VC1 playback not smooth although it directplays

A7xp

Hello,

I use Ugoos AM8 ( uncertified android box ) as my main client for Emby and I use the Emby app in google play store.

The AM8 direct plays everything in Emby and everything in smooth and great except for VC1 content which is the only issue, although it plays in directplay it is not smooth and very slow and juddering. Using Kodi as an external players fixes the issue.

@Lukecan you please look this up?

Thanks

RanmaCanada

VC1 is a problematic codec.  If it plays fine in Kodi, then Kodi is using decoders that are not in the default player.  As it's an uncertified Chinese box, you're pretty much SOL and will be forced to use an external player.  It's why the option to use external players exist as not every single device will play nice with exoplayer.

44 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

VC1 is a problematic codec.  If it plays fine in Kodi, then Kodi is using decoders that are not in the default player.  As it's an uncertified Chinese box, you're pretty much SOL and will be forced to use an external player.  It's why the option to use external players exist as not every single device will play nice with exoplayer.

Everything works perfectly and the device supports everything it has even support for vc1 ( WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080P@60fps ).

+ it being uncertified has nothing to do with codecs and the evidence is that it direcplays everything perfectly even Dolby Vision.

It's just VC1

RanmaCanada
On 25/12/2023 at 14:21, A7xp said:

Everything works perfectly and the device supports everything it has even support for vc1 ( WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080P@60fps ).

+ it being uncertified has nothing to do with codecs and the evidence is that it direcplays everything perfectly even Dolby Vision.

It's just VC1

Which again is a problem with the built in player, which is why they allow third party players.  It is impossible for the devs to address every single hardware configuration, especially in boxes of unknown origin.  More than likely you will need to wait for an update to mainline ExoPlayer before your issue gets addressed.  For now I would suggest you continue to play them as you have, or convert the problematic files to a more compatible codec.  This was a common issue back in the day with 10-bit HEVC files on newer hardware that supported hardware decoding.  We all had to wait for updates for the hardware to have it.  It is also possible that VC-1 might have been dropped by ExoPlayer because it's such a terrible codec.