Play next, Frame Rate switching, transcode settings

dieter3k

dieter3k

Hi,

as result of frustration and looking through all alternative systems from Plex, Jellyfin and AppleTV to my current Shield with Emby Premiere, I have some issues I want to report.

(This is the current Android TV client on Switch Pro 2019)

1. Very annoying, I have seen this has been discussed already, but: Why is there no per-user setting for play next? When you have a living room and are a family, you dont want the kids to watch episodes endlessly. So I turn this setting off, but then when I or others cannot binge anymore. 
  2. Then even more annoying, when play next is switched off, there is also now preview for the next episode (was this working before, Idk). AND when a episode is playing, there is NO next/prev button in the OSD?!! So currently, when episode is ending, I have to wait, manually select next next episode. Really bad.
  3. This is also really hindered by my next issue: why is the framerate switching so slow? When I press play:
    1. Framerate switches: 1-2s
    2. Then blue rotating circle apperars: 1-3s
    3. Playback starts but TV then might to switch the correct color space, so add another 1-2s 
  4. Could Android TV Devs speed up this to already fetch media which Framerate is switching, not afterwards? Ending a episode and starting the next one with the settings is taking soooo long.
  5. Also there is word of a Selection dialog for Audio/Subtitles before playback? I've never seen this working.
  6. Transcoding settings: So I played around with Jellyfin and found something very usefull. When having older interlaced material, right now there is no way to specify any special treatment. Eg. for old DVD content, I dont want to do hardware transcode/deinterlace. Playing this with SW-Decode, Framerate doubling/deinterlace with Jellyfin/Switch AI Upscape looks extremely good, compared to the way it is handled when HW transcoding is enabled now. So I would greatly appreciate having more detailed settings for the codecs there.

Best Regards

IMG_1929.jpg

• Very annoying, I have seen this has been discussed already, but: Why is there no per-user setting for play next? When you have a living room and are a family, you dont want the kids to watch episodes endlessly. So I turn this setting off, but then when I or others cannot binge anymore. 
  • Then even more annoying, when play next is switched off, there is also now preview for the next episode (was this working before, Idk). AND when a episode is playing, there is NO next/prev button in the OSD?!! So currently, when episode is ending, I have to wait, manually select next next episode. Really bad.
  • This is also really hindered by my next issue: why is the framerate switching so slow? When I press play:

Framerate switches: 1-2s

Then blue rotating circle apperars: 1-3s

Playback starts but TV then might to switch the correct color space, so add another 1-2s 

•  

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

justinrh
17 hours ago, dieter3k said:

Also there is word of a Selection dialog for Audio/Subtitles before playback? I've never seen this working.

Are you talking about the options in the item details?  Subtitles are finicky (may or may not display), but the option is there.

image.png.f8cf0385f09d43b1e6733ee9c0009102.png

dieter3k
5 hours ago, justinrh said:

Are you talking about the options in the item details?  Subtitles are finicky (may or may not display), but the option is there.

image.png.f8cf0385f09d43b1e6733ee9c0009102.png

Ok I was not sure this was meant by the option. Thanks.

dieter3k
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Well first I thought this is the default answer to ease requests but hey, with this version:

1. Per user play next settings seem to work here, at least I saw different options for different user now ✅
  2. Buttons are there if enabled ✅
  3. and
  4. Much faster framerate switching there, quite usable ✅
  5. ✅

My complaint now is that on the Switch Pro the default app is much more sluggish than the Android TV app. I guess I have to live with that now and the Switch is just slow compared to flagship phones.

What I also don't like is the still phone-like interface now, with the very rounded material design buttons and large font sizes in TV mode. So if the TV will be phased out, I'd appreciate more work on the big screen UI. The default dark theme is brighter than on TV app, player controls are blindingly white etc.

Also could there be an option to not show the series logo in the player?

And any hope for more refinded transcoding control?

Thanks.

Edited by dieter3k

dieter3k

And any hope for more refinded transcoding control?

Oh I just realized it is there in Advanced. So that only leaves the framerate doubling for deinterlace...

•  

My complaint now is that on the Switch Pro the default app is much more sluggish than the Android TV app. I guess I have to live with that now and the Switch is just slow compared to flagship phones.

HI, at what point exactly do you think it's sluggish?

What I also don't like is the still phone-like interface now, with the very rounded material design buttons and large font sizes in TV mode. So if the TV will be phased out, I'd appreciate more work on the big screen UI. The default dark theme is brighter than on TV app, player controls are blindingly white etc.

It's true that a lot of our inspiration has been drawn from Apple apps. Have you tried the black theme? You might like that on TV.