Windows Script or Plugin to Update Metadata using OS Properties

wixwonkity

wixwonkity

Hi all,

I have a ton of vacation and activity videos in MP4 format. Over the years I have tagged these videos with star rating, comments, tags, titles, etc within the Windows > Properties > Details for each video. I can use them and display and sort by them within the Windows OS.

Is there any way that I can write a script (or maybe there is a plugin) that will "translate" certain file details to the Metadata of the videos within Emby?

Say for example, I have given Windows star ratings to my videos. Any way I could script something to give a Metadata Community Rating of 5 for videos that I have 5 stars for?

I hope that makes sense.

I started using the Metadata Manager to go one file at a time. But, this will take me forever.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi, so i guess this data doesn’t get written into the video file?

wixwonkity
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, so i guess this data doesn’t get written into the video file?

My understanding is, yes, the details do get saved/written in the file itself.

If you give a video file a star rating and add some comments, and then send that video to somebody else (email, FTP, etc) the star rating and comments will remain intact on the other person's computer.

Does this answer your question adequately?

Thanks!

Edited by wixwonkity

Does the date modified timestamp of the file change?

wixwonkity
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Does the date modified timestamp of the file change?

Yes, the file's date modified timestamp changes when you add/edit a detail like stars, title, comments, etc.

OK well the server doesn't import stars or comments at this time.

The title does get imported, but it just depends on where and how Windows writes it into the file. Emby is reading the files with ffprobe. If Windows writes that data in some kind of proprietary way, then it's unlikely ffprobe will utilize it.

visproduction

Possible answer:
ffprobe -v error -of compact output.mp4 -show_entries format_tags=comment
from

• Like 1

rbjtech
18 hours ago, Luke said:

OK well the server doesn't import stars or comments at this time.

The title does get imported, but it just depends on where and how Windows writes it into the file. Emby is reading the files with ffprobe. If Windows writes that data in some kind of proprietary way, then it's unlikely ffprobe will utilize it.

ffprobe/mediainfo can read the metadata just fine as it's held in the general/tag of the container - I think Windows just reads it / allows you to edit it when you query it's properties in Windows file explorer.

@wixwonkityMaybe raise as a feature request - as I used to do this myself for 'home videos' (that obviously had no official metadata) and reading from the general metadata would be a great way to populate this hand crafted data into the emby metadata/database - such as description etc. 

It may already do this for Photo's (it's called Exif data)

Edited by rbjtech

wixwonkity

Thank you to both for your replies. I am going to look into this further and see if I can create a script of my own. If not, I will raise a feature request.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1