(Win) Emby Server crashing since 4.8 auto-update

Freman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

viking19
39 minutes ago, MaxDev433 said:

Hello everyone, I confirm the same problem and error in log and event viewer with version 4.8 and Windows 7 x86 updated.

A clean installation doesn't solve the problem, but by installing the latest 4.7.x everything works but I don't have time to block the updates and the first time I restart Emby it updates and stops.

Regards. 🙂

After installing 4.7.14 don't restart, make sure automatic updates is not checked and save your settings. Then go to AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\updates and delete the files. Now your safe to restart the server without it auto updating to the broken 4.8.

MaxDev433
7 minutes ago, viking19 said:

After installing 4.7.14 don't restart, make sure automatic updates is not checked and save your settings. Then go to AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\updates and delete the files. Now your safe to restart the server without it auto updating to the broken 4.8.

Thanks for the trick, in the meantime I'll plan the OS update.  Unfortunately on old HW it might not be so trivial.

YellowPotato
2 hours ago, viking19 said:

Just to add to that. If you've previously installed Emby Server (that's not working), you need to completely remove it. Just updating the system folder won't work. Also, after downloading the installation files, turn off network connection, install Emby Server, configure it and disable Automatic Server upates & save, then enable network connection. 

For me reverting back to 4.7.14 has resolved the issue.

viking19
2 hours ago, MaxDev433 said:

Thanks for the trick, in the meantime I'll plan the OS update.  Unfortunately on old HW it might not be so trivial.

I've got Windows 10 installed on a old HP G61-320CA laptop with an Athlon II Dual-Core M300 & 3GB DDR2. Very slow but Windows 10 worked fine.

• Agree 1

Jordiet82
6 hours ago, viking19 said:

3 hours ago, YellowPotato said:

Just to add to that. If you've previously installed Emby Server (that's not working), you need to completely remove it. Just updating the system folder won't work. Also, after downloading the installation files, turn off network connection, install Emby Server, configure it and disable Automatic Server upates & save, then enable network connection. 

For me reverting back to 4.7.14 has resolved the issue.

I have the same problem.

Where I can download 4.7.14?

Thanks

@Happy2Play + @YellowPotato: Thanks for the logs.

Unfortunately, the only insight they gave is that it's unlikely due to hw detection. Now, both theories are busted and I don't have another one right now.

Generally, I don't think it's worth putting much more effort into this, because there's no perspective for Emby Server on Win 7. If it wouldn't be this time, then it would still be very soon to break finally. A net8 update is just around the corner and that will most likely be the final RIP anyway. 

And even for those with a light-hearted attitude towards security: Running an OS with a multi-year gap in security updates is insane, not brave  :D  - so it might be time to update the OS now instead of entering more trouble.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes

image.png.06a8170bb70d8205fdb7bb0f2f679046.png

@Happy2Playas a test if you use the 4.7 ffmpeg, ffdetect and ffprobe builds with 4.8, does that resolve it?

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Playas a test if you use the 4.7 ffmpeg, ffdetect and ffprobe builds with 4.8, does that resolve it?

In his log, all hw detection completes 15s before it crashes. That why I said hw detection is busted. 

Edited by softworkz

As a test, can one of you try starting the server from a windows command prompt using this command line:

embyserver.exe -noskia -novips

Does it crash this way?

MaxDev433
6 hours ago, Luke said:

As a test, can one of you try starting the server from a windows command prompt using this command line:

embyserver.exe -noskia -novips

Does it crash this way?

For me yes.

But I have already started on Windows 11, taking the opportunity to clean the installation from scratch.
I keep the old installation on Seven for possible testing.

Application: EmbyServer.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.2623.60508 .NET
Version: 6.0.26
Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 0083AAA3 (00690000) with exit code c0000005.

Name of the application that generated the error: EmbyServer.exe, versione: 4.8.0.80
Name of the module that generated the error: coreclr.dll, versione: 6.0.2623.60508
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Offset error 0x001aaaa3
Process ID that generated the error: 0x1788
Path to the application that generated the error: embyserver\system\EmbyServer.exe
Path to the module that generated the error: embyserver\system\coreclr.dll

7 minutes ago, MaxDev433 said:

For me yes.

