h264 transcoding to h264, not direct playing?

Nyhus

Nyhus

So, I'm curious as to why it would be transcoding to the same format? instead of direct playing. Also curious what this "Recovering from playback error" is, does that mean it initially wanted to direct play but was not able to? I also am curious why it's transcoding FLAC to AAC, when my TV is supposed to support the FLAC format?
This is the TV I am using: https://www.samsung.com/no/support/model/QE65Q70RATXXC/

Usermanual: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202102/20210217131938382/MUSDVBEUR-3.0.6_EM_MUSE_EU_ENG_210104.0.pdf
Converting these files to HEVC fixes my issue, but I would prefer to avoid doing that.

Appreciate any and all help for this :D

The file in question:

image.png.ee6d63b3b512643dcc853c4d5ac79716.png

This is an HEVC example that does not have this problem
image.png.a8b5761cd3df23c2340cca3f414cb2f4.png

image.png.c17cdea90d10842680d65ad0f46b2ada.png

ffmpeg-transcode-2a5345ab-3ae2-4cd6-9e4d-d776cfcd5052_1.txt embyserver.txt

SamES
1 hour ago, Nyhus said:

Also curious what this "Recovering from playback error" is, does that mean it initially wanted to direct play but was not able to?

Correct, that is what occurred.  

FLAC might be supported, but not in streamed (vs DirectPlayed) content.  As the video was being converted due to the DirectPlay error, then the audio must be converted from flac.

BTW, I've disabled flac DirectPlay support in the next release as there have been a lot of issues with flac playback on many models related to audio sync, number of channels supported, etc.

Edit: What model is your TV?  Just saw it

Edited by SamES

Nyhus
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, SamES said:

Correct, that is what occurred.  

FLAC might be supported, but not in streamed (vs DirectPlayed) content.  As the video was being converted due to the DirectPlay error, then the audio must be converted from flac.

BTW, I've disabled flac DirectPlay support in the next release as there have been a lot of issues with flac playback on many models related to audio sync, number of channels supported, etc.

Edit: What model is your TV?  Just saw it

Okay, I understand.

Does this mean that it is the h264 file is being transcoded because of the FLAC audio format, or is there a different reason? I imagine it would be possible to directplay the rest of the file apart from the audio (that would be transcoded) or am I wrong?

Edited by Nyhus

SamES
7 minutes ago, Nyhus said:

Does this mean that it is the h264 file is being transcoded because of the FLAC audio format, or is there a different reason?

Probably a different reason, but it is a generic error thrown by the Samsung player when the playback failed.  It could be an error with the container, video or audio file format or encoding.

If you put the file on a USB drive, connect it directly to the TV and try and play it using the TV's built in media player, does it play correctly?