“Go Back” issues with 1.7 Samsung Tizen Emby Theater

JonnyP

JonnyP

Samsung Smart TV Tizen app - version 1.7.0

When I try and press the “go back” button the side menu pops up most of the time. Have to select “Home” and go back to main screen but sometimes the side menu is complete blank so I have to kill the app and restart. Happens mostly after watching media for a period of time.
Pretty much the most frustrating experience I have ever had with Emby Theater - been using for close to a decade. 

Why is this happening? It seems like any time the app is updated more issues arise. 
Please fix this - really annoying and makes the app unusable. 

I will try to get photos when it happens and follow up on this thread. 

When I try and press the “go back” button the side menu pops up most of the time

Hi, where are you when you do this? This only happens on the home screen.

roaku

This has been happening to me too lately on the sideloaded Android app on my Shield.

JonnyP

Luke, this happens on Home Screen (which is the intended screen I’m sure) and also on media details screen, and when trying to back out of media actually playing on screen. 
Like I said I will try and get some pics of it. 

3 hours ago, JonnyP said:

Luke, this happens on Home Screen (which is the intended screen I’m sure) and also on media details screen, and when trying to back out of media actually playing on screen. 
Like I said I will try and get some pics of it. 

Hi, it does not happen on the media detail screen. Maybe you're pressing the left arrow key at the left edge of the screen? Then it will show.

JonnyP

I know you are just trying to help but I feel you are insulting my intelligence— it IS happening on the detail screen. 

I will post a video and pictures when I get home from work tonight. 

• Thanks 1

roaku
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it does not happen on the media detail screen. Maybe you're pressing the left arrow key at the left edge of the screen? Then it will show.

I think there is a bug. It's definitely happening to me occasionally in places where it should not.

When it does happen, the app is essentially broken until I close it.

roaku

I've also seen similar behavior occasionally in the Roku app, where pressing back on the remote doesn't end playback, and instead the remote starts interacting with a menu 'layer' behiind the playback. The solution there, too, is to exit the app and start over.

Separately, I've noticed in the dashboard, at least once, that Emby was reporting no active playback when I definitely was playing something on another app. That might not be related to this issue, but it's plausible that if the server doesn't think a client is playing anything, that client might misbehave in unexpected ways.

JonnyP

Happened again tonight - tried to attach video that showed issue in action, but this forum won’t accept the video as attachment. 

Picture attached. IMG_1735.thumb.jpeg.d7b9ada8b5ae2214cfa3bd71f17f4a78.jpeg

JonnyP
Posted (edited)

Just a follow up to that last post, I returned to the home screen using the side menu but now when I go into any detail screen, the menu pops up when trying to push back on remote. 

attached a couple of pics to show this

and please believe me when I say, I am pushing the back button on my remote and not the left button

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

Edited by JonnyP

1 hour ago, JonnyP said:

Just a follow up to that last post, I returned to the home screen using the side menu but now when I go into any detail screen, the menu pops up when trying to push back on remote. 

attached a couple of pics to show this

and please believe me when I say, I am pushing the back button on my remote and not the left button

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

From opening the app fresh, what are the steps to reproduce?

JonnyP

Basically just need to watch some media for an amount of time.  I have noticed it’s probably around an hour of watching - then when pushing back button to return to Home Screen, it happens.  

JonnyP

Update:

Attached is a pic of what happens when I try and back out of a movie and the menu comes up and is blank so I have to kill the app —- so very very very frustrating! What happened to this app?!?

IMG_1739.jpeg

• Like 1

FrostByte

Just FYI.  I've tried to duplicate this numerous times and as of yet can't seem to get anything like in the picture above.  Mine is a 2018 in case you narrow it down to certain years.

On a side note, I just got a firmware update from Samsung.  So, they seem to be supporting older TVs somewhat still.

• Like 1

JonnyP

Luke, any progress on this? 
I really can’t believe how frustrating it is now to use this app that I have been using for years. What happened?

SamES

I think the problem is that we have not been able to reproduce this issue, which makes it hard to resolve.

If you only watch for 1 minute then back out, does this still occur?

We need to be able to reproduce your process exactly to try and identify the issue.

JonnyP

No it’s definitely after watching like an episode of tv or a movie etc. 

I tried reproducing it by doing stuff quickly - I could not - only after watching I would say atleast 20-30min. 

maybe it’s my version of TV software or something..?

I used the native Emby download on the TV (1.6.4) and that’s when I first noticed it, so I went to side load with a usb version 1.7.0 - same issue. 

SamES

So what happens if you let it get to the end of the episode?  Does it automatically return to the episode detail screen?

SamES
4 hours ago, izzy198888 said:

Same here.

What model TV, app version and server version please?

JonnyP

I push back if I don’t want to watch next episode or end of episodes and the pics I attached above happen. 
either the menu comes up during playback or I return to details screen then hitting back again brings up side menu —— I am hitting back on my remote NOT pushing left arrow. 

tv model is SAMSUNG QN65Q70T 65" 4K SMART QLED TV

app 1.7.0

server 4.7.14.0

SamES

I can't reproduce this, so there is something particular about your issue.

• Are you using horizontal or vertical layout for the home screen?
  • Where are you starting playback from?  ie: from the TV shows library, the home screen, etc?
  • Are you starting playback from the details screen or are you pressing play directly from the show/episode tile, or some other way?
  • Are you starting with play, or play all?
  • When you press back, how many times do you press back before the side menu shows?