Question about UHD Drive

all4dom

all4dom

I recently purchased an lg wh16ns40 & use dvd fab. The firmware was changed out issue. Could it take hours sometimes for copying of one media. I started last night with John wick, went to bed & right now its only 38 percent done. I bought it from BB. I have read on make mkv forums that there can be issues & sometimes not every piece of media will be copied.

all4dom

@RanmaCanadaI did. I'm using dvd fab instead of make mkv. Dvd fab corrected the firmware for me. My question is why it's still taking so long. Its been copying since last night about 1030 pm. Right now about 65% done. It analyzed then disc no problem but it's just taking long. This is literally my first time doing uhd. I have had no problem with blue ray. I have read that some people have had issues with hardware or the disc, depending where it was bought. The one thing i noticed is it's copying about a half a Meg a sec. Inhale read that also the laser can be worn out but im not sure how to tell. 

It's not going to be done until tonight, my guess, but once it is done I'll try a blue ray & see how long that takes. I got the drive from.amazon & it didn't come in the original box. I may purchase an asus also but I really want to figure this out.

arrbee99

Why so slow. No idea. One of my drives rips at 4x speed, the other is faster. So UHDs are at most an hour. I don't know how to fix. In MakeMKV it gives the firmware version (I think it should be 1.01) and says Libredrive enabled - does DVDFab do the same ?

I guess you used DVDFab software to change it or do DVDFab supply drives with the right firmware hence, I presume, the un-original box.

Google didn't help much, just a few bits about bricking -

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19294

all4dom

Dvd fab rolled back the drive. I'm wondering maybe something with the laser but I will have to wait til this finishes so u can try a blue ray & possibly another uhd disc. I'm not sure if my pc impacts this, it's an i5 about 6 or 7 years old. I really am lost on this.

arrbee99

I really don't know either. Maybe just try MakeMKV, it is free.

all4dom

These are my next steps

1. Try blue ray to see how long it takes.... if that is also a long time then it's the drive.

2. Try another uhd... see if just as long.

3. Make mkv 

4. & if all else fails I'll order the asus drive.

TMCsw

I have the same model (bought over 5 years ago) and use MakeMKV but the drive only rips UHDs at a little better than 1 3x. Even so it shouldn't take any way near a day to rip. I have found the drive to be sensitive to even a tinny finger print on the bottom (read side). You can try gently cleaning the bottom with mild dish soap and pat dry with a lint free cloth (microfiber works great). 

image.png.07ffef03fed805a6f2573f99ee83f4a4.png

Edited by TMCsw
I should prof read better meant 3x

arrbee99

Something could have gone wrong with the firmware update, but I guess there's a good few possibilities. Anyway, sounds good. I'd imagine you can see the speed without needing to rip an entire bluray or UHD though...

all4dom

@TMCsw @arrbee99once this is done ill update you guys. Thanks for your help. Oh, i may also uninstall the software for the drive & re install. I'll try all avenues. 

RanmaCanada

If you bought the drive from Amazon and it didn't come in the original box, it's possible it was a return from a previous buyer who returned a defective drive in its place.  

all4dom

OK so I tried a blue ray after wick finshed & no problem, it worked well. I cleaned the wick disc & tried again & it was copying only a half a Meg a sec.... so same thing... almost 22 hours to finish 

I downloaded make mkv & tried to copy john wick & i got the following error..... the volume key is unknow for this disc,  video can't be decrypted. 

So dvd fab worked but took too long & make mkv didn't so I'll go buy another movie tomorrow & if that doesn't work don't know what to do. I was trying to find a way to contact fab for support.

arrbee99

That MakeMKV error means it needs to download info specific to the disc you are trying to rip, and there's something stopping the download (I think). Or problem their end. Or maybe MakeMKV doesn't have the info available to download, unlikely for John Wick though.

See if this helps -

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24711

Could you maybe check and / or post a screenshot like TCMsw did, to check / show the firmware version and that Libredrive is enabled.

all4dom

@arrbee99i have been talking with some people on the make mkv fourm & someone said I  have to enable internet on make mkv & that I need firmware version 1.0 & I think I have version 1.2 so looks like that's why it's slow & I have to figure out how to notify dvd fab.

all4dom

Hey guys I'm 99% sure it's because of the firmware. My version is 1.2 & I nees1.0, which dvd fab is nit giving me.

arrbee99

Looking at your MakeMKV forum sounds like you need to flash the drive with their software to 1.02 (that sticks) or the 1.00 mentioned. Seems the DVDFab firmware thing didn't stick, as you said.

Course I definitely come under the little knowledge is a dangerous thing category, so listening to be can be pretty risky (wouldn't want to brick anything).

all4dom

I think the firmware is 1.2 right now & someone on the make mkv fourm said I nwws 1.0. I also posted a message in the dvd fab fourm & before indoor anything I'll try support on thier end. If anything I'll pay for the firmware over at make mkv. If I can return my drive I might even just return it to Amazon & buy one already flashed but I think I should be able to get some help over at make mkv with the firmware upgrade. It is a PITA I will say 

all4dom

@TMCsw i sent you a message & thank you & also thank you @arrbee99. I'm just going tgoing Marty's ver 1.0 firmware to hopefully solve the problem.

arrbee99

Merci. I've always considered myself to be a valuable source of useless information...

all4dom

@TMCsw @arrbee99 I got a response from some people over in the fab fourms & they said for 4k acceleration I need a kaby lake or higher processor or a video card. My home server is a skylake processor & no video card . I'm gonna go down to firmware 1.0 & if that doesn't solve the problem then it looks like it's my pc. I was gonna build a new home server but not this second.

TMCsw

I think I see what is happening now (my theory anyway??).

It looks like dvd fab is actually converting (pre-transcoding) the media as it is ripping (that would explain the ~22 hours to rip a UHD movie) and your cpu is just too old to support HW acceleration therefore it is doing it in software(slow). It would also appear that fab is only temporarily changing the firmware to allow UHD ripping while it is active, hence why MakeMKV fails. Again just my theory as I’ve never used fab...

This would mean that changing the firmware is unlikely to help with fab unless it has an option to do a 1 to 1 rip (no encoding). MakeMKV only does 1 to 1 rips so any capable firmware version should enable you to rip at full speed as it puts almost no load on the cpu.

I like many people prefer a 1 to 1 rip as it will maintain the highest possible audio/video quality (same as the original disk. Although this may mean that if your client (TV/AVR/device.) isn’t capable of direct playing the UHD format you emby server (Sky-lake) is probably not capable of transcoding on the fly and will fail to play it at all or be unwatchable due to excessive buffering.

all4dom

Once i downgrade the firmware hopefully one of them work. I have been redoing a lot of my media & almost everything has been direct playing. I will add John wick to emby tonight & keeping fingers it direct plays. What I have been doing is keeping hd & SD audio so I can avoid transcosing just in case. I have been keeping all my media as a 1 to.1. Now I have been looking at building a new home server but was hoping to wait til black friday. I didn't really want to build it now but im pricing everything.