Update 4.7.14.0 to 4.8.0.80, server does not launch

Nostromo86
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Nostromo86

Helllo 
I launched the update 30 minutes ago and my server does not start. you will find the logs in pj. Should we wait? How can I see if the server is doing something?

Help :(
Thx

log.txt

• Agree 1

jameskitt616

I've got the same issue on ubuntu.
It just sit's there and shows "Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly."

pdeliot

Having a look to the log show that database update looks running...

It looks to be in a phase dropping a lot of object.. maybe it can take long time.

If I were you I would wait.

Maybe you could check in the task manager if CPU or disc load is high.. If they are, it would means that "something is in progress".

Nostromo86
12 minutes ago, pdeliot said:

Having a look to the log show that database update looks running...

It looks to be in a phase dropping a lot of object.. maybe it can take long time.

If I were you I would wait.

Maybe you could check in the task manager if CPU or disc load is high.. If they are, it would means that "something is in progress".

Hi Thank you for your response but nothing has changed  see attchment :(

Capture d'écran 2024-02-03 101013.png

Capture d'écran 2024-02-03 101205.png

Nostromo86

Always stuck :( i don't know what to do. I can downgrad? 
if i uninstall, i restore backup and playback, emby still scrape all the information I already had? If so, it's not possible it will take 3 days because I have a lot of content. Does anyone have a solution to uninstall and reinstall without having to rescrap everything?
thx

jameskitt616
1 minute ago, Nostromo86 said:

Always stuck :( i don't know what to do. I can downgrad? 
if i uninstall, i restore backup and playback, emby still scrape all the information I already had? If so, it's not possible it will take 3 days because I have a lot of content. Does anyone have a solution to uninstall and reinstall without having to rescrap everything?
thx

I am on Ubuntu and just downgraded by installing an the previous package.

Nostromo86
18 minutes ago, Galopp said:

Depuis, j'ai essayé de désinstaller l'application serveur. J'ai supprimé tout ce qui concerne Emby du répertoire "AppData-Roaming".
Je l'ai réinstallé, mais après la configuration initiale, la première fois que je me suis connecté, la partie serveur a de nouveau planté et est aussi inutilisable qu'avant. 
Encore une fois, cela était censé se produire après une nouvelle installation.
Le système d'exploitation :
Windows 7 Pro SP1
J'utilise effectivement ce système depuis des années sans changement, j'ai également un abonnement Emby Premiere depuis maintenant quatre ans.

D’une manière ou d’une autre, cette mise à niveau s’est très mal passée. Et comme cela s’est fait automatiquement, c’est très énervant.

mise à jour1 :

Depuis lors, j'ai essayé de remplacer le contenu du répertoire système par la version précédente immédiatement après une nouvelle installation. J'ai pu me connecter au système 4.7.17.0. Mais encore une fois, après le redémarrage, la mise à jour s'exécute immédiatement, ce qui rend le serveur emby à nouveau inutilisable.

I also replaced system with 4.7.14.0 and it works again. I will wait...

• Solution

Hi.  I think you guys just need to be a little bit patient on the first start up.  The new version will do some conversions to your database and, depending on how big and the exact contents and options, this could take a few minutes.

jameskitt616

I dared to update again, waited 5-10 minutes and emby was starting again.
All my art seems to be still there.

Nostromo86
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I think you guys just need to be a little bit patient on the first start up.  The new version will do some conversions to your database and, depending on how big and the exact contents and options, this could take a few minutes.

Thanks for your response. But I waited 2 hours and I didn't see anything changing. Do you perhaps have a tip for seeing the treatments in progress live, please?

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, ebr said:

This is 100% true. Even upgrading from the very latest beta to release takes time. I upgraded and it looked OK so I upgraded both my servers and then I found that no content would play. Then I went through a bunch of gyrations and jumped through many hoops and I even thought I downgraded back to the beta, but I did something wrong and actually just reinstalled the release. But absolutely nothing played. I then went back and tested again and suddenly everything was working on my primary server. Then I retested the backup server and most things would not play but, after a few minutes things started playing and within a few more minutes everything I tested played without problem. 

From this I deduce, although I could be wrong, that some things like paths/utilities Emby uses had to update and that took some time. While my server is slightly above OK it is not as powerful as I would like and so it might be just a little slow during major changes and, after thinking about it, I believe my server was just busy for a while.

