Multi version of the same movie

Bobby121418

Bobby121418

Hi,

Can you please say how to merge multiple versions of the same movie so it shows with Versions.

I have currently got multiple files with same names except one is - DVD and other is - HD in the the same folder but they appear as two in the app.

I have tried rescanning the files to see if it gets pocked up but nothing yet.

I am running the latest server version on Synology and using Android app.

Thanks

MBSki

Can you sure exactly how you have them names now? For the example above I would name them:

-Movie (2023) [DVD]

-Movie (2023) [HD]

There are many methods that work, but that's the method I use.

Bobby121418
2 hours ago, MBSki said:

Can you sure exactly how you have them names now? For the example above I would name them:

-Movie (2023) [DVD]

-Movie (2023) [HD]

There are many methods that work, but that's the method I use.

Thanks

I added the brackets and rescanned, but didn't help.

Currently

20000 Leagues under the sea [DVD].mkv

20000 Leagues under the sea [HD].mkv

Thanks

MBSki
39 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Thanks

I added the brackets and rescanned, but didn't help.

Currently

20000 Leagues under the sea [DVD].mkv

20000 Leagues under the sea [HD].mkv

Thanks

First, you're missing the year. Second, what folders are the files in? Do you have them both in your movie library and a folder named "20000 leagues under the sea (1954)".

So, like this: Movies\20000 leagues under the sea (1954)\20000 leagues under the sea (1954) [DVD]

Bobby121418
28 minutes ago, MBSki said:

First, you're missing the year. Second, what folders are the files in? Do you have them both in your movie library and a folder named "20000 leagues under the sea (1954)".

So, like this: Movies\20000 leagues under the sea (1954)\20000 leagues under the sea (1954) [DVD]

Great!

Both files were in the same folder. I added the year in brackets to each, but that didnt work. Then I added the year to the folder name also. That worked

Another question, not sure if I need a  new thread. I have some additional bonus disks for Lord of the Rings. The movies (part 1) and (part 2) appear well. Part 2 is shown in additional material, however the other stuff is in folder named Extras, but in this case these do not appear. Any suggestions?

Many thanks 

tedfroop21

If you want them to show with the movie,  then add the extras folder to the movie folder, like:

I:\emby\Films\The Lord Of The Rings The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)\Extras\appenciecs vol 1.mpg

The Extras should show up just below the Cast when you view the movie.

You can have a look but I have never found meta to match, so I use NFO's and home made meta myself.

Bobby121418
1 hour ago, tedfroop21@gmail.com said:

If you want them to show with the movie,  then add the extras folder to the movie folder, like:

I:\emby\Films\The Lord Of The Rings The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)\Extras\appenciecs vol 1.mpg

The Extras should show up just below the Cast when you view the movie.

You can have a look but I have never found meta to match, so I use NFO's and home made meta myself.

Thanks

Yes the additional material is under /Extras ut they do not show. For all other movies there is no problem. 

What is NFOs?

pwhodges

The paragraph in the guide actually doesn't mention that the folder name and the movie name before the version must be the same (including year and id if present).  The example shows it, but without spelling it out that it must be so.

Paul

pwhodges

Ah - I'd even re-read it to check, but still misread it as "movie name".  Put it down to Christmas exhaustion...

Sorry for the noise!

Paul

Bobby121418
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks Luke.

In the case of the Lord of the rings, given they files are in two parts, I think this causes an issue.

I have tried the version as you said followed by the "-" and also in [ ] but given there is also (part 1) (part 2) in the file name, I think it causes some issue and neither the version appears nor the parts in Additional material.

Also about LOTR, I have material under /Extra and /behind the scenes in the same folder as the movies themselves, as suggested in the Movie Naming posts, with the name of the folder including the year in brackets the same as the name of the film files, but neither appear. This is not an issue with other movie files.

Thanks

I have tried the version as you said followed by the "-" and also in [ ] but given there is also (part 1) (part 2) in the file name, I think it causes some issue and neither the version appears nor the parts in Additional material.

Well you have to decide which one you want and follow the corresponding naming convention.

Bobby121418
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well you have to decide which one you want and follow the corresponding naming convention.

