Switching servers issue

utiac
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

utiac

So here is what happens with 2 Emby servers configured via the Emby app on Roku platform and one wants to change from one Emby server to the other. By the way, this is consistent for our Roku TV, an older Roku3 straeming box, and a Roku Express 4K streaming box. Click the left arrow button beside the Home button until you exit back to the prompt "Would you like to shut down Emby on Roku?" You won't get that prompt unless you have more than one instance. Navigate to the "select Server" option and press OK. Select the alternate Emby instance and login. The media (including TV guide) is the same for this Emby instance as it was for the first. To correct this, one needs to completely exit Emby back to the Roku Home menu and (re)select the Emby app. It will then auto log you in to the last selected Emby instance with the correct media and TV guide.

The desired behaviour would of course be media that is unique to each instance. I've read elsewhere about negative implications with Roku caching and this issue seems to fit. I wonder if an Emby instance could clear the Roku cache when selecting a different server? Or perhaps it's not a caching issue and could be solved another way. @utiac

Hi. If you use the user menu at the top of the home page and select "Switch Server" from there, does the same issue occur?

What version of the Roku app are you using?

utiac

Hmm - we have never tried from there and in fact wasn't aware the option existed. However, the described behaviour is the same. After selecting the alternate server and user, there is no server change after login. But if you exit back to the Roku home screen and select the Emby app, server change happens without any new selection of server or user - those options aren't even presented. The Emby app seems to have saved the last selected parameters.

The Emby app on all three Roku devices is Emby 4.1 build 1

@utiacI cannot reproduce this.  If I switch servers, it switches servers properly.

Exactly what two servers are you switching between?  Are they copies of each other by any chance?

utiac

No they are not copies although they share (portions of) a library for Movies and Recordings that is mounted at /mnt/media on the Debian host which runs the 1st Emby instance. The second Emby instance is run via a systemd container started by the host. It has its own IP address and a Live TV m3u that is completely different from that of the host. Both instances are running only on the internal LAN and are not remotely accessible. Aside from that I don't know how else to answer your question "Exactly what two servers are you switching between?"

Systemd containers allow the host to share folders to the container - the container is otherwise completely isolated from the host. As that is the only commonality between host and container Emby instances (except user names), I restarted the container without the shared folder mounted. The libraries were not removed although I could do that in the interest of further testing. So of course, the library files being inaccesible, nothing will play. I rebooted the Roku device closest to me (as that is the only way I know of to clear its cache), restarted the container (which also restarts that Emby instance) and rechecked with the same result I have described.

utiac

If needed for clarity the problem is only with Live TV and the EPG for the different instances. The m3u files load properly and the EPG works as expected on each server when it loads properly. It's just when changing servers that I get the same channel list and EPG on [new server] as listed on [old server]. Attempting to play a channel at that point, Emby reports "Content not available."

Edited by utiac

2 hours ago, utiac said:

If needed for clarity the problem is only with Live TV and the EPG for the different instances. The m3u files load properly and the EPG works as expected on each server when it loads properly. It's just when changing servers that I get the same channel list and EPG on [new server] as listed on [old server]. Attempting to play a channel at that point, Emby reports "Content not available."

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  We'll take a look.

Hi. I still cannot reproduce the issue.  Can you please do the following?

1. Go to the settings in your Roku app and turn on "Debug Options" - all the way at the bottom of general options
  2. Exit the app and then re-start it
  3. Wait about 30 seconds after the home screen loads without doing anything
  4. Switch to your other server and again wait about 30 seconds without doing anything
  5. Go up to the user menu at the top of the page and select "Send Logs..."
  6. Come back here and tell me exactly what time you did that

Thanks.

utiac

Hi @ebr - I must be missing something about your instructions. Are you suggesting (1.) that I enable developer mode on my Roku device using this button press sequence on the remote - Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right. I have no options in any setting to enable debug options. I did read that after enabling developer mode, I can access a debug server via telnet to port 8080 on the local IP. Is this what you want?

No. That will enable you to become a Roku developer and upload ZIPs of your brightscript/scene-graph application to test. You do not need to do this unless you wish to develop applications on the Roku platform.

He wants you to visit your Emby Roku app home screen and then go to the cog/gear at the top right and click it.

image.png.1404bd1f2dcaaa1f15a490f446d0523a.png

Then choose settings from the menu shown. Then choose advanced and it will look like it does below.

image.png.f4c76f53b784f709f793977169390680.png

After change this option to YES you need to press HOME on your Roku remote to exit the application and restart it.

image.png.897d903bf89a35ba582a746c02e3e52f.png

After this you can find the option under your username on the home screen. Recreate the issue after starting the application then go to send logs and click it.

Edited by speechles

utiac

Ok, so I have sent a log at about 2:54 pm Atlantic Canada time. Please let me know if you need another one as I may have fumbled a bit with the steps. Thanks @speechles for the illustrated instructions.

Edited by utiac

Hi. I found three logs but none of them appear to follow these steps:

• Exit the app and then re-start it
  • Wait about 30 seconds after the home screen loads without doing anything
  • Switch to your other server and again wait about 30 seconds without doing anything
  • Go up to the user menu at the top of the page and select "Send Logs..."

I don't see a server switch in any of them...

utiac

Well I assure you I made the server switch. It makes me wonder whether the Emby servers would log the switch at all when it's necessary for me to exit the Emby Roku app to actually make the change happen. It seems to me perhaps the Emby servers don't see the change, only an exit/stop. If they did, you'd think I could also grep the IP change (or some string to inidcate the change) in the logs. What might you suggest looking for in the logs that could/would indicate a server change?  I appreciate the help in sorting this out.

