Strm Extract

TeamB

TeamB

This is a simple plugin that adds a Scheduled Task to Emby that will prob/extract media metadata from STRM file targets.

Why do you need this?
By default, when you use STRM files in Emby it will not prob the target file that is pointed to by the STRM, this is mainly for library scan performance reasons but does leave holes in your library media metadata like durations, stream info etc.
This plugin will try to plug the holes by prompting Emby to do a deep remote prob on the strm target files.

This is going to be slow if you have a lot of Strm files in your system, and even slower if the streams are remote. The scan only needs to happen once for each strm file so if you run this daily then you should be ok as it will only process new strm files with no media metadata.

To use it install the plugin from the catalogue and look in the Schedule Tasks, there should be a new one.

image.png.3d2b1a5217c4db6d83823c0084cc59c7.png

Source Code
https://github.com/faush01/StrmExtract

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

grimevil

Just what I needed, perfect, thanks!!

With my set up, it may finish running by this time next year! 🤣

Edited by grimevil

TeamB
1 hour ago, grimevil said:

Just what I needed, perfect, thanks!!

With my set up, it may finish running by this time next year! 🤣

it would be interesting to hear your feedback on performance, check the emby log and it will show you progress.

you can also stop the task at any time and start it up again with no issues, it will just start where it left off.

TeamB
5 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

The developer info in the catalogue currently reads "null_pointer", just FYI.

yep, that's my user name, its the same for all my plugins in the catalogue

grimevil
2 hours ago, TeamB said:

it would be interesting to hear your feedback on performance, check the emby log and it will show you progress.

you can also stop the task at any time and start it up again with no issues, it will just start where it left off.

Will let you know as I have over 10K of strm files. But so far it is working fine, I can see when they have been picked up as it shows the overlays on them in the top right.

image.png.cce15ba1205a3b14c818302a524af91c.png

• 2 weeks later...
kyma

Hi

Thanks for great job

Just wonder can we have an update to be able to sperate the job

For example to be able to do run the plugin for specific folders , for huge categories it's gonna be very useful function.

Cheers

Edited by kyma

TeamB
On 1/9/2024 at 2:24 AM, kyma said:

Hi

Thanks for great job

Just wonder can we have an update to be able to sperate the job

For example to be able to do run the plugin for specific folders , for huge categories it's gonna be very useful function.

Cheers

How would this help?

You only need to have the extract (prob) happen once for an item and you can stop and start the scheudle task as many times as you want, it will eventually finish all your items.

Just let it run, once it is finished the next run will just process new items.

• Like 1

grimevil

Quick update, worked perfectly and all 10K plus links have all been updated and it now runs on new files. thank you!

• Like 1

TeamB
3 hours ago, liwenliang926 said:

Excuse me, where can I download the DLL file

what dll? if you are referring to the plugin just install it from the plugin catalogue.

sundevil67

Forgive me if this is a bit too OT, but this seems like a good thread in which to post this, where the topic is STRM-adjacent at least.

I have a link to an m3u8 file, updated regularly by my IPTV provider with new programming. I can add it as a source in the LiveTV section, resulting in a bunch of files being added, labeled according to their IMDB IDs (see attached).

The ideal scenario would be some way to batch-identify these files based on the IMDB ID, but the "Identify" function isn't available from the LiveTV area anyway. Since this is something I know a lot of users would find very, very useful, so I figured I'd check in and see if anyone's made any progress on a plugin (or AppleScript?), or any kind of solution since I looked last.

It seems simple on its surface - extract paths from that XML file, generate a STRM file, paste path,  and either add metadata or organize it in some fashion that'd enable Emby to recognize them & get them to show up in a separate library or wherever. It really does sound like something that can be done with AppleScript, but still over my head to actually produce.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 5.10.41 PM.png

TeamB

@sundevil67 you will probably get more traction on this is you create a new thread. Or a feature request in the feature request forum.

sundevil67
On 1/28/2024 at 7:05 PM, TeamB said:

@sundevil67 you will probably get more traction on this is you create a new thread. Or a feature request in the feature request forum.

Thanks... I am pretty sure what I want here isn't going to be on the to-do list, but maybe @Lukewill be able to take a moment & confirm without starting a whole new topic :) Poor guy is a victim of his own responsiveness if that's a word lol

On 1/28/2024 at 7:28 PM, sundevil67 said:

Forgive me if this is a bit too OT, but this seems like a good thread in which to post this, where the topic is STRM-adjacent at least.

