Question about UHD Drive

all4dom

arrbee99

Would it be worth ripping a few UHD's in both DVDFab and MakeMKV and comparing how they play (direct or not) vs file size vs ripping speed ?

Generally straight rips play fine (direct) for me, but guess there's lots of variations with servers and playing equipment and  wired vs wifi etc etc.

MakeMKV works well, baring the odd decision about sometimes figuring out which version to actually rip. What DVDFab does, no idea.

all4dom

Dvd fab is not too bad to use. Actually very simple, lays everything out for you to see. 

all4dom

The reason why I chose d v d fab is because it has a lot more options and a much nicer interface..

I moved over John Wick and I played it on my Samsung TV and video played direct play no trancoding but the audio transcoded because it was true hd. The video wasn't encoded, actual file. Only thing I need to check is fab maybe able to change then true hd where it will play instead of transcoding

all4dom

@arrbee99 @TMCsw so ininstalled the fiemware but no luck with fab. They alao responded aaking for the log file & said i need a kirby lake or higher for 4k acceleration. Whwn i check the fab settings, it says im uaing quick sync for every thing except vc1.... that says software. Only thing i didnt do was reboot the pc but not sure if that will make a difference. 

make mkv worked but said I needed Java. I'll do that tomorrow & I hope it works after that. I was gonna install intel arc graphics card but im not sure if it will work with fab. I asked them that in my response to them because it does not mention that in the system requirements 

arrbee99

No idea if rebooting helps but maybe nake sure there isn't anything running that automatically updates firmware on say burray drives, for instance.

Hopefully with better firmware that lets you rip 4Ks, you'll at least be able to rip them at decent speed with MakeMKV. Hope the Java things helps.

all4dom

I got a response from dvd fab & I have to send them the log through the feedback & not upload like we do on emby. I asked them if the intel arc card is compatible with dvd fab because it does say kirby lake or higher or a certain graphics card gor 4k acceleration, but it didn't mention the intel arc card. 

I'll install Java, when I get home but what a pain to do 4k. 

TMCsw
20 hours ago, all4dom said:

said i need a kirby lake or higher for 4k acceleration.

This just confirms my theory from above... ...fab is doing a conversion while it is ripping (not a 1 to 1 copy)

MakeMKV uses no HW Acceleration or software transcoding, as it simply copies the BD-UHD stream to a MKV container, on my system it only uses ~30% of one thread while ripping.

Once you get a MakeMKV rip completed let us know how it compares to the fab rip (size, direct play on emby?, ...).

And I suggest holding off on the Arc for now.

Edited by TMCsw
  • Like 1

all4dom

@TMCsw @arrbee99 ok so make mkv worked. Did the movie in under an hour.... that beat fab by about 21 hours but who is counting lol. I moved over the copy to emby & it played, only transcoding the true hd audio because I'm not using a shield. Now I noticed the copied file is about 7 mt2 files & in by, I can select a file & play the movie or all the extras included. 

When I look at the make mkv version with media info, I see everything including all the subtitles are included. 

With dvd fab incan select the main movie only to copy over & then I would have to copy each extra after that. 

Now when I have the fab version on wmby, it included in the description hdr 10, etc, but I don't get with make mkv because I'm guessing it's multiple files.

I was thinking the arc because I figured fab would work with it but i was pricing the cost to build a new server, nothing expensive. I was going to use a 2021 i5 & i was managing to.keep cost at about 600 fpr eveeything. I'm starting to think my server is 7 years old.& that was a cheap build i did also. Server is only for emby, channels dvr, playon, dvd fab any stream & backing up media.

all4dom

I assume you guys split your videos instead of keeping all the files in the main movie folder.

arrbee99

Think you copied the whole thing over by clicking on one of the icons in the top left, maybe second or third from left ?

My preference is to click on the actual image of the Drive (the biggest image by itself in the middle). That'll make it analyse the disc and give you a list of files to rip, like -

MakeMKVCopying1.thumb.jpg.129860dcac1f0d491601e98f281796c4.jpg

Generally I don't care about extras, so just pick the biggest one.

Unfortunately sometimes there can be several biggest ones and you have to pick or copy them all and choose from there. Sometimes the java will label the movie as main feature. Sometimes you get a version with chapters and one without, you want with (it''ll give chapters in the items info if you select an individual item in the list). Sometimes you get versions of the same - Star Wars for expample will have versions apparently the same, the only difference being that crawl they have at the beginning of the movie is in a different language. Slightly different duration or file size are different cuts.

There's an option somewhere to only save the language you want (File > Preferences I think).

Also you can expand the item selected to see and /.or select tracks / subtitles / whatever.

• Like 1

all4dom

It's a blueray file but im probably saying it the incorrect way maybe.

TMCsw
22 hours ago, all4dom said:

Now I noticed the copied file is about 7 mt2 files & in by,

what does that mean? I only speak/write English (and some here have pointed out not very well).

And are you really looking at $upgrading$ Just so fab will work quicker (if you missed my previous comments ‘fab is PRE-TRANSCODING! And therefore lowering the quality)

If emby is working well for you why spend money when it’s working well?

I hope you can take some time to figure out how to use MakeMKV better (yes it is rather pour at Identifying Just what track is what)

all4dom

@TMCsw Sorry.... what I was trying to say is the output file from make mkv was 7 files for john wick. I didn't release right away 1 file was the movie & each other file was one of the special features. When i first copied all the files together over into emby, i had a box that I could check with "t01" being the movie & each other listing being an extra feature. Cover art didn't identify it as a 4k movie. I realized after what each file was.

I was only looking at fab because it has a decent user interface but now that I am getting familiar with make mkv I should be good. 

I was also thinking about the arc card or building a server if I ran into trouble playing 4k. I still may do the server, which i priced at about 500 & change so this way I can also run win 11, which I can't do with my server now.

I understood what you were saying with fab transcoding.... surprised they took that shortcut. I'm getting the hang of make mkv so thanks.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

arrbee99

I have a Ryzen 3700X and 1660Super graphics card in the main Emby PC. I play 4K quite a bit. Far as I can tell, the graphics card barely gets touched. Far as I can tell any fairly recent 'i' something Intel processor with Quicksync can transocde 4K in real time just fine. Generally I have 4Ks and 1080p versions of the same movies, so the 4Ks go to the Shield and the 1080p to the XBox downstairs (which is probably irrelevant, but you never know).

When it comes to MakeMKV and versions, quite often there's questions answered in their forums about that, as in - Hey Guys, I've got 4 versions of 'some movie' listed by MakeMKV, which one should I go for quite often gets a response.

all4dom

@TMCsw @arrbee99 so last night I went & git another uhd & used make mkv & I am now getting used to it. Can't complain. Im even starting to fix some of my other media that I did a long time ago. I am also starting to make my media the original size. Thanks again guys for your help.

TMCsw

@all4dom No need to be sorry I’m not upset at all I just waned to make sure you know what is happening.

I think fab is catering to the majority of users that don’t have the hardware to take advantage of the full UHD spectrum...

I also try to discourage people spending money when it really isn’t needed. MakeMKV is ugly but it works well if do a little digging. Other ugly but good tools are https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download and https://www.filebot.net/ (not free but cheap)

But in the end it is up to you to decide how to handle your media (higher quality rips will eventually require you to buy more storage...) Is it better for you and yours?

anyway this forum is a good place to get good and bad advice (usually good)😄.

Edited by TMCsw