51 minutes ago, utiac said:

Well I assure you I made the server switch. It makes me wonder whether the Emby servers would log the switch at all when it's necessary for me to exit the Emby Roku app to actually make the change happen. It seems to me perhaps the Emby servers don't see the change, only an exit/stop. If they did, you'd think I could also grep the IP change (or some string to inidcate the change) in the logs. What might you suggest looking for in the logs that could/would indicate a server change?  I appreciate the help in sorting this out.

Can you tell us exactly how you are switching servers?

utiac

Yes - tested 2 ways:

A. Press the left pointing arrow beside the Roku remote home button, to exit to the prompt "Would you like to shut down Emby on Roku?" There are three options - Exit, Select Server, Sign Out.  Choose "Select Server", choose the other server, select the user to sign in as. For simplicity there is only one non-admin login right now for user "roku" and that is passwordless.

B. At the top of the Emby home screen, select the signed in user "roku" and select "Switch server". This takes me back to the same screen as in A. after one has (in A.) chosen Select Server. Since the user "roku" has no password, I've never considered the need to sign-out. But that made me think I should try it.

And now we have an answer. If I elect to Sign-out, I'm taken back to the Roku home screen. When I click the Emby app again, I'm presented with the Select Server option and either choice logs me in correctly, provided I have signed out. While I see the need to have passwords in some use cases, in a family household it's not practical, especially with children. However, I do see that if one server is for children there must be passwords for users of the other server. So in our case, the passwordless user 'roku' will have to learn to sign-out. I suppose it's good policy not to leave an Emby instance (via Roku app) running even if no media is playing.

If you can see a case for altering the (passwordless) login logic Emby uses, that's great. Otherwise thank you for dealing with this. Emby is a great media server for our family.

You should not have to sign out.  Can you please do this exact set of steps?

• Exit the app and then re-start it
  • Wait about 30 seconds after the home screen loads without doing anything
  • Switch to your other server using the user menu at the top and again wait about 30 seconds without doing anything
  • Go up to the user menu at the top of the page and select "Send Logs..."
  • Come back here and tell me exactly what time you did that

utiac

Log sent 2:53 pm Atlantic Canada time.  Second one sent 3:01 pm.

By following your instructions ("without doing anything") I cannot myself verify the Live TV listings and EPG are unique between the servers. I need to be able to pull up the Guide data between server switches to verify this. The servers seem to be changing but I need to verify that selecting a Live TV channel plays as expected and doesn't report "Content not available."

Otherwise we are back to my original issue which does resolve by signing out.

Okay, I'm still not 100% clear on what is in the log because there appears to be more activity than the steps I provided.  Looks like switching back and forth multiple times.  Also, why two logs?

But, what I do seem to see is the app loading 184 channels from your server that ends in .5 and 130 channels from the one that ends in .54.  So I'm not seeing where the issue may be yet.

Can you re-confirm it is happening for you?

utiac

I sent two logs because in the second I did switch several times and thought that might be helpful. What you are seeing as far as channel numbers is correct as are the server IPs. I need to prune them some more. But that tells me you _are_ seeing some sort of switching between servers. Be that as it may, if I switch servers via the user menu without logging out I still get "Content not Available" when selecting a channel to play from Live TV.  Not only that, but the channel list and guide have not refreshed - they are the same as the previous server. If I log out, there is no problem - which ever server I select shows/streams Live TV channels correctly.

By the way, in your instructions you say "Exit the app and then re-start it". By this I understand you mean "exit the Emby app on your Roku device, so you are back at the Roku home screen, then select the Emby app and sign in to one of your servers."

Then I wait 30 seconds inside the first server, do nothing, then select "switch server" from the user menu.

Then I select the other server, wait a further 30 seconds while doing nothing, then from the user menu send you the log.

Have I paraphrased your instructions correctly?

11 minutes ago, utiac said:

By the way, in your instructions you say "Exit the app and then re-start it". By this I understand you mean "exit the Emby app on your Roku device, so you are back at the Roku home screen, then select the Emby app and sign in to one of your servers."

Then I wait 30 seconds inside the first server, do nothing, then select "switch server" from the user menu.

Then I select the other server, wait a further 30 seconds while doing nothing, then from the user menu send you the log.

Have I paraphrased your instructions correctly?

Yes, that is a correct interpretation.

11 minutes ago, utiac said:

if I switch servers via the user menu without logging out I still get "Content not Available" when selecting a channel to play from Live TV. 

Let's try this angle instead.  Produce that error and then send the log.

utiac

Ok - done. the log may be larger than expected because after getting the "Content not Available" message I tried to select one server or the other and neither would load. All I had on screen was a spinning squirrelcage. Using the Roku remote back button I was then able to get back to Roku home where I could again select the Emby app, select a server and send you the log via the user menu.

1 minute ago, utiac said:

after getting the "Content not Available" message I tried to select one server or the other and neither would load. All I had on screen was a spinning squirrelcage. Using the Roku remote back button I was then able to get back to Roku home

Hi.  If you go back to the Roku home, the log is cleared so I do not see the error in the log you sent.

Can you not get to our home screen to send the log directly after the error?

utiac

No go - there is no navigation possible after getting the "Content not Available" message and the spinning squirrelcage, except to use the Roku back button to return to the "Select Server" dialog. But at that point selecting either server only results in the same spinning squirrelcage although the "Content not Available" message is gone.

I have to wrap this up for today. Tomorrow I will test again and wait longer for the spinning squirrelcage to perhaps resolve itself.