(Win) Emby Server crashing since 4.8 auto-update

Freman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Freman

I've manually reinstalled Emby Server 4.8 & repaired .Net - same crash.

When trying to open Emby on a device I only get part of the home page (the Home/Favourites top line and then just a spinning wait animation in the center) before the crash happens on the server.

From the server console if I select 'Configure Emby' from the tray icon I will get the whole of the config web page then it crashes, and no links from the webUI will work.

EmbyServer.txt

Screenshot 2024-02-03 175729.png

Win Event Viewer.png

• Agree 1

Marvel77

Good morning, after yesterday's automatic update to version 4.8.0.80 I encountered the same error, the emby server crashes and there is no way to make it work, I tried to reinstall but every time the same error message appears, Possible solutions? I'm waiting for a response.

Cattura.JPG

HI, is windows fully up to date? Is there anything in windows event viewer related to the crash?

@Freman- Windows 7 x86  (or server 2008r2) =>  Really?

It seems(!) to be failing when doing hw detection, but to be honest: it also hasn't been made for working on such old platforms...

Edited by softworkz

Freman

Yes really, Win 7 x86, I am very aware of just how old this machine is, it was my HTPC long before I discovered Emby (was it called MediaBrowser originally?) and plugged it into Windows Media Center. (I've known a full replacement was almost upon me for a while now)

It was originally built around 2009/10 (Athlon Dual Core 4850e with 4gb Ram - due to its 45wTPD 🤩). It's had multiple HDD&PSU replacements over the years, but while it was operating as a HTPC direct to the TV and then (a few years later) changed to the Emby Server with 'Smart' TV, it has worked absolutely flawlessly until this update (avoiding H265 obviously). 

I had always allowed the Windows Update to do the non-optional updates and it is still doing the windows defender updates. I am currently downloading a large compilation of updates (post 2016) to see if any were missed but I doubt any were. I'll report back with the results.

I should also say, that Emby has by far been (and will no doubt continue to be) an awesome part of my home media setup. Thank you for all the time and effort that goes into its development and maintenance.

• Agree 1

If we manage to find out what exactly is crashing, and it's not something crucial, we might not be able to fix it, but maybe disable it.

Do you use hw acceleration for transoding - and if yes - did it even work with the previous server version? (i.e. which hwa)

Edited by softworkz

Freman

It's rarely transcoding, when it does I recongnise it due to the slightly longer time it takes to start the video and sometimes it stutters requiring me to pause the video for a few seconds (I usually give it up to a minute) to let it get going.  Then it will either work to the end of the video (or it will stutter again - when I look at the Management WebUI the transcode will be running at less than the frame rate required - in that case I let Emby do a full side-by-side convert and watch the video another day).

I have the use HW options set in the codec management program I use -  Shark007. I do not know if HW is actually used or not.

Shark007  that was a codec pack, but I don't think it does HW coding.

Can you show a screenshot (in case you reverted to the previous server) of the transcoding options page where you see shark007? I've never seen this 🙂 

Freman

I've always assumed that the setting I've set via Shark007 for the decoders are used when Emby starts to transcode (the LAV Video & LAV Audio tray icons only appear when transcoding is happening)

Shark007.png

Happy2Play

Best guess it will be something in netcore 6 as the lack of support

.NET support for Windows 7 and 8.1 will end in January 2023 · Issue #7556 · dotnet/core · GitHub

I can say that .net 6.0.10 works back on 4.8.0.21, but .net 6.0.26 crashes.

So I would say probably EOL for Windows 7/8 and Emby moves forward with .NET.

8 minutes ago, Freman said:

I've always assumed that the setting I've set via Shark007 for the decoders are used when Emby starts to transcode (the LAV Video & LAV Audio tray icons only appear when transcoding is happening)

Those setings are unrelated to Emby Server. I assume the client is on the same machine? 

What I was asking about is hwa a on Emby Server.

6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I can say that .net 6.0.10 works back on 4.8.0.21, but .net 6.0.26 crashes.

Does it crash in the same way as here?

image.png.a142d8eef33da4651dd02a6c6d9915a8.png

PS: Welcome back, Happy!

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Does it crash in the same way as here?

image.png.a142d8eef33da4651dd02a6c6d9915a8.png

PS: Welcome back, Happy!

Yes

image.png.06a8170bb70d8205fdb7bb0f2f679046.png

6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes

Okay, then it was just coincidental that hw detection wasn't finished yet

Same for this error:

image.png.212727402abb141a87b3f4cc0837f3ea.png

Which can probably be fixed by installing the DirectX 11.1 update for Windows 7 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/platform-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-d97da9ca-c15c-b21f-ebb0-838f7be8d9f6).

The good news though, is that I don't see any reason why it couldn't work with the older net6 runtime. Those revisions have just fixes but no incompatible changes. So chances are not bad that you can get it working by replacing the .net runtime files.

Freman
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Those setings are unrelated to Emby Server. I assume the client is on the same machine? 

What I was asking about is hwa a on Emby Server.

No, the only client(s) are the other home devices such as the LG Smart TV and mobile phones (All connecting to Emby via the LAN). I'm not viewing anything on the Emby Server (The Win7 Athlon) other than the desktop and webUI when I want to see why its transcoding or failing to play something or cleaning up the library.

Then it's getting really mysterious. Do you have any hw detection logs still in your Emby Server log folder? And/or ffmpeg logs with transcoding?

That would be really interesting to see...

Freman

There are no ffmpeg logs, the last time I recall transcoding happening was when I was forced to use a Google/Chromecast TV to access Emby (my Old LG smart TV was also very old and it stopped being able to run Emby{and the other apps} with acceptable performance about a year or even more ago. It was replaced with a new model LG 3 months ago and I'm back to using the native Emby LG App on the TV and have not noticed any transcoding since.

hardware_detection-63842321183.txt

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Let's test @Happy2Play's theory!

Here's a version of 4.8.80 with the net 6.0.9 runtime files: system.zip

(replace the contents of your system folder with this)

Hmm Still crashes.

Application: EmbyServer.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.922.41905
.NET Version: 6.0.9
Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 60FA4778 (60DE0000) with exit code c0000005.

I know the old beta 4.8.0.21still works if I restore it.

Thanks for trying. Then its' probably something else.

Do you see the same DX11VA error like I've shown above?

Or better: can you post a log to compare?

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Thanks for trying. Then its' probably something else.

Do you see the same DX11VA error like I've shown above?

Or better: can you post a log to compare?

Here are the logs from 21 and 78.

embyserver-63842592487.21.txthardware_detection-63842592422.21.txt

embyserver.txthardware_detection-63842592728.txt

YellowPotato

Having same issue with Emby Server running on Windows 7 (up-to-date) on Vmware. In my case its a silent crash though, no pop-up message etc. It had been running fine for a year and then stopped working 2 days ago. After extensive troubleshooting, I completely reinstalled Emby Server with latest 4.8, but still same issue.

embyserver.txt

MaxDev433

Hello everyone, I confirm the same problem and error in log and event viewer with version 4.8 and Windows 7 x86 updated.

A clean installation doesn't solve the problem, but by installing the latest 4.7.x everything works but I don't have time to block the updates and the first time I restart Emby it updates and stops.

Regards. 🙂

• Agree 2