 6.0.10 works as that was in .21. 

So it appears something with .net 6.0.26 and sqllite 3.4.2. 

Got second Sqllite (3.4.0) to work with net 6.0.26 also but only tested on .78.

Edited by Happy2Play
Working with 3.4.0 sqllite

Wishmaster20

I have an Emby server running on current hardware with Windows 11 Professional. After updating from 4.7.14.0 to 4.8.0.80, the Server.exe appears in the task manager for a few seconds and then disappears without an error message. The EmbyTray remains visible. I have copied the entire Emby-Server folder to a current notebook (HP Firefly G7) and tried to start the Server.exe there with the same result. 

If I Install the Win 4.8.0.80 version and start it, it works perfectly. I then simply copied the users.db to the programdata\data directory and replaced the programdata\config\users folder. The server stumbles. The Server.exe remains in the task manager, but at 0 percent. Even after an hour I cannot load an admin page. 
Here are the logs of the notebook.... 

embyserver.txt

Edited by Wishmaster20

13 hours ago, Freman said:

I'm about to put 4.7 back on to give me some time while I gather the components for its replacement.  There is neat bit of history repeating itself/DeJa'Vu itself for this old HTPC, I'm looking very hard at the new AMD 8000 series APUs with 35w TDP. (HTPC AM2 to AM5 after a brilliant 15 year stint won't be anything to complain about at all)

AMD is not a good choice for Emby due to lack of decent HWA support.

Happy2Play

All Windows 7 X86 and should apply to Window 8 also but have not tested.

Still getting validation but current temporary fix is copying sqlite3.dll from 4.7 to 4.8 update.

My testing showed sqlite3 x86 v3.39.4.0 through v.3.41.2.0 appear to work.

@Wishmaster20looks like you created a database issue but devs will have to comment further.

SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Error: no such table: main.UserDataKeys - delete from MediaItems where Id in ....................

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

we have identified the issue and the next update will include the fix. 

Thanks to all of you for helping to trace it down!

sw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, Wishmaster20 said:

I have created a copy of the server files and started the update on the original server again. As already mentioned, the Server.exe disappears from the task manager after a short time. Here is the log. 

embyserver-63842818079.txt 57.4 kB · 0 downloads embyserver-63842818014.txt 923 B · 0 downloads embyserver-63842818002.txt 254.51 kB · 0 downloads hardware_detection-63842817986.txt 371.44 kB · 0 downloads

The log shows you database is corrupted.

2024-02-06 12:07:59.208 Info SqliteItemRepository: Upgrading program tags - IsNew
2024-02-06 12:07:59.232 Info SqliteItemRepository: Upgrading program tags - IsPremiere
2024-02-06 12:07:59.237 Info SqliteItemRepository: Upgrading program tags - IsLive
2024-02-06 12:07:59.244 Info SqliteItemRepository: Populating AncestorIds2.Distance
2024-02-06 12:07:59.738 Error Main: Error in appHost.Init
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.0.80
	Command line: C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.22631
	Framework: .NET 6.0.26
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/adm-lwolf/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server - Test/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\system
	SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Corrupt: database disk image is malformed
	SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(sqlite3 db, Int32 rc)
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.StatementImpl.MoveNext()
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.ExecuteAll(IDatabaseConnection This, String sql)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.Initialize(SqliteUserDataRepository userDataRepo, SyncRepository syncRepo)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.InitDatabases()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.Init()
	   at EmbyServer.HostedService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: SQLitePCL.pretty
	TargetSite: Void CheckOk(SQLitePCLEx.sqlite3, Int32)

2024-02-06 12:07:59.740 Info Main: Shutdown complete

You will need to try the steps in the KB

Corrupt Database | Emby Documentation

• Solution

If you're on Windows 32-bit and seeing crashing on startup, we'll be getting a 4.8.1 update out to resolve this. If you need immediate relief, the fix is already in the beta channel in version 4.9.0.1+. Thanks guys.

• Thanks 1

Freman

Wow congrats and thanks for giving the ancient builds a small reprieve from their imminent retirement!

Mine's now going to have a dignified shut now. LOL 

6 hours ago, Freman said:

Wow congrats and thanks for giving the ancient builds a small reprieve from their imminent retirement!

It has turned out that it wasn't an issue with Windows 7 but with 32bit Windows builds in general, which is a quite different story of course.

Wishmaster20
On 2/6/2024 at 5:55 PM, Happy2Play said:

The log shows you database is corrupted.

2024-02-06 12:07:59.208 Info SqliteItemRepository: Upgrading program tags - IsNew
2024-02-06 12:07:59.232 Info SqliteItemRepository: Upgrading program tags - IsPremiere
2024-02-06 12:07:59.237 Info SqliteItemRepository: Upgrading program tags - IsLive
2024-02-06 12:07:59.244 Info SqliteItemRepository: Populating AncestorIds2.Distance
2024-02-06 12:07:59.738 Error Main: Error in appHost.Init
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.0.80
	Command line: C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.22631
	Framework: .NET 6.0.26
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/adm-lwolf/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server - Test/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\adm-lwolf\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server - Test\system
	SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Corrupt: database disk image is malformed
	SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(sqlite3 db, Int32 rc)
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.StatementImpl.MoveNext()
	   at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.ExecuteAll(IDatabaseConnection This, String sql)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Data.SqliteItemRepository.Initialize(SqliteUserDataRepository userDataRepo, SyncRepository syncRepo)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.InitDatabases()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ApplicationHost.Init()
	   at EmbyServer.HostedService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: SQLitePCL.pretty
	TargetSite: Void CheckOk(SQLitePCLEx.sqlite3, Int32)

2024-02-06 12:07:59.740 Info Main: Shutdown complete

You will need to try the steps in the KB

Corrupt Database | Emby Documentation

I have carried out the steps to repair the library.db but the error still occurred in Emby. Unfortunately, I had to delete the library.db and recreate it. As a result, the seen status was lost for all users. But Emby is running again 🙂 that's the main thing.

thanks for the help 🙂

• Thanks 1