Emby Theater on QNAP won't Start Video w/ Audio Passthrough Enabled

goob614

goob614

Running Emby Server 4.7.14.0 on QNAP TVS-871 (QTS 5.1.4.2596)
Same NAS running HD Station 4.2.12 and have tried both Emby Theater 3.0.16 (linked from emby.media) and 3.0.19 (found on same github from emby.media link)
HD Station is going out to AVR via HDMI port.  I was using the Emby for Kodi NextGen addon for Kodi and audio passthrough worked for all formats, but apparently old version of python broke a plugins using future annotations.

Emby Theater on QNAP won't start a video (movie or television) if audio passthrough is enabled.  Tried different speaker layouts, tested each passthrough individually, dynamic range off, exclusive audio mode both off and on.  Upmix audio channels was always off.  Videos with AAC audio 2.0 up to 7.1 works perfectly!  All videos work if audio passthrough is disabled.

Searched for a log for Emby Theater and for mpv on the QNAP via SSH, but could not find one or how to easily enable it.

I know audio passthrough works on this hardware setup of QNAP NAS, HD Station, and AVR, but it's not working from Emby Theater.  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
goob614

I'm thinking this is an issue selecting the correct audio out device.  I had a hiccup after I downgraded urllib to fix Emby for Kodi NextGen.  It took some jiggling in Kodi, but was finally able to select the correct HDMI sound output to get passthrough working again.

I found a post talking about setting this in mpv.conf using the directive:

audio-device=

I'm going to try this to see if it corrects the issue and report back.

• Thanks 1

Hi, currently there is an issue filed with mpv that if it is configured for passthrough but the passthrough fails, then playback will just fail to start altogether rather than having the audio fallback to in-app decoding.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 6:17 PM, goob614 said:

I'm thinking this is an issue selecting the correct audio out device.  I had a hiccup after I downgraded urllib to fix Emby for Kodi NextGen.  It took some jiggling in Kodi, but was finally able to select the correct HDMI sound output to get passthrough working again.

I found a post talking about setting this in mpv.conf using the directive:

audio-device=

I'm going to try this to see if it corrects the issue and report back.

Did this help?

goob614
On 1/25/2024 at 3:51 PM, Luke said:

Did this help?

Unfortunately it did not.  It is likely that I was not able to determine the right device name to add in the file, but since I can't find a log file I'm not sure the config I'm editing is even making it there.