I have a link to an m3u8 file, updated regularly by my IPTV provider with new programming. I can add it as a source in the LiveTV section, resulting in a bunch of files being added, labeled according to their IMDB IDs (see attached).

The ideal scenario would be some way to batch-identify these files based on the IMDB ID, but the "Identify" function isn't available from the LiveTV area anyway. Since this is something I know a lot of users would find very, very useful, so I figured I'd check in and see if anyone's made any progress on a plugin (or AppleScript?), or any kind of solution since I looked last.

It seems simple on its surface - extract paths from that XML file, generate a STRM file, paste path,  and either add metadata or organize it in some fashion that'd enable Emby to recognize them & get them to show up in a separate library or wherever. It really does sound like something that can be done with AppleScript, but still over my head to actually produce.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 5.10.41 PM.png

If that's the data in the m3u then that's what you'll get in Emby. Maybe you can find some other external tool to process the m3u, convert it to something better, and then import that into Emby.

sundevil67
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

If that's the data in the m3u then that's what you'll get in Emby. Maybe you can find some other external tool to process the m3u, convert it to something better, and then import that into Emby.

I think there'd still need to be a plugin for Emby that could batch-identify according to the IMDB ID... Applescript could probably do it on this end but it's only really worth it if it's on the fly. Not sure; just was wondering if anyone else had been working on this programmatically, as i know there are some others who have a similar issue... Unless it's 'off the shelf' though, I can't really mess with it.

• 4 weeks later...
Chillout

First of all, I really like this plug-in! So thanks for making it!

Is there a way not to display the url that also contains the login credentials?  Honestly, not sure if this an Emby or plugin issue... Thanks

image.png.4c22e4ae97ba491dfa4bb4c60abc8579.png

grimevil
7 hours ago, Chillout said:

First of all, I really like this plug-in! So thanks for making it!

Is there a way not to display the url that also contains the login credentials?  Honestly, not sure if this an Emby or plugin issue... Thanks

image.png.4c22e4ae97ba491dfa4bb4c60abc8579.png

That is an Emby issue and not the plugin, it is showing the location/file information of the media. 

soderlund91
On 2/3/2024 at 7:05 PM, sundevil67 said:

I think there'd still need to be a plugin for Emby that could batch-identify according to the IMDB ID... Applescript could probably do it on this end but it's only really worth it if it's on the fly. Not sure; just was wondering if anyone else had been working on this programmatically, as i know there are some others who have a similar issue... Unless it's 'off the shelf' though, I can't really mess with it.

You wanna check out the m2strm, it's f-ing amazing and exactly what you are looking for. PM me if you need help or guidance.

Now, On topic. Thx for this tool! Currently running through my 12600 movies and 4000 series (99500 episodes). Progress is about 1% per hour.

sundevil67
5 hours ago, soderlund91 said:

You wanna check out the m2strm, it's f-ing amazing and exactly what you are looking for. PM me if you need help or guidance.

Now, On topic. Thx for this tool! Currently running through my 12600 movies and 4000 series (99500 episodes). Progress is about 1% per hour.

Mac user part of the problem :(

sundevil67
20 hours ago, soderlund91 said:

So I installed an application that allows me to run .exe files in MacOS. When I launch the file, a terminal window pops up & immediately disappears. The only preparation was putting the M3U file in the same directory. I'm sure I'm missing something... do I just need a spare Windows box to run this thing ?

screenshot.png

Edited by sundevil67

soderlund91
1 hour ago, sundevil67 said:

So I installed an application that allows me to run .exe files in MacOS. When I launch the file, a terminal window pops up & immediately disappears. The only preparation was putting the M3U file in the same directory. I'm sure I'm missing something... do I just need a spare Windows box to run this thing ?

Have should not run the file as is i think. Go via the terminal and from there execute.

But lets not hijack this thread. Either PM me for help or there is a dedicated thread on this forum: 

• 4 weeks later...
crusher11

Is this not set up to probe Extras? I have lots of strm files as extras and none have any media info, the scheduled task is taking less than a second to complete.

Not sure if there's an issue or if the plug-in just isn't looking in the first place.

TeamB
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

Is this not set up to probe Extras? I have lots of strm files as extras and none have any media info, the scheduled task is taking less than a second to complete.

Not sure if there's an issue or if the plug-in just isn't looking in the first place.

the plugin does not include extras