Which TV is best for Emby Live TV

AxelAxel3

AxelAxel3

I have been an Emby user since way before it was rebranded to Emby. I have come to love Emby Live TV, and I sadly only recently found the plugin VirtualTV. 

I have been a Samsung TV user for a long time as well. But I have noticed Samsung TVs are stupid slow and buggy. I have also noticed Emby for Samsung in the Live TV section is horrible. 60% of the time, I get Incompatible stream even though it works fine on the web client, and about 15% of the time I play even a mp4, I get the same error. And with VirtualTV, it's probably more like 95% of the time. The interface is slow and laggy, etc. (not trying to dog emby here - I am referring to the Samsung TV and Emby both).

My question is for those of you that have used multiple brands and types of TVs, which one would you say works best with Emby Live TV? It looks like the major contenders are Android TV and LG. Would love some input since we are building a house and likely to be buying new TVs!

BillOatman

I'd suggest not running the Emby client on the TV at all.  Get a NVidia Shield and whatever TV's picture you think looks best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Spaceboy
1 minute ago, BillOatman said:

I'd suggest not running the Emby client on the TV at all.  Get a NVidia Shield and whatever TV's picture you think looks best.

this 100%. a firestick would wipe the floor with any tv app, but the shield is the best client device

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

AxelAxel3

I was hoping for a non-second remote option (one for TV and one for Sheild). I have small kids and I have to keep the generic Samsung TV remotes coming in almost monthly because no one can keep up with them. Also for simplicity of use. But I am getting tired of all the bugs and slowness, so maybe it would be worth the hassle. Thanks for your answers, I have not looked into those at all. 

KegTapper

I agree with the others. I have a couple of Samsungs, One LG and some other smart tv. I strictly use firesticks. All set up the same and apps in same order to prevent confusion.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AxelAxel3 said:

I was hoping for a non-second remote option (one for TV and one for Sheild)

I use a Shield on a Samsung TV.  Only use the Shield remote.  Don't know where the TV one is...

• Like 1

AxelAxel3
33 minutes ago, ebr said:

I use a Shield on a Samsung TV.  Only use the Shield remote.  Don't know where the TV one is...

Can you Switch HDMI inputs and change TV volume from the Shield remote?

2 minutes ago, AxelAxel3 said:

I never need to switch inputs so not sure about that but volume is controllable.  Mine actually controls the volume of my receiver (via the TV CEC).

Guest CodeCat5
3 hours ago, AxelAxel3 said:

CEC does all of that on most all modern TV's. If you turn on a connected device then most TV's will automatically switch to that input.

Options

I never have the internet enabled on any smart tv, firesticks only & roku are the worst streaming device to date IMO they are really bad especially if you use emojis on your emby server they do not work in roku and show as some jumbled stuff.

BillOatman
On 1/8/2024 at 10:49 AM, ebr said:

Sadly my wife forces us to have cable still.  And my shield/sound bar remotes don't have source change buttons. :)

BillOatman
On 1/16/2024 at 10:26 AM, Options said:

I never have the internet enabled on any smart tv, firesticks only & roku are the worst streaming device to date IMO they are really bad especially if you use emojis on your emby server they do not work in roku and show as some jumbled stuff.

My daughter and son have a newer firestick 4K and it works great with Emby.  Movies and live TV.  I do agree about Roku.

Edited by BillOatman

Chillout

The LG TV Emby app works good, never had a problem on several different models of LG TVs.

I have similar problem with the Samsung TV Emby app that wont play some content (incompatible stream).

If you are looking for the simplest possible solution,  TV's with the built in Roku's are the way to go.  I have them my kids and my daddy tech support duties are zero because its easy and just works.

• Agree 1

emveepee

Roku TV's are really only acceptable if you don't care about fast direct play recordings and Live TV.  Maybe kids aren't fussy.

Chillout

Roku supports many different formats so it will direct play most content just fine as long as your bitrate supports it.   MCE Buddy converts my recordings to mkv so I dont know if raw format recordings need transcoding.

Roku live TV is more reliable for me than using Windows ET on my HTPC... pauses/rewind/FF better and rarely ever freezes.  Emby Roku doesnt have as many features as the other apps but does its job great.

Edited by Chillout

EZEd
On 1/8/2024 at 8:01 AM, AxelAxel3 said:

My question is for those of you that have used multiple brands and types of TVs, which one would you say works best with Emby Live TV? It looks like the major contenders are Android TV and LG. Would love some input since we are building a house and likely to be buying new TVs!

Axel, I mostly use Android TV devices.  Until now I had external boxes, but over Christmas replaced them all with Android Smart TVs (Hisense).  I just tried live TV again inside of Emby and it works mostly fine.  I use Channels DVR to create my M3U file to send to Emby as a source.  Emby Live TV can play my over the air signal from HDHomeRun just fine but I just noticed that none of the streaming channels are working from the M3U out of Channels.  I rarely if ever use Emby to watch live TV.  I either use Channels DVR direct, HDHomeRun app, Google TV Live TV app or Directv Stream app for live TV.  Don't know why the M3U from Channels isnt working in Emby anymore.  It used to work just fine on the Android boxes.  All of the channels still work just fine inside of Channels DVR so evidently it's something that isn't being passed correctly to Emby.  Still it doesn't bother me much again because I hardly ever have a reason to use Live TV inside of Emby.

My 2cents
Ed

AxelAxel3

(moving post to new thread in light of new info)

Edited by AxelAxel3