Since I allowed my server(s) to stabilize I have had zero problems and all my content works without issue. 

It is too bad, but probably would cause more problems than it cures, that Emby can't just throw up a message and play nothing until all the conversions/upgrades/changes are complete. However, if that were done, these board would probably get so busy the could freeze. I did not like the worry failure to play stuff produced but it was probably Emby's best course through this much delayed upgrade. 

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, Galopp said:

I'm sorry, but this is not a solution to the error I wrote about.
EmbyServer.exe runs to error after a while even if I just start it. So there is nothing to wait for, because nothing can happen. I can be as patient as I want, the error will not go away by itself.
The problem is not that I cannot access the database, but that the process dies.
And this happens even if you have a completely virgin, database-less system.
However, the previous version seems to work, but the system automatically updates it again, which I can't prevent.

So I still hope that you will investigate the error based on the previous messages and find a solution, because it is not enough to just bury our heads in the sand.

Devs will have to confirm but believe 4.8 is no longer compatible with Windows 7.  Somewhere in the 4.8 cycle it stopped working on these old systems.

Tried to test on a VM and can see it just stops working in my test.  Was an upgrade from .21 to .78.  So somewhere in-between there stopped working.

11 hours ago, jameskitt616 said:

I dared to update again, waited 5-10 minutes and emby was starting again.
All my art seems to be still there.

Apologies for the long database migration. Glad to hear you're back up and running.

Nostromo86
On 2/4/2024 at 4:33 AM, Luke said:

Apologies for the long database migration. Glad to hear you're back up and running.

hello, I trust you and I will restart the update. It's been 30 minutes, I'm still waiting and I'm not touching anything. I keep you informed

scb99

In my case the full migration involved a lot of library rescanning and took a day or so.

I think people need to be aware this can be a long process and not to panic

Edited by scb99

Nostromo86
40 minutes ago, scb99 said:

In my case the full migration involved a lot of library rescanning and took a day or so.

I think people need to be aware this can be a long process and not to panic

yes, the biggest problem is that we don't know what's going on. nothing moves. no logs. it's confusing.

visproduction

During the install, check the console tab in your browser tools.  I see undefined variable for 'items' which result is an endless loop.  4.7.14 does not do that, but rolling back to 4.7.14 is pretty much locked out because the update is forced to happen to 4.8.  Even if you succeed in turning the update off by jumping through hoops, the result is not very nice.  System starts from inside a temp cache and the update always appears as needed in the dashboard.

Whatever it is in my setup that causes the infinte loop, maybe unlicensed key, blocked by Emby, Windows 10 32 bit, it has essentially made the 4.8 update and 4.7.14 rollback, pretty much impossible.  I managed to get 4.7.14 running but from a system directory that is in temp cache.  I have no interest in keeping a server running like that.  At this point, I'm done.  The update has killed the server and old version rollback is not stable anymore.

I hope this doesn't happen to others and it's just something to do with my box.  Check the console tab to see if your 4.8 update has a endless loop going.  If it happens to a lot of people, maybe we can get a easy rollback install option.

Edited by visproduction

Nostromo86

Hi its all good, the update finally done after 4 hoursn for information my library.db is 4go. Thank u all

• Thanks 1

nagetech

@fuzzyembyWhen you say it took 7 hours, what happened during that time? Were you able to access your server locally at all? 

Haven't updated yet so trying to get an idea of what to expect so I can plan accordingly. I dont want to start an update at 2PM and not be able to use emby at all without warning my householed members that it may or may not be back for the rest of the day.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, nagetech said:

@fuzzyembyWhen you say it took 7 hours, what happened during that time? Were you able to access your server locally at all? 

Haven't updated yet so trying to get an idea of what to expect so I can plan accordingly. I dont want to start an update at 2PM and not be able to use emby at all without warning my householed members that it may or may not be back for the rest of the day.

Don't know the details of users setups but I well guess this has to be low resource systems.  As I don't remember exactly how long but my stable system only took a couple minutes and got the "Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly." message on web client.

That was with a database that was about 1GB.

AlpinaMIcha

No... same issu. try the update, nothing works. Caused of panic i make no pic of the error message, installed old package 4.7.14.0 - seems it works. plays everything. It was a really stressful moment of panic... And it was the very first time i hab an issu with an update.... Dont know if i try it again...

But i want - cause there is still the information about 4.8.0.80... 😕

Edited by AlpinaMIcha