Apologies, I think there is a misunderstanding. The reason I am writing is to ask what else to do because clearly the above methods do not work.

2 hours ago, Bobby121418 said:

Apologies, I think there is a misunderstanding. The reason I am writing is to ask what else to do because clearly the above methods do not work.

What are the exact file and folder names? What is the result that you are seeing? What is the result that you want?

Bobby121418
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

What are the exact file and folder names? What is the result that you are seeing? What is the result that you want?

I currently have:

/Video
 /4K 
  /The Return of the King (2003)
   /The Return of the King (2003) (part 1).mkv
    The Return of the King (2003) (Part 2) [extended edition].mkv
  The Return of the King (2003) (part 2) [extended].mkv 
      /extras
         File01.mkv 
         File02.mkv
      /behind the scenes
         video1.mkv 

Video2.mkv

The two part 2 files have different sizes and I not sure why so for now I am keeping both of them.

I would like to, if possible:

1. The three versions to appear as a single poster. At the moment they are 3 separate posters in my Emby app when I see the content directory.

2. See both part 2s as additional material

3. See the different versions of part 2

4. See the Extras and Behind the scenes files below the cast.

Not sure if all of this is possible, but at least if we could get #1 and #4, that would be awesome.

Thanks

GrimReaper
46 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

at least if we could get #1 and #4, that would be awesome.

You can manually merge those on multi-select: hover over upper-left poster corner, mark all three posters, select Group Versions from three-dot menu upper-right corner of the screen. 

1 hour ago, Bobby121418 said:

I currently have:

/Video
 /4K 
  /The Return of the King (2003)
   /The Return of the King (2003) (part 1).mkv
    The Return of the King (2003) (Part 2) [extended edition].mkv
  The Return of the King (2003) (part 2) [extended].mkv 
      /extras
         File01.mkv 
         File02.mkv
      /behind the scenes
         video1.mkv 

Video2.mkv

The two part 2 files have different sizes and I not sure why so for now I am keeping both of them.

I would like to, if possible:

1. The three versions to appear as a single poster. At the moment they are 3 separate posters in my Emby app when I see the content directory.

2. See both part 2s as additional material

3. See the different versions of part 2

4. See the Extras and Behind the scenes files below the cast.

Not sure if all of this is possible, but at least if we could get #1 and #4, that would be awesome.

Thanks

There's currently no way to have one multi-part movie with different versions of each part. 

You can't have a part 2 without a part 1.

Bobby121418
13 hours ago, Luke said:
12 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

You can manually merge those on multi-select: hover over upper-left poster corner, mark all three posters, select Group Versions from three-dot menu upper-right corner of the screen. 

Thanks I have that. However I still cannot get the Extras. I have checked this post and put the structure as it says but for me it hasnt worked. 

Thanks 

GrimReaper
48 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

I have checked this post and put the structure as it says but for me it hasnt worked. 

Yes, but that user has only stacked files whereas you'd like multi-versioning as well and have 2 Part 2 files, those are not same conditions. 

For test purposes, try naming your files:

/The Return of the King (2003) - 1. [ee].mkv

/The Return of the King (2003) - 2.1 [extended edition].mkv

/The Return of the King (2003) - 2.2 [extended].mkv

see what gives, whether those extras will pop up. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Bobby121418
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Yes, but that user has only stacked files whereas you'd like multi-versioning as well and have 2 Part 2 files, those are not same conditions. 

For test purposes, try naming your files:

see what gives, whether those extras will pop up. 

Forgetting the multi-version for the moment, I am trying to get the Extras to appear. I have tried several different things such as removing the Extras folder and putting it back and completly removing the film files and putting them back but in no way do I get the Extra materials to appear. 

42 minutes ago, Bobby121418 said:

Forgetting the multi-version for the moment, I am trying to get the Extras to appear. I have tried several different things such as removing the Extras folder and putting it back and completly removing the film files and putting them back but in no way do I get the Extra materials to appear. 

Hi there, how are your files named and organized? Have you compared to our movie naming guide?

Movie Naming

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, Bobby121418 said:

So have you tested with above suggestion? 

Bobby121418
22 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

So have you tested with above suggestion? 

I haven't yet, I got into trying to get the Extras, which for some reason does not happen for any of the LOTRs.