But I have already started on Windows 11, taking the opportunity to clean the installation from scratch.
I keep the old installation on Seven for possible testing.

Application: EmbyServer.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.2623.60508 .NET
Version: 6.0.26
Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 0083AAA3 (00690000) with exit code c0000005.

Name of the application that generated the error: EmbyServer.exe, versione: 4.8.0.80
Name of the module that generated the error: coreclr.dll, versione: 6.0.2623.60508
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Offset error 0x001aaaa3
Process ID that generated the error: 0x1788
Path to the application that generated the error: embyserver\system\EmbyServer.exe
Path to the module that generated the error: embyserver\system\coreclr.dll

Can you attach the server log from when you tried that? Thanks.

OK, since that didn't work, the next thing is, can you try replacing sqlite with an older build. Just unzip this in the same folder as embyserver.exe. It will overwrite an existing file:

sqlite3.zip

Let's see if that resolves it. Please attach the server log either way. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, MaxDev433 said:

Same error in event viewer.

embyserver.txt 44.39 kB · 0 downloads

Next test is delete all plugin dll files from these two folders:

$EMBY_PATH$\programdata\plugins
$EMBY_PATH$\system\plugins

Can you do that and then provide the server log? Thanks.

Freman

Just finished checking for missing windows updates, there was just 1 missing Silverlight update. Crashing still

I'm about to put 4.7 back on to give me some time while I gather the components for its replacement.  There is neat bit of history repeating itself/DeJa'Vu itself for this old HTPC, I'm looking very hard at the new AMD 8000 series APUs with 35w TDP. (HTPC AM2 to AM5 after a brilliant 15 year stint won't be anything to complain about at all)

• Agree 1

Freman

Frustrating, I've created a new emby folder in appdata/roaming and dropped the 4.7 system folder into it. I then launch embyserver from it, but by the time I've got through the new install wizard its already initiated the 4.8 update. Where is the config file so I can disable auto-updates prior to launching the 4.7 server?

MaxDev433
11 minutes ago, Freman said:

Frustrating, I've created a new emby folder in appdata/roaming and dropped the 4.7 system folder into it. I then launch embyserver from it, but by the time I've got through the new install wizard its already initiated the 4.8 update. Where is the config file so I can disable auto-updates prior to launching the 4.7 server?

try this

16 hours ago, viking19 said:

CBers
14 minutes ago, Freman said:

Open the \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config folder and edit the system.xml file.

In my file it is line 4, but you need to change the <EnableAutoUpdate>true</EnableAutoUpdate> to <EnableAutoUpdate>false</EnableAutoUpdate>.

Then exit and save the file.

• Like 1

Freman

try this

@MaxDev433

I definitely had not restarted.

Steps

1. Closed crashed emby server tray icon
2. Renamed original emby folder to EmbyServer.bad48
3. Created new folder EmbyServer47
4. Dropped system folder from 7z file downloaded from GitHub
5. Started 4.7 EmbyServer
6. Went through Web interface new install wizard... by the time I'm at the server dashboard 4.8 is either installed or installing.

@CBers

See above for my steps

Before I start Emby4.7 there is no Config folder.

After I start Emby4.7 eventually it creates the config folder and file but the server is running at that point and has already at least started the install of 4.8.

image.png.7e2d691bb9b24ed40d8a553aefb320b4.png

OMG  I've got it to not update. @MaxDev433is perfectly correct, the problem is the language that Emby uses!  See that alert in the photo above, as far I can tell it's a lie. What it's actually trying to say is "Emby Server Update 4.8.0.80 has downloaded please restart to install it".

I read that alert and took it to mean exactly what it says, and I assume I've failed to accomplish the desired outcome and go back retry!

• Agree 1

Everyone here is on a 32-bit system, right? Right now that looks like the common denominator.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1